Rio Olympics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio Olympics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by escog
Cosport just dumped a bunch of tickets on their website for the olympics, including closing cermonies tickets. Act fast.
Got one closing ceremony ticket Btw, do you know any forums that I can find people having similar itineraries, so that I don't need to travel alone. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
Originally Posted by nickli
Got one closing ceremony ticket Btw, do you know any forums that I can find people having similar itineraries, so that I don't need to travel alone. Thanks in advance.
I am also interested in forums for exchanging tickets. Have some extra basketball and beach volleyball that I am interested in trading for other events.

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:02 am

Hello, 1st time here

My wife and I are planning a bucket list trip which includes Olympics.
I see previous messages about Zika virus, crime, and just downright disorganized games. We really want to see the opening ceremonies an have an opportunity to stay near Copacabana beach near the Lemme area.

In your opinion, is it worth it to go to these games or just cancel and wait for Japan 2020?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by tovo
Hello, 1st time here

My wife and I are planning a bucket list trip which includes Olympics.
I see previous messages about Zika virus, crime, and just downright disorganized games. We really want to see the opening ceremonies an have an opportunity to stay near Copacabana beach near the Lemme area.

In your opinion, is it worth it to go to these games or just cancel and wait for Japan 2020?
It will be extremely worth it. Zika is basically a non-issue (just like Asian bird flu and Mexican pig flu and whatever else the media hypes). Everything is basically already built and ready, I think I read last week over 92% is finished. Every Olympics the big story is "are they going to be ready" and the games always happen!!! When will this type of story die! (Pardon my negativity!). Crime is a factor that is not zero. I live here and see it. But the World Cup went off without a hitch due to massive police presence and I expect no different, and frankly even more, for this. My personal opinion would be that Tokyo is so awesome all the time you can go there anytime and it will be great but Rio and Brazil in general is still a third world country that by itself isn't so great to visit for a lot of people but combined with the Olympics make it a win.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:42 am

@tovo--
I'm not sure I'd recommend visiting Rio during the Olympics as a bucket list trip. While the SA winter is a less hot and humid and rainy time in Rio for doing tourist activities, thr major attractions are likely to be overcrowded, as they get during Carnaval and New Years, making life as a tourist more of an endurance contest than at other times. The visiting crowds are likely to tax city services as well.

The media makes much of the Zika virus, but most cities have further augmented the programs in place to prevent mosquitos from breeding, those that they have had for dengue. They have disseminated info about how to do away with problem areas of wetness, and instituted hotlines for help. The media also IMO inflates the crime problem vis-a-vis tourists (vs. locals in local neighborhoods), but if you have never traveled in a developing country, act on the side of caution. Those few tourists who may have encountered a problem often trumpet this online, but the vast majority who have a pleasant tranquil trip only show photos to friends and family, so the reports are quite skewed.

Rio is a city of incomparable beauty, well worth the effort to get to, but Brazil has many other attractions as well. There are charming, red tile roofed Colonial gold-rush towns in the spectacular mountains of Minas Gerais state. The city of Salvador still retains the culture of the Africans who were settled there, and the UNESCO World Heritage architecture, the music and area islands and beaches are wonderful. There is a national park several hours away that is a major attraction for visitors. Recife/ Olinda is another very interesting area, with a distinct culture and music, a Colonial architecture, a quirky sculpture park and studio, and gorgeous beaches nearby. Beaches up and down the coast, from lively to deserted, are amazing, particularly in SA summer. And of course, there are the magnificent falls at Iguacu.
So if you decide not to travel for this particular Olympics, perhaps consider a trip at another time, one long enough to include some of the sights mentioned above.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Apr 11, 2016 at 9:03 am
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
@tovo--
I'm not sure I'd recommend visiting Rio during the Olympics as a bucket list trip. While the SA winter is a less hot and humid and rainy time in Rio for doing tourist activities, thr major attractions are likely to be overcrowded, as they get during Carnaval and New Years, making life as a tourist more of an endurance contest than at other times. The visiting crowds are likely to tax city services as well.

The media makes much of the Zika virus, but most cities have further augmented the programs in place to prevent mosquitos from breeding, those that they have had for dengue. They have disseminated info about how to do away with problem areas of wetness, and instituted hotlines for help. The media also IMO inflates the crime problem vis-a-vis tourists (vs. locals in local neighborhoods), but if you have never traveled in a developing country, act on the side of caution. Those few tourists who may have encountered a problem often trumpet this online, but the vast majority who have a pleasant tranquil trip only show photos to friends and family, so the reports are quite skewed.

Rio is a city of incomparable beauty, well worth the effort to get to, but Brazil has many other attractions as well. There are charming, red tile roofed Colonial gold-rush towns in the spectacular mountains of Minas Gerais state. The city of Salvador still retains the culture of the Africans who were settled there, and the UNESCO World Heritage architecture, the music and area islands and beaches are wonderful. There is a national park several hours away that is a major attraction for visitors. Recife/ Olinda is another very interesting area, with a distinct culture and music, a Colonial architecture, a quirky sculpture park and studio, and gorgeous beaches nearby. Beaches up and down the coast, from lively to deserted, are amazing, particularly in SA summer. And of course, there are the magnificent falls at Iguacu.
So if you decide not to travel for this particular Olympics, perhaps consider a trip at another time, one long enough to include some of the sights mentioned above.

For this time around, I really just want to see the tourist traps while seeing the Olympics. Christ the Redeemer and the take the cableway to sugarloaf mountain. Do you think there will be long lines to these tourist destinations?

If I will staying at Copacabana north end, what is most efficient way to get to Opening Ceremonies without taking too much time? Car or this new metro line(4?) they have opened up?

Last edited by tovo; Apr 11, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tovo
For this time around, I really just want to see the tourist traps while seeing the Olympics. Christ the Redeemer and the take the cableway to sugarloaf mountain. Do you think there will be long lines to these tourist destinations?

If I will staying at Copacabana north end, what is most efficient way to get to Opening Ceremonies without taking too much time? Car or this new metro line(4?) they have opened up?
tovo, do you have your hotel reservations yet? If so, where did you find them?

As for lines at Christ the Redeemer and cableway, I suspect the lines will be very long. Just think of all the foreign visitors that will be in Rio for the days of the Olympics.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:11 am

The lines will likely include every Olympic tourist in town. Sugarloaf has small ski mountain type cable cars. The Cristo has a small cog train or a couple of small vans to the very top. Do the math. Read some of the online griping from Carnaval time. Be there ahead of opening time to minimize the wait.
IMO Rio loses a great deal of its flavor when it's overflowing with foreign tourists very much like yourself.

You do not want to drive in Brazil, particularly in Rio. You and your family likely don't have a clue about how to handle yourselves if something were to happen. GPS doesn't give a clue about what kind of area it is sending you through.
Use bus, metro or yellow taxis with their cooperative name and phone painted on the back fender.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Anyone heard if Chase was going to set up a lounge in Rio like they did in London?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:07 am

I haven't heard of a Chase lounge at Rio (yet). Chase announced it around June in 2012 and the website they used is no longer available (www.visaviplounge.com/chase). Was the London lounge busy? I'd think with all the multitude of Chase cards that are eligible it would be.

Any word on when tickets will be mailed out?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

In London the lounge was very busy.

As for tickets, I suspect that they will go out in late June or early July. I know for London, we only got our tickets a couple of days before we left.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:45 am

CoSport's latest email says tickets will be mailed in mid-July.

We have 1 set of tickets to be mailed but the rest we decided to pick up at the venue to save on the obscene shipping cost ($35!). I'm sure the lines will be long but I'm assuming we can pick up the rest of our tickets (for different days) all at once and won't need to wait in line every day we have an event?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Are your tickets from different accounts? Even if you ordered at separate times, but from the same account, you only get charged one shipping fee.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
From a U.S. site that covers swimming:
The construction of the venues has also been behind schedule, which will affect both spectators and athletes. For example, the water polo venue has been delayed and will not be ready in time for the games in August. Also, because the venues are split across the city, spectators will have to travel a large distance. There was supposed to be a motorway and a train built to transport spectators to the different venues, but will not be ready in time for the games.
In addition to these problems, some of the key venues for the games do not have running water or electricity
https://swimswam.com/ioc-vice-presid...m-towards-rio/
Old May 14, 2016, 11:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Transportation Secretary Rodrigo Vieira announced Friday the metro's opening date will be pushed to Aug. 1 -- just four days before the Olympics' opening ceremony. Vieria said the line would operate at half-capacity during the games, forcing officials to limit its use to people associated with the Olympics and not the general public.

During the Summer Olympics, which will take place between Aug. 5-21, only athletes, spectators, press pass holders and personnel will be permitted to use the metro line as it runs at half capacity.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-Ne...1341463240027/

You really have to wonder how much testing and debugging will take place prior to opening, and if all the electrical, mechanical and communications components will function at 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.