Reload this Page >

Rio Olympics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio Olympics

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was the party on the second floor outdoor patio area over the front entrance and looking toward the beach? What was the deal with hotel security, which seemed quite strict about not letting people enter
who weren't hotel guests?

Also, did DL give you trouble about going to Brazil without a visa? For me, on two trips, it was a big issue for me five times, at MSP and at my connecting airport (ATL and DTW) plus when trying to do OLCI for the second, but not the first, trip. IMO DL really needs to do something about their agents who cannot use TIMATIC properly.
The entrance for the party was to the left of the main hotel entrance as you face the hotel, on the outdoor terrace with one side viewing the lovely pool, the other side Copacabana Bay-- with great security agents at the door with metal detectors, etc. Very friendly, as opposed to the hotel entrance agents who were not interested in helping at all.
I actually have a Brazil Visa so it wasn't an issue for me.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I spent 8 days in Rio during the Olympics. Super Super fun, efficient, very few issues. Security was GREAT, anyone complaining about that is completely nuts-- for them to have had no major incidents at such a huge international event (when the Brussels and Istanbul airports, Brussels city, Paris, and Orlando have had huge events in recent months) located in a 3rd world country-- is amazing. I have been to Brazil many times in the recent years and am simply thrilled at how well it went.
Ticketing, public transit, security, it all went without a hitch. I went to 10 events in 7 days at 5 different venues.
Can't wait for Tokyo!
+1. We were in Rio for 17 nights, and had an absolute blast. Our first proper Olympics (we did the closing ceremony for London, but that was it), and we loved every minute of it. Rio and Brazil did a fantastic job. Wish we could be back there doing it all again!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Wish we could be back there doing it all again!
Carnaval happens every year. Come on down.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How are hotel rates looking for this coming Brazilian fall? Is there any sign that any building up for the Olympics has resulted in a positive impact for tourists interested in lower hotel prices than at a comparable period in the prior year?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How are hotel rates looking for this coming Brazilian fall? Is there any sign that any building up for the Olympics has resulted in a positive impact for tourists interested in lower hotel prices than at a comparable period in the prior year?
Yes, lower prices have already been seen in the spring. Now that there even more hotels in operation, we shall see even more impact on the rates.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C010T3
Yes, lower prices have already been seen in the spring. Now that there even more hotels in operation, we shall see even more impact on the rates.
So this year rates are already in decline. Hopefully, early next year it will be even better.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
I don't think that statement is logically valid. The reason for such low rates in spring was because the country was economically paralyzed and at the peak of the crisis. That isn't the case anymore. For this fall I am seeing flight prices to gig from the US about twice as high as they were in spring indicating recovery. my guess is hotel prices don't go back to spring levels but due to increased supply remain under pressure.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:03 am

2016 New Year's packages for Rio at high end hotels are the same or higher than 2015. With the real appreciating it could be quite a bit more expensive.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Esmjb
I don't think that statement is logically valid. The reason for such low rates in spring was because the country was economically paralyzed and at the peak of the crisis. That isn't the case anymore. For this fall I am seeing flight prices to gig from the US about twice as high as they were in spring indicating recovery. my guess is hotel prices don't go back to spring levels but due to increased supply remain under pressure.
I don't understand your use of "was". Spring 2016 -- at least astronomically speaking -- for Brazil hasn't yet started.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:15 pm

I don't understand your use of "was". Spring 2016 -- at least astronomically speaking -- for Brazil hasn't yet started.
Sorry, I meant spring and fall relative to the US seasonal calendar.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:21 pm

Sorry, I meant spring and fall relative to the US seasonal calendar.
You lot are more fastidious than I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.