Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

*A departures 'super' lounge at LHR T1 - Now Open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A departures 'super' lounge at LHR T1 - Now Open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ajamieson
IOn Sunday morning I was able to grab a newspaper, a giant hot bacon sandwich and a huge glass of orange juice and be out again in 10 minutes - just what I needed.
Oh aj, you will be disappointed. The bacon baguette rolls have been credit crunched : downsized from a manly 7 or 8 inches to a measly 3 or 4 inches.

I had to have 2 this morning pre-toastie.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: QR Plat, TK *Gold, SV Silver, HH Diamond
Thumbs up

I'm a relative newbie to the whole FF/lounge access game, but I've managed to use the LHR T1 *A lounge as well as a few others in the past couple of months. I enjoy it, but I won't make qualitative statements, since I may not know where to set the bar, having never used a BA lounge, or lounges in the Far East, which I hear are great (I'll be in NRT and TPE come December, so we'll see).

As for the LHR T1 *A lounge:
Food
Choice is great. Not tried hot food, since I don't do normal meats. Sandwiches are great, cut in quarter triangles so you can vary your choice. Some hot Indian snacks, again great. Had a Tuna Nicoise salad once. Cookies are ok, though not soft. There have been Chocolate brownie slices on occasion, and some quiche slices.

There are two serving counters, the one round the corner on the right usually seems quieter.

Drink
I don't drink [alcohol] so can't comment. On the non-alcoholic front, a nice selection of regular sized cans. Strangely, there's no water on-tap, so you have to open a bottle; since you might not want to finish it seems a waste. There's apple and orange juice on-tap. Coffee is OK machine-fare. I really enjoyed the tea from London Tea. The Earl Grey was lovely. I've even ordered some from their website.

Wi-Fi
There is free Wi-Fi, just ask for details at the desk. Some of the staff don't seem to understand the details of the SSID, but you can work it out. They should give you a slip with the password.

Ambiance
It's true that there is no natural light in one half of the lounge, but I still think it's nice. There are a few lounger type chairs which are good. There is lots of seating. On the left (as you enter), there are some windows, so that's where you might want to sit if you need to photosynthesise.

Toilets
Nice, though maybe not the very best. Clean when I've seen them

Not tried the showers, or the businessy bit. But I like it. Not as crammed at the SEN lounge at FRA. I have been informed of the BMI lounge a couple of times when doing an LHR-DUB, but they're fine letting me in. Thumbs up from me ^

Last edited by Saracenn; Oct 30, 2008 at 10:22 am Reason: typos
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:10 am

Programs: bmi
Lounge confusion...

...I have a United 1st booking LHR - LAX to see parents at Xmas. (Thank you DC for miles + cash!)

Am I right in thinking that United Int'n 1st/*A /bmi business/1st lounge are all the same thing?

(Sorry, did actually go back and read that there IS more than one lounge...)

Any input on the First Class areas gratefully received. Ta

sorry, yes, I know - question, questions.

Last edited by maj09; Nov 4, 2008 at 4:20 am
Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by maj09
Am I right in thinking that United Int'n 1st/*A /bmi business/1st lounge are all the same thing?
The current LHR T1 departure lounge list is :

*A Super Lounge : Business and *G in the section to the left of reception, First Class to the right.
BD International lounge (gate 14) : Business upstairs, diamond club downstairs
BD domestic lounge : Business downstairs, diamond club upstairs, through the doors.

so you will be able to use the First Class section of the *A lounge

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 4, 2008 at 8:27 am Reason: deleted parents !
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:16 am

Thanks O Flyer - it's myself rather than my parents that are flying. I was confused by the plethora of lounges!

Presumably if I've a United 1st boarding pass, recommendation is for the *A First lounge? Anyone tried this yet?

Also I'm intrigued by the T1 / T2 airside link, does this work both ways? And if so, would there be any reason for me to visit any of the T2 lounges?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:31 am

there be any reason for me to visit any of the T2 lounges?
Er.....NO.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, AF Gold, AA; Marriott Silver, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Also I'm intrigued by the T1 / T2 airside link, does this work both ways? And if so, would there be any reason for me to visit any of the T2 lounges?
The only reason I can think of, is that there is no champagne in the T1 business lounge (maybe they do in the First lounge) and the Senator lounge in T2 has some German sparkling wine or posseco.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Er.....NO.
Ah.

Pretty emphatic response there! Just what I'd expect from FT - thanks for that and other responses.

When I'm back after Xmas I'll do my *A Lounge First Class 'section' report. Should we wait with bated breath....?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by whkchan
German sparkling wine or posseco.
Mouthwatering.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Ah.

Pretty emphatic response there! Just what I'd expect from FT - thanks for that and other responses.

When I'm back after Xmas I'll do my *A Lounge First Class 'section' report. Should we wait with bated breath....?
*A 1st lounge report here, It seems that the food offerings have been downsized, no hot offering.
If you drink you might be happy, large selection of booze. I don't touch the stuff so I am rather bummed.
I think I need to wander to the BMI lounge because I am not impressed here.
I miss the SQ 1st lounge in T3
*****Edited to Add*****
YOU NEED TO ASK FOR HOT FOOD!

Last edited by BDLORD; Nov 15, 2008 at 2:43 am Reason: details
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EI Elite, A3 Gold
well i was in the T1 star lounge yesterday and there was both mushroom soup and thai chicken - possibly more around the corner i didnt look - i do like this lounge and almost religiously the lounge ladies remind me that bmi have their own lounge

I have not noticed a first class section to this lounge however as indicated in a previous post
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
when you are speaking to the lounge dragons you go left to the biz section, and the first class section is the corridor to the right of the dragons den
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Access to the T1 *A First lounge....

Popped into the First class side of the T1 *A lounge for the first time last month on a UA ticket.

Noticed a couple of people enter a few minutes later who turned out to be on the same flight but traveling in C.

So.... how/why did they have access?? MP 1K/UGS perhaps?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, PC AMB, Hyat Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Ah.

Wasn't that impressed by it back in Oct early Sunday morning....not a great breakfast selection I have to say. Not been in it at other times of the day, so maybe it gets better
Old Nov 15, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by surturminn
Wasn't that impressed by it back in Oct early Sunday morning....not a great breakfast selection I have to say. Not been in it at other times of the day, so maybe it gets better
Agree. Went in there last week for the first time and the food for vegetarians sucked i.e. there wasn't really any except for cookies and mini danishes. I shall be going to the BD lounge when I fly UA again in a few weeks as there is no advantage for a vegetarian using the *A lounge. The other down side of the *A lounge is that is was very busy where as the BD lounge is usually very quiet and relaxing and they have a better choice of reading material too. I prefered when UA were in T3 when I could go to the SAS lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.