Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BMI still status match?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, bmi DC, BA Exec, CO OnePass, AClub Gold
Sorry I dont mean to whinge but I think it has quite a lot of logic. It undermines the principles of an alliance in effect. If I am *G they will happily give me lounge access (and I think BD's lounges are great just to add!) but no food on the plane? Yet if I put only 3000 miles onto a BD account they will. However I do not wish to do this as I prefer to put all of miles in one place to keep up a higher star alliance status level.
What I was also trying to say was that if the star alliance allows you to earn status, and receive priviledges across the various carriers, it is a bit unfair they do not extend the Blue Plus benefits at least to *G's only.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, PC AMB, Hyat Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by carledwards
Sorry I dont mean to whinge but I think it has quite a lot of logic. It undermines the principles of an alliance in effect. If I am *G they will happily give me lounge access (and I think BD's lounges are great just to add!) but no food on the plane? Yet if I put only 3000 miles onto a BD account they will. However I do not wish to do this as I prefer to put all of miles in one place to keep up a higher star alliance status level.
What I was also trying to say was that if the star alliance allows you to earn status, and receive priviledges across the various carriers, it is a bit unfair they do not extend the Blue Plus benefits at least to *G's only.
most *A carriers have perks for their own members - seats in E+ on UA for example, so if you're that fussed about the free drink, credit the 3000miles, or if the sign up promo is still there, go that way.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I know where you're coming from, but the StarAlliance benefits are specifically defined. Food and Drink, if bmi chooses to give that to it's own frequent flyers, are not one of those defined benefits. I get the impression bmi does extend other benefits it's not obliged to give, e.g. seat blocking, to *G who aren't DC members, but at some point it has to make a differentiation to show that it values it's own frequent flyers.
There was a time when no-one had to pay for food, and then a time not so long ago when everyone had to if they wanted.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by surturminn
most *A carriers have perks for their own members - seats in E+ on UA for example, so if you're that fussed about the free drink, credit the 3000miles, or if the sign up promo is still there, go that way.
thanks for your replies.

I see what you mean, being a UA flyer I think i would be annoyed if a load of BD*G members started taking up economy plus seats (unless they pay for them hehe) and there are a lot of other benefits of Mileage Plus specifically for UA flights. However as a general rule they do not come into effect until you reach 25k, where as BD's Blue Plus is only 3k, something that is unique from any other star airline I guess. I just thought they may make a gesture of upgrading my Diamond Club account to Plus, considering it is not a big leap up, even though I do not credit status miles too it. You cant sign up for a new Diamond Club account to get a promotion as its against the rules.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: bmi, BA, Emirates
I see what you mean, being a UA flyer I think i would be annoyed if a load of BD*G members started taking up economy plus seats (unless they pay for them hehe)
I made quite a few trips with United and always got upped to at least Economy Extra (or Biz, one time even First) for free until about 2 years ago.

Frankly I'm really p'd that every time I ask for emergency exit, they've always been allocated... I was first at check-in last week, requested it twice in the lounge and then again at the gate, and they've all gone to.... Guess what? the tallest was 4' 3" and the youngest at least 80. These people don't fit the IATA guidelines so how the hell do they get these coveted seats? I'm fit, 6' 2", 36, (sorry, I know it's not a dating site), qualified PPL, qualified CPR and first aid, *A gold..... and I never get exit row seats. Answers to how I can get them by PM, please.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:18 pm

May I then invite you to fly with the alliance that revolves around you, where even standard published benefits come with a long list of fine print.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Porker1972
I made quite a few trips with United and always got upped to at least Economy Extra (or Biz, one time even First) for free until about 2 years ago.

Frankly I'm really p'd that every time I ask for emergency exit, they've always been allocated... I was first at check-in last week, requested it twice in the lounge and then again at the gate, and they've all gone to.... Guess what? the tallest was 4' 3" and the youngest at least 80. These people don't fit the IATA guidelines so how the hell do they get these coveted seats? I'm fit, 6' 2", 36, (sorry, I know it's not a dating site), qualified PPL, qualified CPR and first aid, *A gold..... and I never get exit row seats. Answers to how I can get them by PM, please.
hehe. I have never gotten a free upgrade to First in the last 2 years either, and I am a UA frequent flier. In order to select the emergency exits, you have to be a Premier Executive (*G) member of UA. I had one for the first time on my last UA longhaul as the E+ seats left were no good. I know its an unusual system, but at least Mileage Plus has some benefits
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Cool Tuesday is the day

This might be common knowledge (I have found no reference anywhere). The Diamond Club Status Match updates are done on Tuesdays. I have had several emails exchanged with Diamond Club regarding my status match and they only reply on Tuesdays. I was matched on a Tuesday too.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:41 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
The Diamond Club Status Match updates are done on Tuesdays. I have had several emails exchanged with Diamond Club regarding my status match and they only reply on Tuesdays.
Either this is a myth, or today is an exceptional Wednesday. Thanks Joanna!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I am tempted to match since BD may soon be eaten by M&M!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I am tempted to match since BD may soon be eaten by M&M!
I just sent in a request for this exact reason.

Crossing my fingers for the match!

Last edited by roadtripman; Dec 5, 2008 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I would not be surprised if all recent status matches were denied migration at the higher level across M&M. LH likes people who fly and carrying out a data cleanse before migration would definitely make sense especially since LH don't traditionally status match.

Don't forget LH did not take part in the recent AZ Star Alliance status match which has been offered.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
This might be common knowledge (I have found no reference anywhere). The Diamond Club Status Match updates are done on Tuesdays. I have had several emails exchanged with Diamond Club regarding my status match and they only reply on Tuesdays. I was matched on a Tuesday too.
Funny, my SO was matched on a Thursday. Thanks a lot Joanna!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:33 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Speculation, speculation...

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I would not be surprised if all recent status matches were denied migration at the higher level across M&M. LH likes people who fly and carrying out a data cleanse before migration would definitely make sense especially since LH don't traditionally status match
I'd be very surprised if anyone had their status cut during migration. Of course it's true that LH generally doesn't match, and I do expect Diamond Club to stop matching well before the schemes are merged, but 'purging' matched members makes little or no sense.

From a purely practical point of view, the numbers involved are small and the problem (to the extent that it is a problem) will resolve itself naturally within a short space of time. Anyone who's been matched but doesn't actually fly much will simply fail to meet M&M's (tougher) requalification requirements.

Secondly, from a legal point of view LH might also be on dodgy ground if they tried to treat us as "status cheats". Since being matched, and being told in writing that I've got *G status for the next 12 months, I've booked and paid for several *A flights. Sounds like the basis of a legally binding contract to me (and very much in the spirit of what airlines that grant status matches are trying to achieve).

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Don't forget LH did not take part in the recent AZ Star Alliance status match
True, but that's not really a parallel situation. I'd guess that studying what happened to Swiss TravelClub is more likely to yield clues as to what Diamond Club members can expect. LH can swallow a couple of matched elites without getting indigestion.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
Secondly, from a legal point of view LH might also be on dodgy ground if they tried to treat us as "status cheats". Since being matched, and being told in writing that I've got *G status for the next 12 months, I've booked and paid for several *A flights. Sounds like the basis of a legally binding contract to me (and very much in the spirit of what airlines that grant status matches are trying to achieve).
I don't have any concern for LH keeping your status, however from a legal perspective there is no issue at all if they want to lower your status or even grab all your miles. All FF programs have some legal T&Cs about them being able to end operating, or change their program terms unilaterally at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.