FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Does BMI still status match? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/690485-does-bmi-still-status-match.html)

FlyerTalker7654 May 7, 2007 3:53 am

Does BMI still status match?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Im currently a Gold with UA, having got a status match with them as I was a Gold for a couple of years with US Airways. Ive also got Blue + or something like that with BMI when I signed up last year.

This year however, Im doing more routes to DUB and Paris as well as a couple of trips to Vegas, and was just thinking it would be better for me to fly to DUB and Paris with BMI.

So, would BMI match my UA gold status?

Thanks for your help.

EWANMEBABE May 7, 2007 3:55 am

talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire ???

NickB May 7, 2007 3:58 am

In principle, BD will not match from within *A. Since you are UA Gold, you will have all the *G benefits and, as blue plus, you will also get the front of the plane+free catering. So, all you are not getting by not being matched is the 35% elite bonus, so it is not the end of the world, imo. Just build up your status by crediting to BD, using your UA*G card for lounge access for now. That will enable you to partake in the complaining of how awful the DUB lounge is. :)

BTW, you can no longer fly to Paris with BD.

troyb May 7, 2007 8:33 am

Will BMI match from Delta and/or American? If so, what levels would they match to from DL Gold and AA Plat and what documentation do they look for?

Thanks!

T

kawoh May 7, 2007 8:41 am

bmi

I'm guessing BMI might match Delta or AA, but what you'll need are the following:

* Copy of your current Tier membership card with the relevant carrier
* Copy of your historic flight history to get status on that airline, particularly strong if it's on a BMI route
* Flights booked with BMI upcoming - good reason for them to bump you up a tier status - ie they're going to get plenty of extra revenue if you're going to jump ship from BA to them.... particularly if it's in biz class.

Guy Betsy May 7, 2007 8:48 am

And to start with - you would need a UK address.

BD would prefer to status match you if they can pull you away from BA - that is their main competitor.

You may change your address back to the US after a year of maintaining your status match.

I've known people who tried to status match when they're outside UK and BD says no. Or they have a UK address for a few weeks and after they got BD Gold, changed their address back to whatever it is, only to receive an email from BD to say that their Gold status is being revoked.

That's my opinion.

ajamieson May 7, 2007 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 7699922)
Or they have a UK address for a few weeks and after they got BD Gold, changed their address back to whatever it is, only to receive an email from BD to say that their Gold status is being revoked.

Really?

troyb May 7, 2007 12:39 pm

Really??

That's too bad, I had no idea you needed a UK address. Guess my idea to credit my LAX-AKL mistake fare to a BMI account isn't going to work. Oh well.

Thanks for the help.

T

GoldCircle May 7, 2007 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 7701421)
Really?? That's too bad, I had no idea you needed a UK address.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

diamond club May 8, 2007 2:12 am

I don't agree with this either, once you've earned/been issued gold you will keep gold for 12 months. It doesn't matter where you live. You can also join dc without a UK address, you just need to pick the Rest of the World option on the application form.

jjpb3 May 8, 2007 6:27 am

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 7701421)
Really??

That's too bad, I had no idea you needed a UK address. Guess my idea to credit my LAX-AKL mistake fare to a BMI account isn't going to work. Oh well.

Thanks for the help.

T

You don't need a UK address, trust me. ;) A friend of mine got BD Gold via status matching, and he used his Canada address.

(Always trust diamond club's response, BTW.)

troyb May 8, 2007 9:58 am

Yea, I was just able to join BMI using a US address, or at least it appears that I have joined.

As far as matching status (hopefully to Gold), what will that give me exactly, other than the 25% bonus? I assume I will still have to earn the 36,000 miles before the extra miles turn to destination miles, right? The reason I am considering this is I have no *A status and got in on the LAX/SFO-AKL C deal. My calculations show that this should earn me a little over 35,000 destination and elite miles if I credit to BMI with no status. What extra benefit would I get from matching to Gold prior to this trip? Can I use the *A lounges on a domestic USA itinerary if I am BMI Gold?

Thanks for all your help.

Troy

troyb May 8, 2007 9:59 am

Originally Posted by jjpb3 (Post 7705738)
You don't need a UK address, trust me. ;) A friend of mine got BD Gold via status matching, and he used his Canada address.

(Always trust diamond club's response, BTW.)

What airline did he match from and what documentation did he use? Thanks for your help.

DeltaFlyingProf May 8, 2007 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jjpb3 (Post 7705738)

I wonder who that could be!!! :confused: :p :D

jjpb3 May 8, 2007 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf (Post 7707037)
I wonder who that could be!!! :confused: :p :D

;) :D

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 7706829)
What airline did he match from and what documentation did he use? Thanks for your help.

DL, I think. I've PM'd him your question, and the reply will come when he's on the ground again. :)