Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Definitive guide to the bmi Mastercard 20000 mile deal + guide to redeeming bmi miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive guide to the bmi Mastercard 20000 mile deal + guide to redeeming bmi miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Thumbs up

Ok, thanks for this very helpful thread, I am now the proud owner of a BMI Classic Card as of last week. Found MBNA so far to be very professional and non-irritating so far. (Which is good going for a financial services company) Even the Payment Protection sell-in wasn't too bad and they didn't push it when I declined.

Quick question though as a few people have mentioned there are sometimes problems with the bonus miles posting to the wrong DC account if they set one up by mistake for you. My card was activated at the end of last week and the expenditure is in my MBNA account. How long does it typically take for the bonus miles to post? I'm not expecting them to be in account yet (and they are not ) but if they are posted in error then I'd rather raise it sooner rather than later to save on-going confusion.

Thanks again for the help of everyone (especially the OP) - great stuff.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
you dont need to worry yet. if you sign in online with mbna you can watch it all happen. you can set up a direct debit online so you dont pay exorbitant interest if you forget the date.

the online page also alows you to monitor your spending. at the end of the month you get a little calculation at the bottom of the spending total showing how much you have spent and how many points they are giving you. EG:
DIAMOND CLUB MILES UPDATE
1,992.00 TO DIAMOND CLUB
11,140.90 MILES EARNED
2,649.60 BONUS MILES
.00 MILES ADJUSTED
13,791.37 MILES BALANCE

when your money goes in on the due date, your points seem to go the same day to the relevant DC account.

if you have got two DC accounts just tell DC and they will merge them, or speak to MBNA to change the a/c they are going to
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:42 am

Thanks antichef. Really useful to know what will be happening in the future in the account. I feel much happier knowing that ^

I'm just thinking about how easy this all is to earn miles via the sign-up bonus and on-going spending.....long may it continue!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
sorry only answered half your question. the above refers to the normal spend eg for first use etc.

the 20000 bonus arrived within 28 days of first use.

you do know you get a double bite for booking bmi on the card dont you? you get points for the spend per £ and no credit card fee .... subject to my warning on an earlier thread this month that it had happened to me this month.

hope that helps

Last edited by antichef; Dec 4, 2006 at 11:49 am Reason: spilling mistak!!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by antichef
sorry only answered half your question. the above refers to the normal spend eg for first use etc.

the 20000 bonus arrived within 28 days of first use.

you do know you get a double bite for booking bmi on the card dont you? you get points for the spend per £ and no credit card fee .... subject to my warning on an earlier thread this month that it had happened to me this month.

hope that helps
Thanks for the extra info on the 20000 bonus. That helps!

I did know about the double bite on the booking after reading the earlier posts. In fact one of my first transactions was a couple of flights from LBA to LHR for next year. Saw the issue with the £4.95 fee coming up on the email confirmation as well. Sure it won't come up on the credit card bill though as per your earlier post.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Exec, BMI DC
Another Question

Hi Chaps/esses

Thanks for all your advice earlier re getting this card.

Just a quick question, I've tried MBNA and as I've not got the card yet they won't answer......

I assume you only get points on your spend? Would you get any on balance transfers?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Benjurs
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: Meh!
No - cash spend only, not on balance transfers.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Quick question please.
If my husband gets a card, can he buy a ticket for ME as he doesn't fly. I already have a card and have been accepted for a 2nd one.
Thanks so much for a very interesting thread.
Margaret
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by braefoot
Quick question please.
If my husband gets a card, can he buy a ticket for ME as he doesn't fly. I already have a card and have been accepted for a 2nd one.
Thanks so much for a very interesting thread.
Margaret
Yes. You can also, for example, book a one-way out using his miles in your name and book another one-way to come back using your own miles.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Hi all,

Despite being the OP, I actually have a question reagarding redemption stopovers...

Does the stopover have to be in the destination zone? For example could I go FRA (zone 2) - HKG (zone 8) with a stopover in BKK (zone 7)?

Thanks,
Lewis
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, you can stop off anywhere on route. I went LHR - BKK - SYD with a stop in BKK
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by rogerj
Yes, you can stop off anywhere on route. I went LHR - BKK - SYD with a stop in BKK

I believe that the stopover must be outwith Zones 1-2 (Europe).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Good thread with some interesting tips and hints.

Just like to add some of my experiences and hints:

More Champagne Sir? wrote
Once you’ve found the flights you want and confirmed there is availability, call +44 (0) 870 606 9977 to book the flights.
Use 01332854274 instead of the expensive 0870 number
Sourced from here
saynoto0870

Raffles
In general, remember that the credit card companies have really tightened up in the last couple of years as default rates have risen. Make sure you cancel any other MBNA cards before applying, and don't apply for any other cards (or indeed credit of any sort) for a month or so before you apply.
I had a problem when I held a Virgin Amex card (for Virgin FF points-nightmare )
I was refused a BMI card as they both give a 'special' (IMHO not that good )BT rate in the first 9 months and MBNA wouldn't allow one to hold both cards whilst their 'special' rate was still current
I have duly cancelled the Virgin card and have now successfully reapplied for a BMI card.

Randalf wrote
The only caveat is that you do need to leave an amount of time between applications, since credit searches will affect your credit rating if too many are seen to be done in a short space of time.
Depends on your current credit rating, but I hold 7 credit cards at present and apply\cancel them on a regular basis.
Recent successful applications were 28th Oct, 27th Nov, 31st November
My total credit for all the cards is in excess of 50K

Uk1 wrote
t would be interesting for reference purposes if others could give an indication of:

1. How many cycles of cancelling cards and successful reapplications have others completed?
4 and counting
- (i've just cancelled our first lot and succesfully reapplied)

2. Has anyone been refused because it's a reapplication?
NO, the closure letter actually encourages you to come back in the future.
3. What is the elapsed time between cancelling and reapplying are people observing.
Recent cycle was
opened 7th April closed 19th May Opened 5th July closed 14th August

Then I opened a Virgin AMEX card
Now I've sorted the Virgin fiasco I'll wait till the bonus miles post then cancel, wait 4 weeks then reapply.
RAPc wrote
Quick question though as a few people have mentioned there are sometimes problems with the bonus miles posting to the wrong DC account if they set one up by mistake for you.
I thought I had speeded the process up by actually phoning them up as opposed to applying on-line.(Did this as the Virgin card had really screwed things up!)
Card etc turned up in less than a week^
1)Then found out that despite telling the CS rep my BMI number, they'd setup a new one.
Got BMI to cancel this but still waiting for the 20K miles and the 49 for the spend
2) My wifes application was refused.
She rang up to find out why and they'd spelt her name wrong so there was no credit history.
Credit agent changed the name and she's now been accepted
My advice is apply on the web, if they reject you then ring up and ask why!

Older thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583228
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:24 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by blindman
I thought I had speeded the process up by actually phoning them up as opposed to applying on-line.(Did this as the Virgin card had really screwed things up!)
Card etc turned up in less than a week^
1)Then found out that despite telling the CS rep my BMI number, they'd setup a new one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583228
This might be of interest to others re-applying.

When I cancelled the first lot and reapplied - once the new account numbers were confirmed I went on-line via my old accounts and before I spent anything ie before I triggered the 20k and adopted the new account numbers into my old username and password. I did this for my wife and myself. The 20k went to my existing BMI accounts once I'd spent - automatically.

Jeff
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by uk1
This might be of interest to others re-applying.

When I cancelled the first lot and reapplied - once the new account numbers were confirmed I went on-line via my old accounts and before I spent anything ie before I triggered the 20k and adopted the new account numbers into my old username and password. I did this for my wife and myself. The 20k went to my existing BMI accounts once I'd spent - automatically.

Jeff
Please explain, but I don't think it matters, you could ring them up and confirm what number they have for your BMI account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.