Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Definitive guide to the bmi Mastercard 20000 mile deal + guide to redeeming bmi miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive guide to the bmi Mastercard 20000 mile deal + guide to redeeming bmi miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nuttyphilt
Shame - the 20,000 miles would come in quite handy. Oh well, time to cancel my existing MBNA card then reapply in a few months.
After a great SQ miles and cash redemption in J recently I decided that I do want to stick with DC after all and applied for the classic card yesterday. However, I first phoned MBNA on 0800 7831 116 to cancel a dormant card I've had with them for years. When I explained that I was doing this as a precursor to applying for a new MBNA-operated card, the agent actually recommended that I leave the old account open for the time being and she would put in a transfer-close note on the existing account, so that the MBNA staff processing the credit limit side would know to transfer the limit from old to new card (or something like that). I could then cancel the old card at a later date. She suggested that this would be looked on more favourably than simply cancelling the old card before the new application.

My application online was successful, but I'm assuming that this part doesn't take into account existing MBNA credit as that appears to be sorted out by a real person at the next stage (which I am currently awaiting).

So, if you have existing MBNA cards, it might be worth calling them to indicate that you want to transfer credit limit rather than cancel first. YMMV - so might mine actually, as I've not had the application completed yet
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Last week I applied for a new (fee) card on-line, and it the end of the application process it displayed approval and the credit limit. I've been using a non-fee card for a few years, which I now plan to cancel (and re-apply for some time in the future probably).
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: BD Gold
Originally Posted by Cargo Cult

So, if you have existing MBNA cards, it might be worth calling them to indicate that you want to transfer credit limit rather than cancel first. YMMV - so might mine actually, as I've not had the application completed yet
TBH, I'm not interested in the credit limit so I'll just cancel first then apply a few months after...

I've found with MBNA cards that I've held in the past is that they throw credit at you every few months if you use them regularly (and even if you don't use them regularly )
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:23 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
[QUOTE=nuttyphilt]TBH, I'm not interested in the credit limit so I'll just cancel first then apply a few months after...QUOTE]

What they mean is that you should be interested in the credit limit, but for different reasons. The reason that you could be being declined is that you are already at your maximum credit limit with MBNA, so to give you another card, would be to essentially give you a credit limit increase.

Other people on this board have reported being declined, then calling back and asking if they reduce their credit linit on the existing card, and apply it to the new application would they be accepted, and some of them have been. So, definately get interested in credit limit!!

When I explained that I was doing this as a precursor to applying for a new MBNA-operated card, the agent actually recommended that I leave the old account open for the time being and she would put in a transfer-close note on the existing account, so that the MBNA staff processing the credit limit side would know to transfer the limit from old to new card (or something like that). I could then cancel the old card at a later date. She suggested that this would be looked on more favourably than simply cancelling the old card before the new application.
I actually had a Virgin card that I had for a balance transfer which I called to cancel the day before I applied for the BMI card. I told them, that I was canceling because I hate Virgin and was never going to fly them again, AND that I intended to apply for the BMI card -was told 'no problem'. I called to apply for the BMI one, and was told they would give me a decision later down the line, I was accepted with a credit limit lower then with my Virgin card. When I called to ask why, they found out the Virgin card hadnt been closed down, which I then did, and they reallocated the credit to the BMI card. So it would seem there is something to this.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Also when you call to 'activate' your new card (read: MBNA try to sell you payment protection insurance!) then you can ask for your credit limit on the card to be reduced - I halved the limit on my new card (a) because it was much more than I needed and (b) because I wanted to keep some clear for my next application (silver, non-fee). Can also set up a D/D over the phone at this point to take the full amount out your bank account (just to make sure you don't end up paying any interest/late fees etc.).

Cheers

A.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
MBNA definitely operate a "top limit" on credit allowed. I took up this deal last month after advice read here ^ thanks.

As i use it for business use only and lots of flights I asked them to match the existing limit on another business card which it was to replace. Faxed them a copy of proof of existing limit. They did this. This is to be paidby DD from business a/c. at normal bank

When I asked for another card (for personal use, for payment by DD on a personal a/c at same normal bank ) they were going to decline me. As i didnt want that, they would only give me a card if i took some of the set limit off the business card and allocated it to the personal one.

I am happy enough to play this game for a while until they are "happy" with my repayment record and up the limits. I pay off in full, so no difference to normal use - the bonus of 14000 destination miles on the spend and 20000 free miles for use was helpful.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I've managed to get hold of a fee paying card after twice being turned down for the basic one. I've now received a letter welcoming me to Diamond Club but I'm already a member so now I've got 2 accounts. Can I merge them into 1?

Chris
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
now I've got 2 accounts. Can I merge them into 1?

Chris
Its not so much a merger, but if you call bmi and explain what has happened they will transfer the miles from the wrong account, into the account where they should have gone, and close the wrong account.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Exec, BMI DC
Spouse Card and Redemption Booking

Hi There

As a recent BA Orphan - no regional and poxy seat allocation rules. I've followed the above advice to get myself and a wife a fee free card.

Now we intend to follow the advice about cancelling and getting a fee card in about 2-3 months.

However I've just transferred around 35k of Amex MR points to my new account.

One question I have is that if my spouse and I want to book a redemption do we need to have the correct mileage in each account or can you just pool them ala BA Househould account?

If you can't pool can you transfer from one to the other?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Kind Regards

Benjurs
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Benjurs
One question I have is that if my spouse and I want to book a redemption do we need to have the correct mileage in each account or can you just pool them ala BA Househould account?

If you can't pool can you transfer from one to the other?
No and nope.

But, you can book as one-way awards for no additional cost.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:25 am

Thanks

Thanks jbfield for your prompt response!

So just to get this straight (sorry It's Friday and I'm knackered!) if we needed 60k miles each + cash. Assuming I had 80k and her 40k we can't book until she reaches 60k?

I understand that the one way rewards add flexibility for dates and can get you in F if J/C is not available if you break your trip. But how would you get round not having the 60k?

Am I being 'fick?

Basically we want to go to Zone 7 in J/C with miles and cash. I guess we'll have to spend £13,333 on her card to get her to 60k.

Cheers

Benjurs
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:34 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Benjurs
Thanks jbfield for your prompt response!

So just to get this straight (sorry It's Friday and I'm knackered!) if we needed 60k miles each + cash. Assuming I had 80k and her 40k we can't book until she reaches 60k?

I understand that the one way rewards add flexibility for dates and can get you in F if J/C is not available if you break your trip. But how would you get round not having the 60k?

Am I being 'fick?

Basically we want to go to Zone 7 in J/C with miles and cash. I guess we'll have to spend £13,333 on her card to get her to 60k.

Cheers

Benjurs
It is easier for you to get to 90k and to book a one way for her. She can look after the other half of the ticket with 30k of her 40k. You can book one way with BMI for half the return cost.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:36 am

Aha!

Penny's (finally) dropped!

Thanks all!^ ^ ^ ^
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by uk1
It is easier for you to get to 90k and to book a one way for her. She can look after the other half of the ticket with 30k of her 40k. You can book one way with BMI for half the return cost.
.... is the correct answer.

You book 3 one-way tickets (2 in your name, 1 in hers), she books 1 one-way (in her name). Net result - 2 return flights, albeit booked as four one-ways.

Or mix and match - book two outbound 1 ways on BMI and two inbound 1 ways with BA Miles (but this is not ideal unless you have already used your Amex voucher for the year).
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:51 am
uk1
Suspended

............ I'm learning. Very, very slowly, but it's progress just the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.