Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Definitive guide to the bmi Mastercard 20000 mile deal + guide to redeeming bmi miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive guide to the bmi Mastercard 20000 mile deal + guide to redeeming bmi miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by randalf
*laughs* Thanks, although I can't imagine I'm the only one doing this; makes you wonder what BMI are getting out of it!
I assume about £200 per application plus 0.5% or so of your spend ....

The question is 'what is MBNA getting out of it?'
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
I assume about £200 per application plus 0.5% or so of your spend ...
For Visa / MasterCard cards, its more like 0.2% - which is very little if you think about it, but I guess mileage seats are ones that are unlikely to sell anyway, and most people never really get enough / get round to using them.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:51 am

Does the standard card (blue one) look different to the standard business fee paying card (blue one)?

Mrs HD just got her business card (we think) and it looks just the same as her standard classic one, theres nothing in the paperwork that came with it to indicate it's a business one and nothing saying how many miles per £ it earns.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by hardydoug
Does the standard card (blue one) look different to the standard business fee paying card (blue one)?

Mrs HD just got her business card (we think) and it looks just the same as her standard classic one, theres nothing in the paperwork that came with it to indicate it's a business one and nothing saying how many miles per £ it earns.
I'm pretty sure that the MBNA BMI Business Card is issued as a VISA card,
whereas the MBNA BMI Classic Cards and MBNA BMI Cards (non-Classic) are issued as MasterCards.
http://www.mbna.co.uk/business/direc...esscard_r.html

NB.
4c There will be a yearly charge of up to £65 for each cardholder using your account, other than the principal contact

Last edited by jbfield; Nov 22, 2006 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:15 pm
uk1
Suspended

It would be interesting for reference purposes if others could give an indication of:

1. How many cycles of cancelling cards and successful reapplications have others completed?

- (i've just cancelled our first lot and succesfully reapplied)

2. Has anyone been refused because it's a reapplication?

3. What is the elapsed time between cancelling and reapplying are people observing.

- (I cancelled around 4 weeks ago and both Mrs UK1 and I have been accepted back. The extra 40k will come in useful.)

A reminder to others. It may have been a quirk but on my last set, after a month or two I applied for a spouse card on my own account. They issued a new account number transferred my old balance to the new and gave me an extra 20k ... which was a bit of a welcome suprise.

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by hardydoug
They are different, the standard card has "bmi the sky's no limit" at the top & the business one has "MBNA - BUSINESS" at the top, no mention of bmi at all on the business one. Both the Blue & Platinum cards I have are Mastercard whilst the MBNA BUSINESS one is a Visa.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a free card, cancelled it, waited three months then applied for the paid card. This was probably too cautious given the experience of others, but I wasn't in a rush for the miles.

I've now had the paid card for over a year and have been spending heavily on it ever since I triggered my BA Amex voucher in May. However, when I start spending towards my next BA voucher in February, I will consider cancelling the paid card and applying for another free one.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by pmcg
They are different, the standard card has "bmi the sky's no limit" at the top & the business one has "MBNA - BUSINESS" at the top, no mention of bmi at all on the business one. Both the Blue & Platinum cards I have are Mastercard whilst the MBNA BUSINESS one is a Visa.
Thanks for the verification pmcg and jbfield , I know she ordered the business one but we're surprised to get the standard one instead as she only cancelled the old one a month ago, I just hope the miles post OK.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by uk1
A reminder to others. It may have been a quirk but on my last set, after a month or two I applied for a spouse card on my own account. They issued a new account number transferred my old balance to the new and gave me an extra 20k ... which was a bit of a welcome suprise.
That's an interesting quirk I'd like to try out! How did you apply for the spouse card, and was there any special procedure you had to go through to get the DC points onto your full account?

Darryl
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:05 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by randalf
That's an interesting quirk I'd like to try out! How did you apply for the spouse card, and was there any special procedure you had to go through to get the DC points onto your full account?

Darryl
All done on-line - no special procedure. From recollection, I think 80k in total was gained from 2 personal cards, the additional spouse card quirk, and a business card. This last two makes the total 120k. Daft really!? Plus the wonderful cash balance transfer opportunity now sadly gone ......
Old Nov 24, 2006, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by uk1
All done on-line - no special procedure. From recollection, I think 80k in total was gained from 2 personal cards, the additional spouse card quirk, and a business card. This last two makes the total 120k. Daft really!? Plus the wonderful cash balance transfer opportunity now sadly gone ......
So, the additional card was applied for via the MBNA website? Will go browse!
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
How quickly should the 20k show up after the first spend, and should there be anything in the original paperwork to confirm eligibility?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldb
How quickly should the 20k show up after the first spend, and should there be anything in the original paperwork to confirm eligibility?
You get a letter from MBNA inbetween your first spend and your first statement confirming eligibility.

My mother recently got a card, and the 20k posted at the same time as her first months spend. The posting should be automatic - but if not, DC can easily see on screen that you have a card ('cos your first batch of miles have posted) but have no bonus.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: BD Gold
I applied for the card yesterday online and was declined

Not quite sure why... the guy on the phone said it was because I already had an MBNA card - that's a dodgy excuse if ever I heard one.

My thinking is that I earn a decent salary, I have several credit cards with high limits but no outstanding balances because I pay them off in full each month, the card I have with MBNA I've probably used about twice in 2 years - all in all I'm probably not a very profitable customer and I guess that's why they declined me.

Shame - the 20,000 miles would come in quite handy. Oh well, time to cancel my existing MBNA card then reapply in a few months.

Last edited by nuttyphilt; Nov 28, 2006 at 2:51 am
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nuttyphilt
Shame - the 20,000 miles would come in quite handy. Oh well, time to cancel my existing MBNA card then reapply in a few months.
Exactly. The 20k offer is not going away (hopefully).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.