Wiki Posts
Search

Forum Closure December 31st

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:17 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

Thanks to all the bmi staff, regular and occasional contributors to the bmi forum and to my co-mods. It's been fun and yes it's not the same without bmi and the bmi forum! I still miss both a lot 😢
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
So long and thanks for all the Bento boxes!

I'd missed the main forum closure notice but thanks for diligence of our mods I picked up on the closure from their posts in some of the threads moving across to the BA forum, so have managed to squeeze in just in time.

I really enjoyed my BD days - it was my main programme for many years and the first I gained status in (a really nice MAN-ORD-EWR sale fare tipped me over into my first year of Gold). I had some great redemptions with them and thanks to the smooth transition with BA I've started off with BA Gold and a nice stash of Avios.

The tips and tricks learnt on here were invaluable, not just for bmi (I remember calling on a Sunday morning and repeatedly hanging up unless I got either a female voice or Dennis on the phone!) but also just for a great introduction into this fabulous hobby!

Here's hoping the bmi credit card (I think I must have applied for it at least six times, thankfully held onto my last one!) continues for many months/years yet - brilliant Avios earning on a MasterCard!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:11 am

Goodbye to the BMI forum - it has been a great place - thank you for all for making it a special, unique and welcoming place to learn more about BMI and DC ^

Thanks to all of the staff & friends I have made on the airline - especially those based in GLA. It was a very sad day on 26th March 2011 I know all of you have gone on to greater things, and I wish you continued success.

I doubt there will ever be an airline that will create the same emotions as BMI - it truly was a pleasure, and the closure of this forum really puts the BMI chapter to a close.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
And a thank you to the Mod team for doing all the work until The End
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
I discovered BMI only a couple of years ago, but had some great redemptions and got to know many of the ICC staff! Great program, greatly missed (although for hard-core *alliance members, Lifemiles is proving to be our BMI baby!!)
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: not a lot
If ever a forum needed a thanks button it was this one.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
And from a very occasional poster and big lurker, a simple thank you to all the former BD staff and all Mods here.

Flown many years with BD and then discovered FT and this forum, and that's when the fun really started. We've managed to have all the family at the pointy end for a few holidays now, and still have a rack of avios to enjoy in years to come.

Happy new year to all and best wishes for 2014.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
It is January first already, what is the forum still doing here?

Happy and wonderful 2014 from Singapore, may your travels be rewarding and safe.

Globalist
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I am still missing BMI Diamond Club! As a result of the demise of the DC, I have taken some eco flights this year.

When the DC was still around, it made no sense at all to flying in Y. You paid for eco but flew in C/F.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
During the festivities tonight, let's raise a glass to BMI.

Thanks to all who contributed here, including moderators who served over the years.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:28 am

As I pause in a moment's solemn silence, I recall a few of my cherished memories:

My very first post on FT. Good old Jongar.

Only a few months later, I was undertaking my first ever mileage run. 5 domestic BD sectors in a day. I still wonder if that's some kind of record as pax.

Hit space bar to poo.

Before long, of course, I was moaning like an old hand. Although this is a rant that also memorialises Frances, the Toffee Crisp, and The Ivy of the North.

I fear the biggest loss to FT from the demise of the BD forum is that there is nowhere now to discuss the relative merits of the Napier turbochargers and the Paxman Valentas.

To post, to serve, as they say. I enjoyed my stint with ajamieson and then GoldCircle and Oxon Flyer looking after the housekeeping. I was particularly honoured to welcome our lurker, knock those cocky upstarts next door into second position (although who's laughing now etc) and to inaugurate the Glasshouse Stores as the Diamond Clubhouse.

ajamieson, we'll always have forum 486.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:26 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
A great adventure is ending

Thanks to BMI and its staff for all the pleasure offered ^
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I thank you all, each and everyone of you, for the fun times here. I remember waking up and the first place I'd visit would be this very forum.

My first ever thread here (what a noob I was!): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...-required.html

So this is my last post here. Good bye bmi forum. I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and may 2014 bring you miles galore! Or Avios galore! whatever.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Undergrad at Loughborough in 1989-93 in Transport Management & Planning; job interview for BMI for a sandwich year (failed). Flew BMI once as an independent airline - 1993 LHR-DUB-LHR. Got a diamond club MBNA card in Feb 2012 on the advice of a flyertalker at a DO; eternally grateful.

Do not go gently into that good night...
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Will miss the whole experience and all your posts. Not to mention the Indian call centre!

Happy new year and all the best for 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.