Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forum Closure December 31st

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
All quite sad. And I never did figure out the difference between flexible inflexible economy and inflexible flexible economy.

BMI was the first shiny airline card I held and there was a slightly silly excitement in opening the package with all the other square pieces of card inside.

BMIbaby, on the other hand, was one of the three airlines which I have made the "I'm never flying _____ again" promise for, and one of two for which the promise has succeeded as the airline has closed.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by stifle
BMIbaby, on the other hand, was one of the three airlines which I have made the "I'm never flying _____ again" promise for, and one of two for which the promise has succeeded as the airline has closed.
What were the others? I have only two airlines in that category: Air Memphis and WizzAir.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Virgin Atlantic (for making an absurd fuss over hand luggage on our honeymoon) and Excel Airways (later XL Airways UK, for a shambolic mess on a flight to Kangerlussuaq).
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
yes, thanks from me too. I never would have experienced the many premium cabin experiences I had on *A airlines without this forum.

I will have a stash for Gold Upgrade vouchers somewhere. A reminder of better days.....
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was a little late to the party, I only ever did the one redemption back in 2011. I was planning a simple trip LHR-BKK which was Z1 - Z8. Just before I booked that, someone on the board casually mentioned that it was possible to go Z1 to Z7 via Z8 for the lower cost of a Z7 redemption. Therefore I was able to add a BKK-ICN return not only for no extra miles but in fact for a *lower* overall cost than just LHR-BKK return.

Thanks to everyone here for fascinating reading over the past few years!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Hugs and kisses to Keeley, Joanna, the Pre-Travel Support Angels (oh yes, they really were!) and to all the lovely BD employees - I still miss bmi.

As tallwills says in the second half of post #9, I'll never feel the same affection for BA - it really did feel almost we were part of the "bmi family". That is something that's businesses spend lots of money trying to achieve - bmi is one of the few companies that actually managed it.

Thank you all the staff, and to the mods and contributors on here for making this such a friendly place to hang out. I have to say, I hardly ever visit the BA forum - it's just not quite the same somehow

Anyway, all the very best for your futures - it's been great fun
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I too owe a huge debt of gratitude to this forum. Travelled around the world several times at the front of the plane, something I could never normally afford to do.

There were mileage runs, surveys, Economist subscriptions, and lots of other ways of maximising miles that I would never have known without FT. Then there were to dooos, meeting fun folks like FlyingOnceMore, AntiChef, VanThe Man and more.

These days I'm living in Qatar - still playing the game, but not nearly to the same effect

Thanks to everyone who make this a special spot in cyberspace

Grantosol^
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: not a lot
Thanks to everyone to who made this the best place to be on the internet.

This really was a special place, full of knowledgeable and friendly folk always happy to help and share their experiences.

I was walking through T1 the other day and noticed one of the ex-bmi ladies who I had a chat with many years ago working for BA now. Made me happy to see that their excellent customer service skills were still being put to good use.

Walked past the old bmi lounge today @ EDI. It's now the BA lounge.

So, cheerio, it was fantastic.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
Thank you everyone for all the information. I learnt a lot here
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
A grateful good bye from this old Nag

Dear All

What can I say? Other than thank you. To all members of this wonderful forum, without whom, we would never have experienced even a fraction of the amazing redemptions we have had. To bmi - I still miss you all. To the mods - who supported, indulged and encouraged in great measure, and, were never afraid to admonish if required. Helping to make this the single most interesting place on the interweb.

bmi felt like a family, and so to does this forum to this old nag

Thank you, I shall miss you all.

Warmest wishes to you for the future.

20-Horse (actually named after a Rolls-Royce model, believe it or not! One that was built in Derby)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:38 am

Thanks to those at bmi for their frequent help and to those on this forum for a real education.

Where else would this complete novice have learned that for a small number of miles and a bit of cash (pre surcharges) you could fly LHR-ZRH-HKG [stop-over] BKK all in F/J as a single routing?

Or what about LHR-MAN-BGI-[stopover]-YYZ?!

And then there were all those easy ways to earn a million miles, with almost no long haul flying......

Great times
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
One last time... thanks to all the FT BMI community, mods and users alike. You opened up countless trips and treats to me. Wherever you go, safe travels ^
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:23 am

Good luck everyone. It was a great time while it lasted. The Indian call centre threads and experiences. The dodgy T&Cs with BMI offers and discounts. Day trips to TLV and AMM to renew Gold

As they say ''Better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all''
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Many thanks from another occasional poster and lurker. Still spending the miles I received on BMI.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Spotted the closure just in time. A very brief post to thank all those that have entertained and enlightened me over the years and best wishes to everyone on the forum for the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.