Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:40 am

Guys so most are suggesting TK or A3.
Anyone know if the charge the same amount in taxes (fuel surcharges and all - like LH, BM...etc. UA doesn't charge them if I'm not mistaken).

thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: OZ Silver, BA Gold, EK Silver, SPG/Marriot Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by italian7
Guys so most are suggesting TK or A3.
Anyone know if the charge the same amount in taxes (fuel surcharges and all - like LH, BM...etc. UA doesn't charge them if I'm not mistaken).

thanks!
not sure if anyone got this, but if you want to book award flights with TK, my understanding is that you will have to physically visit the TK office to get a ticket. This is not good for those who do not live near big cities like London where they are likely to have offices.

Also, I am not even sure if A3 has an office in UK. This means you may have to call greece for booking flights, etc.?

I am going with US as earn/burn ratio is not as bad as M&M, there is a credit card to earn exra miles and one can purchase the status if necessary.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Obokata
not sure if anyone got this, but if you want to book award flights with TK, my understanding is that you will have to physically visit the TK office to get a ticket. This is not good for those who do not live near big cities like London where they are likely to have offices.

Also, I am not even sure if A3 has an office in UK. This means you may have to call greece for booking flights, etc.?

I am going with US as earn/burn ratio is not as bad as M&M, there is a credit card to earn exra miles and one can purchase the status if necessary.
Which C/C? I can see one for UA but not US? http://www.mbna.co.uk/choose-credit-card/index.php
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: LH Miles & More,Qantas FF,BMI Diamond Club
Changing redemption booking

Might be off post on this - apologies

If I burn my points on a flight to Oz now and then want to chage the booking Later in the year who will I be calling

Assume the Diamond club CC wil no longer exist?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Fly BD, credit Avios, after Apr 20th

It seems that nobody knows the answer to the question above. The question that cannot be asked, it seems. The explanation for this...

BA flyers must be...

Dil------

DiLLLLLLllllllll---

DILLLlllllll---

iLLlll----

etanttes

Because you know what happens when you say that OTHER WORD!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: marriott,bmi,hhonors
all

Like everyone else im missing the generosity of DC.. Anyway living in London, flying around Europe for business (mainly economy) and a couple of flights to the US..

I basically looked at the earnings/mile of the airline and then compared the redemption for a flight from LHR->SFO

I see the following airlines FFP as alternatives
Asiana Airlines (OZ) - earn appears either 50% or 100% of miles flown
Silver=25k, Gold=40K
LHR->SFO = 75K Miles in Business

US Airlines - earn is min of 500miles
Silver = 25k, Gold=50K
LHR->SFO = 100K in Business
M&M (LH) - earn miles, mainly.. not sure about this one...
Silver = 25, Gold=100K(!!)
LHR->SFO = 105K in Business

Seeing this I think OZ is the best for getting to gold, but Im tempted with M&M mainly because I'll get access to more lounges with M&M Silver...

Any catches with OZ?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: OZ Silver, BA Gold, EK Silver, SPG/Marriot Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flashware
Which C/C? I can see one for UA but not US? http://www.mbna.co.uk/choose-credit-card/index.php
That would be SPG Amex card. You can convert Starpoints to US Dividend miles (1 Starpoint = 1 mile)

If you get it now, you will receive 20,000 points if you spend 1000 within 3 months. If you convert this amount, they will add extra 5,000, making it a total of 25,000 miles
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Suggestions for Status Match to Retain Star Alliance Gold

I would appreciate feedback in relation to potential options for Status Match, to retain Star Alliance Gold Status.

I am currently BMI Gold (three years away from lifetime status, so very unhappy camper) and Elite Plus with Skyteam (Platinum Flying Blue - four years away from lifetime status).

Unfortunately, my priority is to achieve lifetime status with Air France, so achieving Hon Circle with Lufthansa for the next few years is not possible.

I would value an option to achieve lifetime status with Star Alliance, but willing to balance this with good redemtion and upgrade opportunities.

I would ideally like to bring a substantial miles balance with me - I have never flown One World and not really sure what type of status match BA would offer, and what I could use my miles for with One World.

I mostly fly business class long haul international and economy short haul.

Thanks for your feedback - pm also welcome.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by asantaga:18376241

Seeing this I think OZ is the best for getting to gold, but Im tempted with M&M mainly because I'll get access to more lounges with M&M Silver...

Any catches with OZ?
I like OZ - it was my choice to replace BD, esp for the *G for 2 Years plus.

However, you asked for downsides. I can think of two, that were not deak breakers for me:
* Miles earning - no minimum, actual miles only on most carriers, (didnt earn much on BD domestic) and only 125% for business
* Only UK credit card that can (indirectly) earn OZ miles is the Starwood Amex
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: SAS*D, IC-RA,EM-G
SAS Eurobonus

Nobody seems to be suggesting Eurobonus, am I missing something, looks to be to be reasonably good to me?
20,000 for Silver (on reaching get 15% more miles)
45,000 for Gold, (On reaching get 25% more miles)

So reasonable to reach status.

Earnings look comparitive with other programmes and better in many cases with most Z/C fares earning 2x inc Lufty.

On redemptions seems that you can do one way, no YQ on SAS and burn rates also look consistant with others.

Also option to do cash and miles but not really understanding how this works at moment.

They are in the Star Upgrade for miles scheme and also have on the day upgrades on SAS for reasonable amount of miles.

Also comprehensive partners on Hotels and Car Hire.

And for credit card you can convert Amex rewards on 1 to 1.

All in all for me it looks one of the better of the bunch!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by msportmad
Nobody seems to be suggesting Eurobonus, am I missing something, looks to be to be reasonably good to me?
20,000 for Silver (on reaching get 15% more miles)
45,000 for Gold, (On reaching get 25% more miles)

So reasonable to reach status.

Earnings look comparitive with other programmes and better in many cases with most Z/C fares earning 2x inc Lufty.

On redemptions seems that you can do one way, no YQ on SAS and burn rates also look consistant with others.

Also option to do cash and miles but not really understanding how this works at moment.

They are in the Star Upgrade for miles scheme and also have on the day upgrades on SAS for reasonable amount of miles.

Also comprehensive partners on Hotels and Car Hire.

And for credit card you can convert Amex rewards on 1 to 1.

All in all for me it looks one of the better of the bunch!
EuroBonus has very restrictive points earning chart in my opinion. Unless you fly a lot of First, Business or higher fares Economy class, the miles are heavily discounted. Also, the points are only valid for 5 years.

Last edited by huhuhusky; Apr 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by huhuhusky
EuroBonus has very restrictive points earning chart in my opinion. Unless you fly a lot of First, Business or higher fares Economy class, the miles are heavily discounted.
After a quick look at the EB forum, it seems the program is going for 100% on all Economy flights starting May 4th. But as some suspected, the redemption tables also evolved, so the current earn/burn rate may not stay as it is.

This said, my personal choice will certainly be Aegean.

1. FF miles aren't good store of value, so I try to burn quickly (and fly enough to get useful redemptions)... Should A3 go under, leave *A, or anything weird, I'll certainly have the time to empty my account and take minimal loss as I did with bmi (besides, A3 isn't in a bad financial shape)

2. I liked the puzzled look of NH checkin agents wondering what's this strange "bmi" thing that grants me the use of their FC/*G lane... I am pretty sure Aegean will provide me with hours of enjoyment in the future.

3. 200% earning on Z (my favourite fare class) on LH/LX/OS may not last, but it's not bad. Even if harmonized, 150% with a target of 110k is better than 175% with a target of 135k.

4. I don't care about status as I fly in Business and most significant perks (lounge access, seat selection) are included in the fare anyway.... And I feel it's one thing A3 management may change first, before taking away the other good points.

Nothing exciting, but I need some *A programme to credit to...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Not Eurobonus for me for a simple reason. I mostly fly Europe-South America and they charge 135.000 miles for it.
South America-South/North Asia looks better for 150.000 though and SouthAmerica-NorthAmerica for 75.000 too.
Also, South America and caribbean are considered same region so, for example, Buenos Aires to Nassau are 45.000 in C. What about the transit in the US?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by huhuhusky
EuroBonus has very restrictive points earning chart in my opinion. Unless you fly a lot of First, Business or higher fares Economy class, the miles are heavily discounted.
True for 3 more weeks - from 4/May ALL eco booking classes earn 100% on own metal. *G will require 50k.

2 longhaul in C gets you *G

Elite bonuses count both toward status and toward redemptions

I requalified for SEN in November/2011 and ditching DC (with a heavy heart) I made SK *G by February/2012

Also, the points are only valid for 5 years.

So? Never an issue for me. If you aim for *G in two years you'll have a minimum of 250k
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:16 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by asantaga
all

bb
US Airlines - earn is min of 500miles
Silver = 25k, Gold=50K
LHR->SFO = 100K in Business
If you are lucky it is 60k on US metal in C-class in low season: https://membership.usairways.com/en-...wardchart.html

For *A redemption, do not use miles for C-class, fly F-class for only 25k extra (125k miles) And EU to Australia in F is only 150k miles - up to 8 segments and 1 stopover, routings via US (e.g. LON-LAX-SYD) are allowed and if you are lucky there were some reports that folks were actually able to redeem RTW tickets for this amount of miles.

And BTW - it is US Airways (not US Airlines)

Last edited by TPJ; Apr 13, 2012 at 2:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.