Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Originally Posted by flashware
Are you sure US Airways has a metal requirement as I don't recall that being an issue for status with them.
No, I am not actually. I thought I had read it somewhere but cannot now find the reference. Mea culpa - always check before you post!

Having looked at the US programme again, the US*G requalification is 50K, lifetime US*S is a available at 1M miles but not lifetime *G. I guess it is a programme to consider, though the lack of US lounge access on domestic fares and the lack of lifetime *G would put it behind SK for me. But for those UK DC members who fly UK-US regularly, fly in business/first on US metal (getting bonus miles which would assist with requalification), and have Amex Platinum Chargecard/Priority Pass for US domestic lounge access) then I guess it may be more attractive than OZ or SK.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by flashware
First off, congratulations on reaching gold!
In a textbook case of YMMV, the last few thousand miles to get me to BD*G have ended up in SQ Krisflyer due to an SQ flight being booked from within my SQ profile in their website (which autoloads the SQ number into the booking and has to be changed later via SQ staff) - bizarrely, on a two sector flight one sector credited to SQ and the other to BD, despite my verifying twice with different SQ staff that the SQ number had been deleted from the booking and the BD number reinstated, half the miles went astray.

I am hoping this will be able to be resolved, as orphaned miles in SQ while being an (almost) BD *G until my next flight - assuming DC still exists and BD is still in *A at the time - would not be the best outcome!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by wyvern
In a textbook case of YMMV, the last few thousand miles to get me to BD*G have ended up in SQ Krisflyer due to an SQ flight being booked from within my SQ profile in their website (which autoloads the SQ number into the booking and has to be changed later via SQ staff) - bizarrely, on a two sector flight one sector credited to SQ and the other to BD, despite my verifying twice with different SQ staff that the SQ number had been deleted from the booking and the BD number reinstated, half the miles went astray.
Sorry to hear about this problem. As a rule when I switch FF numbers I try hard to get a new boarding pass with the right FF numbers on them. It doesn't always mean you will get credit but it makes an appeal much easier.

On the other hand, being able to switch FF numbers in the middle of the trip would be useful sometimes!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Sorry to hear about this problem. As a rule when I switch FF numbers I try hard to get a new boarding pass with the right FF numbers on them. It doesn't always mean you will get credit but it makes an appeal much easier.

On the other hand, being able to switch FF numbers in the middle of the trip would be useful sometimes!
I asked for a new BP, but it has no number on it. When I queried this SQ told me their BPs only print SQ numbers (I am not sure this is correct as I have had SQ BP with non SQ status on it before, but not in this case). I asked them to remove the SQ number, and was told they had done so. I asked if the accrual (FQTV) programme was definitely now DC, and they said that the points would now accrue to DC. The agent at SIN confirmed this when I asked again. Short of asking to see everything they typed on the screen (and understanding the codes) I don't see much more I could have done done. I have emailed DC the un-numbered BP but I suspect I will have to get SQ to reliquish the miles before BD will credit them. But bizarre that one sector credited properly and one did not.

I believe you can credit different sectors to different programmes, though have never needed to try, I think the FQTV can be different for each sector (and maybe the FQTS too, though that would only be of use in multi-alliance codeshare situations). But I understand generally when you ask the airline to switch FQTV/FQTS it happens for all sectors unless you request otherwise.

Insiders might be able to tell us if the typing the agent has to do has to be repeated for all sectors or can be applied to all sectors. They always seem to have to do a lot of typing into their command-line systems (even just to check you in, before you start asking to change FF numbers).

In this case I asked the LHR SQ check-in agent to switch the FQTV programme on both sectors, and to delete the SQ number from both sectors, and she said that she had done this, but I guess must only have done it for the second sector, though I don't then understand why the BP then printed without the SQ FF number for the first sector. It would definitely been easier if the FF numbers were on the BP as with other airlines, as then I could have asked why the BD number was not there.

Hopefully all will be resolved before BD/DC ceases to exist, as I was looking forward to that BD*G!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by wyvern
I asked for a new BP, but it has no number on it. When I queried this SQ told me their BPs only print SQ number.
Whilst my DC number has never shown on the SQ boarding passes, I have always had a "BD*G" show just below my name. In your case I would have expected a "BD*S".
Sometimes the agents don't know the correct code for bmi (BD) and wrongly try BM; but in this case, that wouldn't explain the success for one sector but not the other.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:41 am

My wife and I have been accumulating miles for a trip Europe-Oz in 2014. We've got enough to go now, but its simply not possible for us until S14.

I'm also collecting BA Avios from Tesco Clubcard because its convenient and easy.

All of our BMI DC earning is done with the MBNA BMI Plus Amex / Mastercard. We're not attempting to reach status.

My two concerns right now are:

1) is there any conceivable way I can make the trip in 2014 with my DC miles. (Book and move? But how many changes can you make to a ticket?)... (I guess its too early to say? And I guess I need to wait for announcements from DC). I suppose if DC transfers to BA Avios then I'd be ok.

2) which FF programme should I migrate to? I need a programme that is just as easy/quick to earn via a credit card and has redemptions that are easy. Typically I would foresee future trips to West Coast USA, Hawaii and Brazil.

I'd really appreciate your comments.

Thankyou

Last edited by lfc84; Jan 23, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by lfc84
2) which FF programme should I migrate to? I need a programme that is just as easy/quick to earn via a credit card and has redemptions that are easy. Typically I would foresee future trips to West Coast USA, Hawaii and Brazil.
BAEC has a variety of credit card options, although I don't think any of them are quite as generous as the bmi Plus Amex. Redemptions are roughly the same cost in economy as bmi (miles-only; BA's miles + cash is more expensive) - however, business class is 2x the cost rather than 1.5x with bmi. That said, with the cost of taxes, etc, being as high as they are, it seems a fairly good strategy with BA can be to book a premium economy fare and then upgrade to business (which involves a relatively small amount of miles). You still pay a chunk of cash this way, but you earn a load of miles back, and get to travel in C for a fraction of the cost (on BA metal only, though).

If you're happy with the relatively limited choice of airlines, BAEC may work out OK for you. Otherwise, I'm not sure you'll find that many *A FFPs that are quite as good for earning choices (credit cards, etc) while also having good value redemptions, sadly.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, Alaska G, LH, HHonors, Accor, Priority Club; Tufty Club Diamond
I've just been credited with the points I needed for *G with Aegean. It has only taken two economy TATLs. The cards currently being issued appear to expire in 2014. Status is a huge deal for me, and now that I've done this, it feels like an absolute no-brainer - very pleased I've done it.

Would be nice now if the DC*G I have until June transfers to BAEC S for a while longer than that, although I don't see my having much chance to retain that status beyond the initial term.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
I was credited with a status match with Air NZ, but the latest changes make the program look less than great to me. I will probably continue to credit my domestic flight to Air NZ for now.

In the meantime, I have just re-qualified for Gold again with DC, some 6 months before my current Gold expires, so I'll probably just leave it there now. Have some 300,000+ miles to burn...

I have just registered for Aegean - am still to figure out how mileage earning works exactly - will check to see if they have their own forum. Considered Asiana, but I have taken advice here on board, and the registration for Aegean is really easy.

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, Alaska G, LH, HHonors, Accor, Priority Club; Tufty Club Diamond
Aegean do indeed have their own forum which is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...les-bonus-694/

In terms of earning, their chart is here: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/

It's different in places from the BMI chart. As a pertinent example from my point of view, some of the cheaper United economy fares which earn 1.0x on BMI DC only earn 0.5x on Aegean. And redemption rates are nowhere near as good (but then, whose are?). But it's definitely a very good way to get *G easily.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
Hi - and thanks - I've found those. The earn rates aren't quite as generous as DC, but the bar is substantially lower. I'm betting it won't stay that way for too long. Have already altered one upcoming NZ - China itinerary to have my new A3 number in the mileage earning part,and my AirNZ *G in the status to use a recognition upgrade.

DC will sit dormant for a wee while now I have requalified for Gold until they figure out what happens next.

Originally Posted by fulhamish
Aegean do indeed have their own forum which is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...les-bonus-694/

In terms of earning, their chart is here: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/

It's different in places from the BMI chart. As a pertinent example from my point of view, some of the cheaper United economy fares which earn 1.0x on BMI DC only earn 0.5x on Aegean. And redemption rates are nowhere near as good (but then, whose are?). But it's definitely a very good way to get *G easily.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just enrolled into TK's Miles&Smiles. A no-brainer for me. Easy to requalify, 100% miles on TK economy class, 150% on business class - AND, 200% when you are Gold.

Sad to see DC go though
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:11 am

ca anyne help me, as I am kind of at a loss.

My flying pattern fit perfectly to BD:

250-300K status miles a year

mostly longhaul in C or F on LH,LX,TK,OZ,TG,SQ with some domestic US and Europe thrown in

most important aspects would be:

Earn/burn rates in Longhaul C/F

Redemption flexibility (Miles plus cash was great, used one way awards a lot as well)

Anyone have a decent replacement for me?

thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by Pacha
ca anyne help me, as I am kind of at a loss.

My flying pattern fit perfectly to BD:

250-300K status miles a year

mostly longhaul in C or F on LH,LX,TK,OZ,TG,SQ with some domestic US and Europe thrown in

most important aspects would be:

Earn/burn rates in Longhaul C/F

Redemption flexibility (Miles plus cash was great, used one way awards a lot as well)

Anyone have a decent replacement for me?

thanks!
I suggest you Miles & More

C 200% miles
F 300% miles

One way awards for 50% (but only on Miles and More Airline members)
Good availabilty (for LX and LH)

But burn rates are quiet high.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: OZ Silver, BA Gold, EK Silver, SPG/Marriot Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skrosvik
Just enrolled into TK's Miles&Smiles. A no-brainer for me. Easy to requalify, 100% miles on TK economy class, 150% on business class - AND, 200% when you are Gold.

Sad to see DC go though
I heard that you have to visit your TK local office physically to reserve award flights, though. If this is true, then lots of inconvenience there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.