Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by Sydfly
Isn't UA basically the same as US in terms of earning/redemption? Why is everyone so fixed on US and doesn't consider UA at all?
Look at the redemption chart and then you know it.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Isn't UA basically the same as US in terms of earning/redemption? Why is everyone so fixed on US and doesn't consider UA at all?
While they are basically the same for Europe and N. America, once you start looking at redemptions from Europe to elsewhere in the world, US is much better. On the down side, one-way awards are not half the miles of a return award. I'm still mulling over which *A FFP will replace DC for me - but don't have any flights lined up at the moment so no great rush.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:07 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AX9465
I fly *A infrequently and would like to see an option to maintain *G with 3 TATL trips in discounted biz (~25k actual miles flown).
I'm a little confused as to how flying *A "infrequently" can get you UA 1K as well as DC Gold, but taking you at your word: why are you wedded to *A for the travel pattern you describe? I'd be considering BA. Just two returns in Club World and four segments in discount economy (on either side of the Atlantic) will get you to Silver. That's OW Sapphire and does most of what *G does in terms of increased earnings and lounge access.

Isn't UA basically the same as US in terms of earning/redemption?
I use both. US has a cheaper redemption chart for return trips, is good for stopovers and allows outrageous open jaws. They also have some great off-peak redemption rates for TATL C on their own metal (although I've never taken advantage of that). UA's plus point is affordable one way redemptions.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:44 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I am deciding between US and UA, as with the demise of the BD/UN partnership (and indeed BD entirely) and other personal changes most of my *A travel in the future is likely to be transatlantic. While the more favorable US redemption rates are appealing, and I have 55,000 legacy miles on US I have been trying [unsuccesfully] to spend, the more favorable treatment of 1W awards and free upgrades to E+ for high-status passengers on UA may be a deciding factor. I have admittedly had good success getting into E+ on recent domestic short-haul flights on UA as a BD *G, but these were on fully-booked domestic US short-haul flights around holiday time. I have historically booked most of my award flights as 1W, for the combination of greater flexibility and the sheer difficulty of finding matching outbound and return flights on the same airline/partners; with enough miles in programs in two-three alliances, it is easier to mix & match with award availability, particularly if trying to book J on specific dates.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
This offer is only for USA residents. For UK it is 10,000 points for sign up unfortunately. The card is operated by AMEX not MBNA.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by bariummeal
This offer is only for USA residents. For UK it is 10,000 points for sign up unfortunately. The card is operated by AMEX not MBNA.
Which offer?

If you mean the AA/MBNA offer, the link from americanairlines.co.uk is very clearly for the UK. There's a clue in the URL.

Clicking on 'Apply Now' leads to the MBNA application page.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
No, I meant the Starwood one which can pump points into US dividend miles.

Has anyone looked at ANA - we use the tool a lot - is the points scheme any good as an alternative to DC?

I am coming to the conclusion that BAEC and VS are going to be my focus - just looking at my past earnings - its been through years of weekly domestic BMI travel in Y, CC spend and then most long haul has been to JNB with VS in C.

I am going to miss this game....
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
No, I meant the Starwood one which can pump points into US dividend miles.

Has anyone looked at ANA - we use the tool a lot - is the points scheme any good as an alternative to DC?
I've looked into them as I fly on their planes, but it's not that good. Accrual is 50%-150% of miles flown depending on fare (usually 125% in business). Unless you fly ANA much, you can't make their top-tier elite level, so you'll have to settle for the *G level with a 100% mileage bonus on ANA/United flights only.

Awards flights redemptions are calculated according to distance, not zone.

There might be some opportunity, but I am not sure it's really advantageous. I found it wasn't really attractive overall.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BA Gold
Quick question - I'm heading over to Aeroplan as I do most of my flying on AC anyway. I have a trip in 2 weeks to SJO via YYZ - I've got my fingers crossed my BD*G card will still get me lounge access but I also want to use the trip to earn miles with Aeroplan.

Therefore, can I still use by BD card for benefits (assuming they're still intact!) and have my Aeroplan number in the booking to credit the miles to?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starallied
Therefore, can I still use by BD card for benefits (assuming they're still intact!) and have my Aeroplan number in the booking to credit the miles to?
Yes. Should be OK. Certainly for lounge access: showing your card would be OK as long as *A benefits are still available to DC Golds.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: OZ Silver, BA Gold, EK Silver, SPG/Marriot Gold, IHG Platinum
UK SPG Amex sign up bonus now is 20,000 if you look at their website
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
I've looked into them as I fly on their planes, but it's not that good. Accrual is 50%-150% of miles flown depending on fare (usually 125% in business). Unless you fly ANA much, you can't make their top-tier elite level, so you'll have to settle for the *G level with a 100% mileage bonus on ANA/United flights only.

Awards flights redemptions are calculated according to distance, not zone.

There might be some opportunity, but I am not sure it's really advantageous. I found it wasn't really attractive overall.
Asian FFP are usually unattractive.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Asian FFP are usually unattractive.
And I share your concerns about SK (not I don't trust what have been said by others about earnings, but I can't decipher their online presentation.

http://www.flysas.com/en/fr/EuroBonu...irlines/SWISS/

"F, A, J, C, D, Z, P" earning a minimum of 1200 miles doesn't mean that business is 200% and First 300% to me. If changes are introduced in the future, and this presentation is kept, it will be very difficult to track. Plus, the earning table doesn't look attractive either.

The more I think about it, the more A3 seems to be the main contender (with the caveat to burn miles quickly, one never knows, but that was true of BMI also).

The TAM programme is clearly explained, but I can't figure if it's attractive. Looks like it's aimed at Eco travelers as there's nearly no cos bonus, and redemption look therefore cheap for them. If I read their charts correctly, an Economy ticket within Europe earns you 1,500 points (if you're Red level), regardless of fare, and you need 80,000 points for a first class redemption Europe->Asia (or 60,000 during low season). It's strange.

Not that it matters a lot if they end up in 1W also...

Last edited by Richelieu; Apr 19, 2012 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver
Smile

Are any *A carriers offering a tier-match to tempt over some DC members? I'm still not sure who to go to, so something like this would probably help sway my decision.

T6
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Richelieu
And I share your concerns about SK (not I don't trust what have been said by others about earnings, but I can't decipher their online presentation.

http://www.flysas.com/en/fr/EuroBonu...irlines/SWISS/

"F, A, J, C, D, Z, P" earning a minimum of 1200 miles doesn't mean that business is 200% and First 300% to me. If changes are introduced in the future, and this presentation is kept, it will be very difficult to track. Plus, the earning table doesn't look attractive either.
SK gives 200% for both C and F on LX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.