Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
That said, to be fair, even with a doubling of flights, *G status for 6 long-haul deep discount business class tickets, while not particularly interesting for quite a few of us including me, is not a ridiculously high level especially, as you say, for 2 years of *G (and 4 years of access to LH lounges given the soft landing to FTL) and compares honourably to many programmes, although obviously not the BDs or A3s of this world which are unusually generous with granting status.
Status for two years is definitely something interesting that some programmes, like LH's SEN, offer. You can take a "year off" and spend your miles without dropping. I didn't know the 2-year period also applied to FTL, though.

With regard to status, I am not sure it matters that much to people who take 6 long-haul flight a year in business: most of the elite benefits, they get by flying business anyway, and I am not sure that exec who fly 6 TATL in business per year fly a few in Y on top of that. Well, there's an economic crisis, so maybe... And the elite bonus between FTL and SEN is the same, so it doesn't change for them (slightly better lounges, though).

What I feared about the P fare stinginess was confirmed anecdotically to me today. LH is starting a sale ex-France. I selected a few destination and put them in ITA: they're still more expansive than BA's regular fare for this summer. I got 1989 € for bussing from SXB to FRA and flying to YVR, and that's compared to Z fare from LUX (around the same distance as FRA ) on AC or OS through VIE around 300 € more expansive. P fares are promotional, but not groundbreaking deals. Even when comparing to regular Z fare from LH, I feel flying Z would be more interesting for reasonable valuations of M&M miles.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:43 pm

who do i go to? help!

Hello everyone,

I could really do with your advice as I'm getting all a bit confused about which frequent-flier program to move to now that our beloved BMI Diamond club won't allow people like me to credit flights from Star Alliance partners.

So not sure what to do?

I live in the UK and I fly Star Alliance network a few times a year long haul

I don't expect to get any status but just want somewhere to put my miles everytime i fly.

I obviously want good earn and burn rates

but I want to be with a carrier's that are dependable,with good customer service and most importantly will not go bust!

I have seen the comments about TK and a3 and still not sure which to go with :-(

any comments or help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Ali
Old May 17, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by g-rezzz
I don't expect to get any status but just want somewhere to put my miles everytime i fly.

I obviously want good earn and burn rates

but I want to be with a carrier's that are dependable,with good customer service and most importantly will not go bust!

I have seen the comments about TK and a3 and still not sure which to go with :-(
Plus side of A3 :

* you'll probably get status anyway
* earn/burn is the better of the two for premium travel

Minus side of A3 :

* bad earn/burn for discounted economy
* small company, may suffer from adverse economic conditions

Plus side of TK :

* larger company, more revenue from domestic captive market, hence perhaps more financial solidity (but I didn't look into their debt load)
* better earning rates in economy overall

Minus side of TK :

* redemption more costly

I'd say it depends on your usual class of travel. If the carrier's product is mattering to you, TK has an excellent longhaul product (in J, and I was told in Eco too).
Old May 24, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I think A3 is probably the best programme for anyone who will earn 4K-20K status miles a year (or achieve 20K in one year, then fly once a year on *A thereafter).

At 20K a year Asiana (40K over two years) is also an option.

Once you get to 50K status miles a year, it is easier to maintain status with a number of carriers and one can look at earn and burn options in more detail. Both SAS and US let you maintain (thought not attain) *G for 50K status miles a year.

At higher levels of status miles LH offered better benefits, however the recent changes to LH make it less attractive to anyone not flying full fare.

The three programmes I could find with a low gold qualification threshold, no own metal requirement, fairly OK earn and burn ratios and a UK miles-earning credit card option were Asiana, SAS and US.

The lack of a UK miles-earning credit card option is arguably Aegean's biggest drawback: potentially more of an issue than its non-flexible award tickets. This is also the reason I would not choose Turkish or Egyptair, both of which have low *G thresholds and otherwise look like OK programmes.

Between Asiana, SAS and US: are SAS or US's flexibility of changes to award bookings better than Asiana's lower qualification threshold and lifetime *G status at 500K miles, and is US's approach to mileage expiry better than SAS's flexible award bookings? I am still undecided.

Last edited by wyvern; May 24, 2012 at 9:15 am
Old May 27, 2012, 5:03 am

Hi All I'm new here but following this thread quite closely but still can't make up my mind.

I don't fly too much..about twice three times a year and normally I try flying with *a. I fly mainly USA or southeast Asia and sometimes Arab states.

I prefer to have a uk credit card based mileage earner and wondered for my type of usage which Ffp would people recommend for me?

I earn about 30000-40000 through credit card and flying a year with dc and near 16000 status miles. If possible I'd like to get to silver status with the new Ffp quickly.

I normally like to redeem a 'free' flight for my wife and I every two years with the miles we earn plus the credit card etc,

Any suggestions? I'm currently leaning towards US airways but not quite sure as they don't have family membership, any other Ffp that I'll suit my needs well?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
OZ might suit you - if you get 20K status miles every year (40K every 2 years) you will progress to *G. Plus you can transfer miles from a UK or US based Amex SPG card (the UK one was recently offering 20K point signup bonus, which translates to 25K Asiana miles, and through the SPG points transter, to 1.25 Asiana miles per pound spent for transactions going forward. No family membership but you can redeem flights for family members. Only real downsides: no one way *A redemptions, and no changes to *A award bookings once ticketed.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: marriott,bmi,hhonors
Which *A FF replacement have you gone for (European people)

Hey all,

Firstly I need to appologise as Im sure this has been answered but I can see the wood for the trees for the amount of discussions :-) and Im quite confused...

Im a A* gold member in UK, fly mainly European & once or twice to the US..

What replacement *A card shall I go for considering im mainly interested in burning miles.

Currently I see the following
  • LH M&M : Lots of lounges, likely for me to get to silver but no hope for silver also naff burn rates
  • AAA : Most people seam to be going for these guys, especially as they status Match
Asiana Airlines : Not sure about these people..

So for the European flyers, whats the best replacement?

Many thanks
Old May 31, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US Airways for spending miles, and A3 for status. Then again I also have top-tier UA status (at least for now) and have use for those miles too.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...ce-dc-you.html
Old May 31, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: marriott,bmi,hhonors
thanks, I saw that thread but was confused..

It appears A3 is good. US is no good for me as I never fly them (and I think you need to fly them at least a couple of times to keep miles)...

So its a toss up between A3 & TK

groan.. I was sooo happy with BMI...
Old May 31, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by asantaga
thanks, I saw that thread but was confused..

It appears A3 is good. US is no good for me as I never fly them (and I think you need to fly them at least a couple of times to keep miles)...

So its a toss up between A3 & TK

groan.. I was sooo happy with BMI...
US requires activity on the account for miles not to expire (that includes shopping via their portal, so relatively easy to do).

I've actually decided to use them to park my *A miles, I don't think I'll ever get status but should eventually have enough to redeem in J. They have one of the best redemption rates (nothing like DC) compared to others.

Only potential concern is that there is a lot of talk of them merging with AA, and a a potential move to OneWorld.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:04 am

I don't need status. I need a program with alternative ways of earning miles (hotel stays/buying miles/etc) and good burn rate on business class bookings. I think AA is my program but I am not sure how long they will last. So what does the wisdom of the board recommend?

Last edited by Shimon; May 31, 2012 at 11:15 am
Old May 31, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Shimon
I don't need status. I need a program with alternative ways of earning miles (hotel stays/buying miles/etc) and good burn rate on business class bookings. I think AA is my program but I am not sure how long they will last. So what does the wisdom of the board recommend?
Nothing comes even remotely close based on the itineraries that I have booked using BMI miles.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Shimon
Famous last words, but I wouldn't worry too much about AA. Even if they do merge with US Airways, the frequent flyer programme is a huge asset and is likely going to survive.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by wyvern
OZ might suit you - if you get 20K status miles every year (40K every 2 years) you will progress to *G. Plus you can transfer miles from a UK or US based Amex SPG card (the UK one was recently offering 20K point signup bonus, which translates to 25K Asiana miles, and through the SPG points transter, to 1.25 Asiana miles per pound spent for transactions going forward. No family membership but you can redeem flights for family members. Only real downsides: no one way *A redemptions, and no changes to *A award bookings once ticketed.
Not thought of Asiana before. What are the earn and burn rates compared to other *A's?

Are the United and US ones not as good?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.