Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ElementK
Preferred Select

Last rental, in Palo Alto:
reserved mid-size, got a Buick Lucerne CXS

Previous rental, at SFO:
my "upgrade" consisted of a 1yr+ old Grand Am

NO WAY!?!? next time take a picture of that crap. Next thing im going to hear is that there are still Alero's out there?!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ezmonee
NO WAY!?!? next time take a picture of that crap. Next thing im going to hear is that there are still Alero's out there?!
I should have put more info in my post. In fairness to Avis, my "downgrade" was on a one-way rental from SFO to Palo Alto. But I've done that several times before and never had that problem.

Recent rental at the Palo Alto location:
reserved: full-size
received: Jeep Liberty

which I don't much care for. Drives like, well, a truck. I guess it is a truck, so I should have expected as much.

And by the way, I liked the Alero. Relative to the other cars in the fleet during that era, better than the Chevy <something>, the Lumina, the Monte Carlo. In fact I had the Monte Carlo only once and would always insist on something, anything, other than that.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

ezmonee,
You said the sky is the limit for 1 day rentals, which I have come to notice. Say I would book a 1 day rental for my typical car (full size) when I really needed a car for 2 or 3 days. If they upgraded me to something nice (caddy, volvo, etc), what would happen if I called & let them know I'd be returning in 2/3 days or just returned it a few days late?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
ezmonee,
You said the sky is the limit for 1 day rentals, which I have come to notice. Say I would book a 1 day rental for my typical car (full size) when I really needed a car for 2 or 3 days. If they upgraded me to something nice (caddy, volvo, etc), what would happen if I called & let them know I'd be returning in 2/3 days or just returned it a few days late?

Thanks
That's an interesting situation!
@Ezmonee:
Waiting for your input!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by gforce
That's an interesting situation!
@Ezmonee:
Waiting for your input!
Yeah....gosh darn, it's been over 60 minutes and we are waiting for the response.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:00 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
CAE (Columbia, SC)
Booked - Full Size
Received - Mercedes C230
Status - Top Secret
NICE!!!! ^
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Humaniod
CAE (Columbia, SC)
Booked - Full Size
Received - Mercedes C230
Status - Top Secret
NICE!!!! ^
OMG!!!
A Merc?!? That's insane!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:57 am

MCO
Booked: Intermediate / midsize
Received: Brand new Saturn Aura with 5 miles on the odometer (fullsize)
17-day rental

Susan
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:48 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
KOA
Booked Full Size
"Upgraded" to a Taurus with only 15,000 miles
Preferred Select.

They had plenty of caddys available, but wouldn't budge.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
booked: 4 dr full size
received: Lincoln Town Car (12,000 miles with a lot of scratches)
rental period: Tue 11:00 PM - Fri 3:00 PM
Preferred Select

My last 3 rentals since this post began were non-upgrades, even though my track record has been in the 50% range. Twice at CLE booked a 4 dr full size and received a Taurus. Last month at ABE booked a 2 dr full size and received a Monte Carlo (which didn't bother me since I seldom drive one and think they're ok).
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
ezmonee,

Thanks
then you would have the caddy for two-three days.

it can work, but make sure your rate code will not default. There are 24 hour rate codes out there that are designed to get the car back within 24 hours. any longer, the rate could default to a more expensive rate.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:04 am

The alero for what it was, was rather well liked. But I haven't seen an alero in our fleet in a long time.

or a grand am for that matter.

Originally Posted by ElementK
I should have put more info in my post. In fairness to Avis, my "downgrade" was on a one-way rental from SFO to Palo Alto. But I've done that several times before and never had that problem.

Recent rental at the Palo Alto location:
reserved: full-size
received: Jeep Liberty

which I don't much care for. Drives like, well, a truck. I guess it is a truck, so I should have expected as much.

And by the way, I liked the Alero. Relative to the other cars in the fleet during that era, better than the Chevy <something>, the Lumina, the Monte Carlo. In fact I had the Monte Carlo only once and would always insist on something, anything, other than that.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ezmonee
then you would have the caddy for two-three days.

it can work, but make sure your rate code will not default. There are 24 hour rate codes out there that are designed to get the car back within 24 hours. any longer, the rate could default to a more expensive rate.
Thanks for the information! Just as a side question, how do we figure out the fine print associated with most RQs? I'm sorry for sounding like a noob.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: Avis Chairmans, National Executive, Spirit Elite, Virgin Silver, United Premier
Continued

As a continuation to my previous post:

August @ MYR
Reserved: Compact
Upgraded to: Chevy Trailblazer

September @ MYR
Reserved: Full-Size
Upgraded to: 12-Passenger Van

Both times the upgrades were what I wanted.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
booked: 4 dr full size
received: Mercury Grand Marquis (14,000)
rental period: Wed 8:00 PM - Fri 11:00 PM
Preferred Select

Honestly, I don't know why they bother. A Grand Marquis has nothing on a Taurus or Impala except seating and trunk room. Plus, I feel like I'm driving my mother's car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.