Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by aviators99
Class letters don't help me unless I can find a mapping to car names :-(
I'm not ez, but this should help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589502
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Thanks! (I've been having a problem with FT search over the past week...errors out)

So, I'm still a bit confused. As a President's Club member, I'm supposed to get a 2-class upgrade where available? I'm trying to understand what ez said...if I book a fullsize, I should only hope for a premium because SUV is in between?

Again, what should I book if I want the best shot at a luxury or better?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Again, what should I book if I want the best shot at a luxury or better?
IMO only, a PC should book a premium to have the best shot at a luxo. I'd say full-size has a 50/50 chance of being upgraded that far.

And again, some stations are better than others about it.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:21 am

IMO only, a PC should book a premium to have the best shot at a luxo. I'd say full-size has a 50/50 chance of being upgraded that far.

And again, some stations are better than others about it.
Can you explain how that works? Isn't premium 1 level up from full-size?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:49 am

Can you explain how that works? Isn't premium 1 level up from full-size?
A tiny car
b Compact
C Mid
D standard (2dr)
e Full
G prem
H luxury

As a PC, if you book a Mid size or Better (class C) your entitled to a two class upgrade based upon availability.

Availability, as defined by Avis Rent A car, means the car class is open for reservations within the reservation system and management does not need that car class to fulfill other reservations in other classes in that location or adjoining locations within that district.

That last statement is critical. If Budget is short Luxury cars, then avis shuttles it to them. Avis and budget are owned by the same company under NYSE Symbol CAR, AvisBudgetGroup.

So if i was going to research my options at getting a luxury upgrade at LAX, I would check SNA and ONT for avis and budget to see if they are sold out on Luxury. If they are, then my odds just went down. If they are not, my odds just went up. But by the letter of the program, if you booked a full size, and got a Premium car, then you were given an upgrade. No manager anywhere is "Required" to give you a luxury car when you book a full size, even if they had 600 available luxury cars on lot. Also, if you got Lincoln Town Car instead of a Cadi DTS, the location is not compelled to give you a DTS, even if you see one sitting right there next to your car. A luxury upgrade is a luxury upgrade.

If you were to book a full size car, and demand an SUV, again, the location does not have to give it to you. Specialty cars, which a luxury is part of (but included in the sedan tree), are not on the same upgrade path as the sedans.

As a PC, you could book a Mini SUV (F) and request a two class upgrade to an expedition if you wanted to. However most people who book specialty car classes do so for good reason, because it meets their needs. Someone who books a Van may not necessarily be too thrilled to get a convertible upgrade. Nor will someone who books a minivan be happy to see a 15 pax van in their stall. For that reason, most PC/Select upgrades are not done prior to your arrival unless you have specific notes in the reservation, such as "request suburban". just remember that if you request it, it doesnt mean you will get it.

Feel free to msg me directly with questions on any other scenarios.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:55 am

I'm not ez
no one ever said you were easy
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:39 am

Hey Ez,

Can you put this into English for us new president's club members? What should I book if I want a Cadillac or similar?
ill try. I know ill confuse some people. feel free to ask questions.

Book A full size or better, request luxury.

Thats your best bet. Plain and simple. Odds of success vary from location to location.

Another thing you can do is to book a SUV, inter-SUV, Convt, or other vehicle and request luxury. Depending upon your company's AWD, some car classes may be cheaper than others. I know for a fact that some DotCom/tech companies have huge discounts on Luxury Car class, but absolute zilch on SUV, Van, Convt, etc. So many of them book luxury cars and request the other car classes with significant success (greater than 80%). the same works in reverse for some AWD's.

Bottom line, Each manager/location has a $ amount that a rental has to hit in order to not be questioned about an upgrade. This doesn't mean they cant ever do an upgrade, it just means they wont get a second look about it when it happens. Certain times of year, rentals can be so expensive that booking a Compact as a presidents club might get you a G class car if they are short on sedans due to the seasonal influx. Lets face it, there are times when you are paying 60 dollars a day for a compact car. If thats the case, go ahead to the counter and ask to see if a full size, SUV, InterSUV, or even a luxury or premium is available. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But when the prices are that high, I could care less what car you were booked for, if I have spare, i just might give it to you. Happy customer is a repeat customer.

Absent of that $$ cap, they are limted to the upgrade tree and program guidelines to okay upgrades. So some people who have compact reservations end up in SUV's. or "vans" or "mom wagons". When some cars sit on the lot too long, you could end up in that car.

Saavy managers really teach their agents how to massage the system by keeping inactive cars down, making status customers happy, and keeping the ready line full so the rest of the agents do not have difficulty in provding their customers needs.

Plain english, this is how it works. A preferred agent (hourly employee) will get a list of available cars from management at the beginning of their shift. Not available cars like "15 luxury, 3 vans, 24 full size" mut more like "were really tight on sedans, so specialties are your upgrade cars" or "we have tons of Cadi's on lot that have been sitting too long, get them turned around asap."

The preferred agent will use those general guidelines, reserved class, length of rental, and customer knowledge to emulate a game plan for the next two hours (always starts two hours ahead).

Here is how I teach my agents to do it.

here is a mimmicked list that an agent will pull

xxx,xxx G+ PCI/pref DTS 1

Name Class Notes length of rental

We pull up two hours in advance, and look at the class. The "+" means that the customer by status has an upgrade. The notes determine the upgrade limit and any customer request information the last is the length of rental.

Essentially, if you are going to have a car for only 1 day, the sky can be the limit. You could get a hummer or a volvo for this particular sample reservation. The rate is high (g), the customer has status, and the rental is short. Depending on pre-existing rules set forth by the District manager, you could get a hummer, or you could only get a G, or any car inbetween, sideways, or upside down, primariliy because its a short rental.

now look at this example.
xxx,xxx E+ PCI/pref DTS 1

an upgrade may not be possible depending on how the system is at the time of your arrival, or it could totally be possible. This is one of the reasons why you may see alot of CADI's available, but you are not upgraded into one of them. The management may be holding them in case they run out of G, or E cars. there may be 45 Cadi's on the lot, but if the balance of G and E cars is -15 or worse, there will be some upgrades done. those are the perfect time to be "early" to the party. If a preferred agent comes into work at 6am and sees -15 on E, then every PCI that comes across her/his desk will get a Luxury in an attempt to balance the system out. The first 15 PCI's in that day will be satisfied with their upgrades. After that, its a balancing act between the next hour's cars and the supply of E cars and Demand at that magical two hours prior mark. You may be the unlucky soul who comes in at just the moment when a ton of Full size cars check in, and because tons of CAdi's already went out, they may need to re-balance the fleet and slow down upgrades to make sure that the 7pm hour still has enough luxury cars to meet their reservations.

A Saavy Preferred agent will upgrade people and downgrade people at will to balance the fleet and keep available cars flowing. A "shuttle" of cars arrives from the QTA (cleaning area, stands for quick turnaround area) that has 14 Compacts 15 Mid size and 40 Full size. The reservations on the next hour (and looking two hours ahead for preferred) shows the need for 16 Full Size, 35 Mid size and 60 compact Cars. Already on the ready line, the agent has 14 SUV's 10 Vans, 24 Cadi's and 15 Premimum Cars.

14 Compacts will likely be saved for regular reservations or given to subcompact reservations for Select status individuals. Full size reservations with or without status will get premium cars, luxury cars, and full size cars depending upon length of rental and rate, leaving more full size cars left over to cover the mid size reservations. Then status mid size individuals may get upgrades to full size (even PC, single class) in order to balance the fleet for the hour.

Not everyone can see the logic in this. Its like a chess game. Put the people in the cars and avoid checkmate (too many people, not enough cars). A untrained agent might just drop all the PCI's into their two class upgrade, then for the next 3 hours the location is chasing their tail trying to balance.

Downgrading (oh the horror!)

Many businessmen book specific car classes, but really they just need to "get there" for that meeting. Avis will, in the absense of your reserved car class, assume that you need a car right away and will try to put you into anything that is available, should you really need to get going in a hurry. It will usually be an upgrade, but it can be a downgrade. If your booked for a full size, but the only thing available is mid size, The agent, by empowerment guidelines, should back your rate down to a subcompact rate, give you the mid size car (giving you the two class upgrade your entitled to) and send you on your way, or you could decline the car and wait for something better. you would be right by saying "should you upgrade rather than downgrade". The answer is yes. But reality gives way to desire at times. Reality bites. No cars, you take what you can get. Plus PC customers can walk up to any location and get a car even if the location is 100% sold out. The agent will get you any car, charge you for that car class, and send you on your way even if customers are camped out like woodstock in the lobby.

There are benefits to PCI.

That is now its "supposed" to work. Not always works that way.

Last edited by ezmonee; Sep 29, 2006 at 4:56 am
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ezmonee
ill try. I know ill confuse some people. feel free to ask questions.

{SNIP}

That is now its "supposed" to work. Not always works that way.
This is the best explanation I've ever seen. Thanks so much!
What's the best way to put notes in the reservation when booking online? Or should I book through the phone for this reason?

Last edited by aviators99; Sep 30, 2006 at 9:23 pm
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:21 am

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold VIP, Avis Preferred Select. P-*A Silver
Las Vegas this past week...we went from a Ford Taurus to a Chevy Monte Carlo SS
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Tul

Class reserved: Premium
Car received: Cadi (had a choice of either Cadi or Towncar)
Length: 1 week.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:47 am

This is the best explanation I've ever seen. Thanks so much!
What's the best way to put notes in the reservation when booking online? Or should I book through the phone for this reason?

Next time you rent, just walk to the counter and ask them to put a note in your profile. If you want to change preferences each time, youll have to call the res center, give them your reservation number, and put in the request.

As always, remember, this is a request, not a guarantee, for a particular car or upgrade.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Dayton Ohio a coupla days ago, on a one day business rental:

I went from (reserved a) compact to (got ) a Caravan.

...and then promptly marched right back in and asked for a car that I would not smash into things (like I had requested). ^

Since this was the second time (in a short period) that something like this has happened (last time I refused a Chevy Suburban for my compact), I called them up and now "no upgrades" is in my profile. ^ I'm used to subcompacts.... If I drive a big car, I'm going to smash it into stuff... then noone is happy. Hopefully that note will stop these crazy upgrades.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I'm preferred select. Reserved luxury and was "upgraded" to a SUV, a Suzuki XL7 at that
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Ritz Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold,
Orlando MCO Location

Last two rentals

Class reserved: Full Size
Car received: Towncar - One way return to Miami

Class reserved: Full Size
Car received: Grand Marquis - One way return to Tampa
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:41 am

Preferred Select

Last rental, in Palo Alto:
reserved mid-size, got a Buick Lucerne CXS

Previous rental, at SFO:
my "upgrade" consisted of a 1yr+ old Grand Am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.