Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
As of 2/12/14: We've had quite a few "Hey, come use this AWD. It's great" type of posts. When the AWD doesn't give a good discount, but is only posted to try to get renters to use the AWD of someone so the poster can earn free days from their Avis Corporate account. From here out, please put the company/trade group/etc that's associated with the AWD or we'll delete the post to keep it on-topic here.

Status Match &/or Complimentary Status
(only public matches posted where Avis or entity post public links - certain corporations also offer upgrades - they are not listed since they are not public)

Status Match
  • (Not applicable to residents in the US and Canada) link here
President's Club (complimentary upgrade)
  • American Airlines 100k Loyalty Points level choice (link here)
  • United Club Infinite, Presidential Plus Business/Consumer, & Business Card primary Cardmembers (link here)
  • United MileagePlus members with Premier Platinum or status or higher (link here)
  • Aeroplan 75K and Super Elite Members as well as the Primary Cardholder of an Aeroplan premium credit card (link here)
  • Hawaiian Air Pualani Platinum members (link here)
  • Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer Solitaire PPS Club and PPS Club members (link here)
  • American Express Platinum card holders (outside USA) link here
  • Mastercard World Elite or Black cardholders (Europe, Turkey, & CIS) link here
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite (benefits link here)
  • Lincoln Black Label members (link here)
  • Inspirato members (link here)
  • THIRDHOME members (link here)
  • SouthernSun Black Status Members (South Africa) (link here)
  • DNB Mastercard Upgrade cardholders (Norway) (link here)
  • XO Access Members (link here)
Preferred Plus (complimentary upgrade)
  • American Airlines 60k Loyalty Points level choice (link here)
  • United MileagePlus Premier Silver and Premier Gold members (link here)
  • Aeroplan 25K, 35K and 50K Members and primary cardholders of an Aeroplan core credit card (link here)
  • Etihad Guest Gold Members (residing in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey) link here
  • Mastercard World Elite card holders (US based) link here
  • Visa Infinite card holders (US & Canada based) (link here)
  • American Express Platinum Cardholders (US Based) link here
  • CLEAR Plus members (link here)
  • Founders Card Members (link provided after joining)
Print Wikipost

Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:38 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by rockycfc
Hi There

I am from New Zealand, and the company I work for has an AWD code we can use. When I use that code in the avis.com site (rather than the local .co.nz site) and set my place of residence as NZ I get one price which seems similar to rack, maybe a small discount.

However if I leave at the default "I am a US resident" I get a substantial discount on this.

Now, my question is I am not a US resident, will they check this when I pick the car up and ping me for a higher rate?
I've done this on European rentals and never had an issue. Now if I get into an accident, that probably would be a different story. But I had insurance through my card/ins company, so I wan't too worried about that.

Originally Posted by crhptic
You might want to get an Avis Wizard number (they are free. go to https://secure.avis.com/programs_and...umber_app.html to apply). That way, at major airports you can totally bypass the counter and the first person who sees your drivers license will be the person at the gate who has no idea about your rate and doesn't care about anything other than that your name and the car you're in both match the contract.
It's worth noting that even with a Wizard #, you'll have to stop at the desk on your first rental to have your account verified, unfortunately.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by rockycfc
Hi There

I am from New Zealand, and the company I work for has an AWD code we can use. When I use that code in the avis.com site (rather than the local .co.nz site) and set my place of residence as NZ I get one price which seems similar to rack, maybe a small discount.

However if I leave at the default "I am a US resident" I get a substantial discount on this.

Now, my question is I am not a US resident, will they check this when I pick the car up and ping me for a higher rate?
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I've done this on European rentals and never had an issue. Now if I get into an accident, that probably would be a different story. But I had insurance through my card/ins company, so I wan't too worried about that.

It's worth noting that even with a Wizard #, you'll have to stop at the desk on your first rental to have your account verified, unfortunately.
The part about getting a wizard number is good advice, but IAH is also very correct that in each country (or sometimes each franchise area), it will be necessary to stop at the main counter for verification. Also, please note that Avis is nowhere near the number #2 rental company in most of Europe (I think they are #2 or #3 in the UK, but that is the exception for Europe, especially for Germany, France, and Spain, where Avis is down the list. The reason I mention this is that many of the Avis counters (even at airports) and non-airport Avis rental locations are very small in comparison to the USA.

IAH also mentions having insurance through your credit card, which is almost routine if you have AMEX, VISA, or MC, and totally the case if you have one of those cards in Platinum or Black/Signature, as the case may be. Just check with your card issuer to confirm, then you will probably be safe. I doubt they will be verifying your drivers license against the country of residence as listed on your rental agreement, AND, do you know how many people have foreign DL's and live in the US as permanent residents? Many, many, many! Not really an issue as far as my experience goes.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
do you know how many people have foreign DL's and live in the US as permanent residents? Many, many, many! Not really an issue as far as my experience goes.
Also from my experience, not really an issue.
Why would a rental company admit that they discriminate customers based on place of residence?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by alterman
Also from my experience, not really an issue.
Why would a rental company admit that they discriminate customers based on place of residence?
It never occurred to me that someone would think of it as a discrimination issue. To me it was always either a marketing issue, or an insurance issue.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:20 am

Just some "intel", I used the CostCo AWD code and also a double upgrade code (now currently no longer on CostCo website however the offer itself expired June 30 2010) at Avis DFW Airport.

Nobody asked me for coupons, my CostCo card (I am a member...), etc etc. Nothing.

All I got were happy smiles and good service
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by alterman
It never occurred to me that someone would think of it as a discrimination issue. To me it was always either a marketing issue, or an insurance issue.
Well, it is discrimination. Just select different countries of residence from the dropdown box and see how how rates can change.

Note that country of residence is not the same as nationality. I would imagine that a US national resident in, say, Turkey could be a better bet than a Turkish resident in Turkey. (Examples chosen purely to illustrate a difference without implying anything else.)

'Marketing', yes - an excuse to raise prices to unsuspecting clients while retaining competitive rates in major markets. 'Insurance', no, when comparing rates which don't include insurance - though this is more difficult when only insurance-inclusive rates are available in some markets.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
When are discount codes applied? I have input codes, but I don't see the discounted price at check-out.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Well, it is discrimination. Just select different countries of residence from the dropdown box and see how how rates can change.

Note that country of residence is not the same as nationality. I would imagine that a US national resident in, say, Turkey could be a better bet than a Turkish resident in Turkey. (Examples chosen purely to illustrate a difference without implying anything else.)

'Marketing', yes - an excuse to raise prices to unsuspecting clients while retaining competitive rates in major markets. 'Insurance', no, when comparing rates which don't include insurance - though this is more difficult when only insurance-inclusive rates are available in some markets.
I'm sorry, but I still do not see it as discrimination, and I am speaking as an expert, since I have taught classes on discriminatory laws and practices.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry, but I still do not see it as discrimination, and I am speaking as an expert, since I have taught classes on discriminatory laws and practices.
Well, as an expert, you will know that charging people different prices for the same service based purely on their country of residence is discrimination.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well, as an expert, you will know that charging people different prices for the same service based purely on their country of residence is discrimination.
I think he meant it was not discrimination against a protected class.
An American residing in Turkey would get the same rate as a Turk residing in Turkey. A Turk residing in the US would get the same rate as an American residing in the US.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:02 pm

Mvoight is correct, because by your definition, it would be discrimination to charge two different people who live in the US different prices for car rentals, airline tickets, and hotel rooms, all of which we know goes on, and all of which we know is not discriminatory. You are making quite a leap to say "purely on their country of residence." Ideally though, it would not be a requirement for the rez system to know where people live, but in reality, we know it is a necessity. Please also keep in mind that there are countries which are not members of the United Nations, and therefor their driver's licenses are not internationally recognized by treaty.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
An American residing in Turkey would get the same rate as a Turk residing in Turkey. A Turk residing in the US would get the same rate as an American residing in the US.
Without prolonging the issue unnecessarily, the Country of Residence should not on its own define rates to be charged. There may be other reasons - experience, for example - but Country of Residence is meaningless and is used to raise prices for unsuspecting furinners. UK drivers are well used to this on international bookings and it is not an insurance issue where insurance is a separate item. Of course, Brits are often only offered insurance-inclusive rates.
Ideally though, it would not be a requirement for the rez system to know where people live, but in reality, we know it is a necessity. Please also keep in mind that there are countries which are not members of the United Nations, and therefor their driver's licenses are not internationally recognized by treaty.
I don't know how many countries' licenses are not recognised, and I guess for these people, the International Driving Permit would come into play. Country of Residence does not imply driving licence qualification. In any case, d/l info has to be provided when renting.

Practical example: I just made a dummy booking at avis.com for an Intermediate (Toyota Corolla) at Cape Town for 2 days in July. Without AWD or other discount, the base price before tax is:
  • $95.99 for a US resident;
  • ZAR 962 (about $123.88) for a UK resident.

Huh?!

The US resident gets CDW, PAI, liability insurance and TP included, the UK resident just CDW and TP, and liability insurance is not available even for a surcharge. So the UK resident pays 28.5% more for less in this example.

Let's think, is it to do with nationality? No. Is it to do with experience? No. Just Country of Residence.

No matter that the UK resident is more likely to have more experience of driving on the left than the US resident, nor that the UK resident may also have more experience of manual gear change (stick shift) than the US resident. (They drive in the left in South Africa and most rental cars are manual.)

Sorry, guys. This stinks. And you can understand why some posters are asking about the consequences of selecting a different country of residence when reserving.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:45 am

Practical example: I just made a dummy booking at avis.com for an Intermediate (Toyota Corolla) at Cape Town for 2 days in July. Without AWD or other discount, the base price before tax is:
  • $95.99 for a US resident;
  • ZAR 962 (about $123.88) for a UK resident.

Huh?!

The US resident gets CDW, PAI, liability insurance and TP included, the UK resident just CDW and TP, and liability insurance is not available even for a surcharge. So the UK resident pays 28.5% more for less in this example.

Let's think, is it to do with nationality? No. Is it to do with experience? No. Just Country of Residence.

No matter that the UK resident is more likely to have more experience of driving on the left than the US resident, nor that the UK resident may also have more experience of manual gear change (stick shift) than the US resident. (They drive in the left in South Africa and most rental cars are manual.)

Sorry, guys. This stinks. And you can understand why some posters are asking about the consequences of selecting a different country of residence when reserving.
I never thought it did not stink, and I never wondered about why people will use a different country of residence, other than their own, when making a car rental reservation. However, I also wonder if there is some other reason why car rental companies formulate different rental rates based on country of residence.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, I also wonder if there is some other reason why car rental companies formulate different rental rates based on country of residence.
Yes, it would be useful to know this.

My suspicion is that destination rental rates are decided to some extent by renters' residence, so that in markets with high local rates, for example the UK, the companies believe they can get higher returns by charging rates higher than to renters in other markets.

I take this as the 'marketing' you mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to know why I can't get rental-only rates in some markets. I have my own comprehensive rental insurance from American Express UK, which by all accounts is superior to that offered in North America - another market-based offer. If I book at avis.com or similar websites, I'm typically offered only insurance-inclusive rates.

I always compare, and in the US and Canada have found alternatives which offer rental-only rates and sometimes offer even more miles on AA or elsewhere than the 1,000 VS miles per rental I get with Avis.

As always, YMMV.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:43 am

Yes, it would be useful to know this.

My suspicion is that destination rental rates are decided to some extent by renters' residence, so that in markets with high local rates, for example the UK, the companies believe they can get higher returns by charging rates higher than to renters in other markets.

I take this as the 'marketing' you mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to know why I can't get rental-only rates in some markets. I have my own comprehensive rental insurance from American Express UK, which by all accounts is superior to that offered in North America - another market-based offer. If I book at avis.com or similar websites, I'm typically offered only insurance-inclusive rates.

I always compare, and in the US and Canada have found alternatives which offer rental-only rates and sometimes offer even more miles on AA or elsewhere than the 1,000 VS miles per rental I get with Avis.

As always, YMMV.
Maybe including certain forms of insurance in some countries is due to laws or local ordinances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.