FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/2043606-avis-reminder-emails-now-contain-awd-code-check-warning.html)

nomiiiii Jun 17, 2021 9:22 am

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Over the past month, all the avis reservation reminder emails have started including this bold text warning:

This reservation was made using a corporate AWD (Avis Worldwide Discount Code) that requires validation of eligibility. Please be prepared to produce your company ID, business card, or a recent email with the company’s email domain (e.g. @xyzcompany.com) for employment verification purposes when picking up your vehicle.

Over 10 years of renting with avis, and now is the first time that emails are coming with this warning.
Is this just an email template change, or have compliance checks actually ramped up for some reason (specially at airport locations where as preferred you don't even meet a human that often).

rflor Jun 17, 2021 10:07 am

Came here with same question. I have a rental coming up in 2 weeks and it will be interesting to see how they handle it, especially for preassigned vehicles.

restrictonthehanger Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm

My eligibility (work ID) was checked today for using a corporate leisure AWD at a US location, but I had to go to the counter for a different reason. Vehicle was preassigned. I used the same AWD once in Canada in 2019 and no verification was done.

NBNY424 Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm

i try to avoid using these codes generally but whenever i rent with Avis or Budget, the checkout is so quick/easy at airports that I find it hard to see at what point an employee would check for the appropriate ID. In Phoenix and at Newark, Avis lets you scan yourself out even.

But no question you will be asked for ID at a non-airport location.

Lomapaseo Jun 18, 2021 8:37 am

The Avis rep at an Off-airport location told me that they were under corporate direction to check for IDs. So who carries that kind of ID when traveling??

Years ago when I got my Avis club ID card it imprinted my company affiliation on it. I recall that I had to fax them something from my office. I expect to use that card when asked.

Auto Enthusiast Jun 18, 2021 11:49 am

Compliance checks are ramping up because inventory is way down, leisure demand is way up, and usually steady business travel (whose volume compensates for low rates) is slow to return. So there is a huge opportunity cost in letting out one of the few cars left on a low rate plan.

brosnan6 Jun 18, 2021 12:28 pm

I noticed it on a recent reservation reminder email as well, although it's definitely not consistent across all corporate AWDs. I won't specify which AWDs did/didn't trigger the warning but to me it's clear that some are being watched more closely than others (guessing it's especially the ones with unique discounts or special terms like no one way drop fees).

Thankfully I always retain old company IDs/badges and business cards from prior jobs so I'm going to stick with using only the ones where I can provide "proof". Best practice for me when traveling is to always have my mini tumi pouch (the old soft pouch DL amenity kits) with all forms of company affiliation in case I'm ever asked at a hotel or car rental.

Lomapaseo Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6 (Post 33339074)
I noticed it on a recent reservation reminder email as well, although it's definitely not consistent across all corporate AWDs. I won't specify which AWDs did/didn't trigger the warning but to me it's clear that some are being watched more closely than others (guessing it's especially the ones with unique discounts or special terms like no one way drop fees).

Thankfully I always retain old company IDs/badges and business cards from prior jobs so I'm going to stick with using only the ones where I can provide "proof". Best practice for me when traveling is to always have my mini tumi pouch (the old soft pouch DL amenity kits) with all forms of company affiliation in case I'm ever asked at a hotel or car rental.

Same here :)

reminds me of the tram police of old that notchalantly walked down the aisle and randomly pulled open their trench coat displaying their badges before ensuring I had legally paid the fare

GW McLintock Jun 20, 2021 12:01 pm

I rented in SLC last month and there was no check -- in fact, the exit booth guy was from a third-party security company and I think he just checked my license. I just noticed that my confirmation email for that rental had this verbiage as well.

I keep my insurance card with my company logo on it, so I hope that is adequate. It is sufficient at a local museum that gives employees and their guests free admission.

-J.

JohnneeO Jun 23, 2021 8:57 am

I rented from a local location in NJ on May 26 using an AWD and there was no check. Renting from this location again in August, I guess I will see then if anything has changed.

ijgordon Jun 24, 2021 9:05 pm

I got hosed in Manhattan back in April on this. I had been using a code for a while provided by a friend. It was from a consumer-oriented company, so was never really clear whether the code was for employees or customers. My $50/day rate turned into $200/day, but they would offer me a “manager special” of ~$150. :rolleyes: None of my legit AWDs (AARP, USAA, Amex Plat) were any better but I was able to find a similar rate from Hertz a mile away that with the 4 hour Plat grace period would save me one day rental, so I just walked.

SudOvest Jun 25, 2021 7:22 am

Are they less likely to check for Id with Corporate AWDs outside of the US? Sardinia/ Milan in particular? I know the supply /demand issue isn’t there like in The US

DELee Jun 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Let us know how it works out without a correct ID.

David

rylan Jun 26, 2021 11:01 am

My next Avis rental isn't until later in July so will see what happens then if they ask... but its my corporate AWD and I have business cards so shouldn't be an issue.

sdsearch Jun 27, 2021 10:17 am

Originally Posted by JohnneeO (Post 33350791)
I rented from a local location in NJ on May 26 using an AWD and there was no check. Renting from this location again in August, I guess I will see then if anything has changed.

This is not for all AWDs (as the thread title can imply if you don't also read the original post). It's only for those corporate AWDs which are only intended for employees (not customers). If you're using an AWD which is intended for customers, this shouldn't apply to you.