Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 List Your Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020 | 8:17 pm

Have an upcoming two week rental at GRR. Preferred Plus. If I book a full size car is there a chance I'll get upgraded to an SUV, or should I just book the SUV?
Old Jan 16, 2020 | 11:46 am
Original Poster
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by googs185
Have an upcoming two week rental at GRR. Preferred Plus. If I book a full size car is there a chance I'll get upgraded to an SUV, or should I just book the SUV?
If you *need* the SUV, then you need to book it. If you're just hopeful, there's always a chance, but it might be extremely slim. Depends on day/time and time of the year (in the winter, everyone wants an SUV up there in case of inclimate weather).
Old Jan 16, 2020 | 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
If you *need* the SUV, then you need to book it. If you're just hopeful, there's always a chance, but it might be extremely slim. Depends on day/time and time of the year (in the winter, everyone wants an SUV up there in case of inclimate weather).
I booked through Costco and made 2 reservations, one for an SUV and one for a full. Cant I just see if they upgrade me with the full and if they dont use the SUV reservation?
Old Jan 17, 2020 | 4:09 am
5 Years on Site

I booked through Costco and made 2 reservations, one for an SUV and one for a full. Cant I just see if they upgrade me with the full and if they dont use the SUV reservation?
Why would they do that?
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020 | 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Why would they do that?
I don't know. If I have two reservations and there are no cancellation fees, I can choose which one I want to use. Or maybe I'll just book one under my wife's name instead and if they don't give me the upgrade, just use her reservation
Old Jan 18, 2020 | 4:53 am
5 Years on Site

I don't know. If I have two reservations and there are no cancellation fees, I can choose which one I want to use. Or maybe I'll just book one under my wife's name instead and if they don't give me the upgrade, just use her reservation
Employee sees full-size reservation for $100. Employee sees SUV reservation for $150. Employee asks which one you want. You say you want an SUV. Employee...cancels SUV reservation and gives you an SUV anyway at the lower rate?

Sure, it could happen if you're ultra nice to the desk agent, but it's silly to be all worried about it. Have you even checked rates for SUVs from other companies? GRR is a National Emerald Aisle location where you can actually book a midsize and reasonably expect to find an SUV on the aisle.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020 | 10:08 am

Originally Posted by m907
Employee sees full-size reservation for $100. Employee sees SUV reservation for $150. Employee asks which one you want. You say you want an SUV. Employee...cancels SUV reservation and gives you an SUV anyway at the lower rate?

Sure, it could happen if you're ultra nice to the desk agent, but it's silly to be all worried about it. Have you even checked rates for SUVs from other companies? GRR is a National Emerald Aisle location where you can actually book a midsize and reasonably expect to find an SUV on the aisle.
Unfortunately, I don't have National status. So this won't work for me, right?

The reason for this whole rigamarole is that this is for a work trip and they won't pay for SUV, I don't think. I was hoping to book the full size class, that they will reimburse for, then get the free upgrade.
Old Jan 19, 2020 | 4:54 am
5 Years on Site

Unfortunately, I don't have National status. So this won't work for me, right?

The reason for this whole rigamarole is that this is for a work trip and they won't pay for SUV, I don't think. I was hoping to book the full size class, that they will reimburse for, then get the free upgrade.
It's free to enroll in National's Emerald Club, and that gets you access to the Emerald Aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.