Wiki Posts
Search

Avis LAX has the worst bus service of all

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:29 am
SST
Original Poster

Avis LAX has the worst bus service of all

I just waited (again) for almost 30 minutes at 9:00 am. This has been my experience each of my last 4-5 unfortunate rental experiences this year. I have to bang into my head: at LAX, ANYBODY but Avis.....
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
All the way back to 2007 there were complaints about the bus service at LAX https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis...ord-other.html
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by SST
I just waited (again) for almost 30 minutes at 9:00 am. This has been my experience each of my last 4-5 unfortunate rental experiences this year. I have to bang into my head: at LAX, ANYBODY but Avis.....
It is truly frustrating to watch multiple Hertz, Budget, and hotel buses roll by and not even one Avis bus.

I complained some time back, and was told that they were going to get more buses into service. Seems that did not happen.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
The app now shows where the buses are. I got picked up pretty quickly, but the app showed a 10 minute gap between that bus and the next one. This was on a busy Friday evening.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
This has been a long-running issue for years, as mentioned by @UAPremExecflyer. A FlyerTalk friend who used to manage another large Avis branch said that Avis corporate standards required a bus every 4 minutes. I don't know how LAX has been able to get away with violating Avis corporate standards for so long.

I'm guessing it'll never get fixed. If/when the new CONRAC gets built at LAX, that'll more or less solve it. Maybe Avis is pinching pennies and hoping to avoid the cost of buying more buses by just holding off long enough until they don't need to operate their own bus fleet.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Lucked out yesterday around noon. Caught the bus about to leave and the driver saw me running. The app said the next bus would be in 19 minutes as it was just leaving the AVIS Station.

I asked the bus driver, only 2 buses running. Versus like 15 Hertz I saw along the way.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Lucked out yesterday around noon. Caught the bus about to leave and the driver saw me running. The app said the next bus would be in 19 minutes as it was just leaving the AVIS Station.

I asked the bus driver, only 2 buses running. Versus like 15 Hertz I saw along the way.
Interesting. IIRC Hertz LAX has a countdown clock at their bus platform, and I don't think I've ever seen it be more than 5 minutes. Countdown clock aside, I've also just barely missed a Hertz bus and haven't had to wait more than about 5 minutes for the next one (which is good, because I quite frequently find myself returning to LAX about an hour before flight, so even a 5-minute delay is panic-inducing! ).

I've definitely waited upwards of 10-15 minutes for a Hertz bus at baggage claim, but I think that can be chalked up to the buses getting bunched up and delayed by traffic on World Way. They always depart from the Hertz lot pretty close to 5 minutes apart.

How on earth Avis LAX can still be getting away with this (in direct contradiction to their internal standards) is beyond me. It's not a transient issue; it's been this way for over a decade. I'd have thought that Avis corporate would have fired the entire regional management team over this by now...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Nevermind what I said earlier. Arrive Thursday at 530am. Took 45 MINUTES! for the bus to come in. Asked the bus driver what took so long and he got really upset, saying he had just come in and wasn't his business.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I've actually walked it before when it was a pleasant day and I had a small bag - couldn't be bothered to wait around. Took about half an hour and I arrived in a pleasant mood rather than feeling frustrated!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
I've actually walked it before when it was a pleasant day and I had a small bag - couldn't be bothered to wait around. Took about half an hour and I arrived in a pleasant mood rather than feeling frustrated!
I'll try this next time./ I swear I saw more than 15 buses from every single company go by, even at 5am. Unacceptable.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:36 pm

I just returned a rental at LAX on 6/22. I think Avis was just running one bus, two at the most.

Avis LAX was like a ghost town with just a handful of customers. I hadn't realized that the rental car companies seem to have been hit harder than airlines and hotels. It was kind of shocking.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Costco Club
I see nothing has changed with LAX lol.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:43 pm

By the time 3 nationals come around, theres that one red bus
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.

Where is that large automobile? "Sorry, I know you reserved a luxury, but all we have are Dodge Journeys and a 55,000-mile Malibu that caught fire. Take it or leave it."

I think David Byrne wrote that song while waiting for the Avis bus at LAX.
indufan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.