AVIS - PHL

Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
AVIS - PHL

I have read some horror stories about the PHL location.
Has anyone renting form them recently?
Will be renting a midsize SUV for 3 weeks in May/June and reviews have said they have VERY poor choice or having to wait a long time for an SUV to arrive and very rude staff.
Rented plenty of cars in the past at PHL but never will Avis and almost scared to show up lol.

Also, are there any new models to their SUV fleet this year?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I had a preferred rental at PHL recently. Unfortunately their gate guard did not know how to process the contract. He left the shack, locked it up and went to the Avis office so someone could do it for him. I got to leave after waiting for twenty minutes at the exit gate.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I have a client north of PHL so I have to fly in there regularly.
Our company has a contract with Avis that includes the LDW for corporate rates, so I generally am expected to use Avis.
Thus, I use Avis PHL somewhat regularly.

Things you should expect:
1. The reserved class of car will be the class you receive, regardless of status. (I'm Avis 1st, with about 12-15 rentals a year specifically at PHL out of 50-60 per year for Avis in total.)
2. No cars (of any type) to be in the "Exchange" area.
3. The lot to be full of cars, including the "Upgrade" area.
4. The Preferred Desk reps to be generally assistive in upgrading your reservation if you proactively ask.
5. The return process to be pretty quick and painless.

Things you should not expect:
1. A proactively upgraded car.
2. A quick exit at the gate if you have a different car than assigned.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Granted, I'm a Chairman, but at PHL I receive some of the best service compared to other large locations.

And if Sam is there, he's always been a charm to work with and talk to. He used to be in MDT and moved over to PHL a few years ago.

Originally Posted by brkandjfk
Things you should expect:
1. The reserved class of car will be the class you receive, regardless of status. (I'm Avis 1st, with about 12-15 rentals a year specifically at PHL out of 50-60 per year for Avis in total.)
Things you should not expect:
1. A proactively upgraded car.
Not surprising. When I was 1st, it was rare to get an upgrade without asking.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:30 am

I have rented a lot @ PHL in the last one year. I should say this place is the damn slow and got the most rude ppl at the counter. You will never get an upgrade even if you are avis first. Its probably just my experience from the last 5-6 times i rented there.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I would agree with the other posters.

I rent from PHL frequently - used to be National, now with Avis (due to changing companies).

I have had good service from the Preferred desk, since I always have to check with them as my space is never preassigned.

I would also say, that if you do find a car in the exchange, they won't know how to process it when you leave, and you will also find yourself at the desk when you return since they didn't process it correctly to begin with. Leave yourself some extra time.

The people that work at check-in seem to be very friendly.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Sorry for the delay!

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
I never expect an upgrade so IF it does happen...I am always grateful. I just turned 40 and going there to celebrate with family etc so I *might* mention that we are there for that reason..who knows..maybe they be having a good day and give us an upgrade After a long flight...I just want to get in the car and goooooooooooo!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I just noticed an unauthorized charge on my credit card from Avis. The details showed a rental at Avis PHL last week, except that I did not rent from Avis last week.

I had cancelled a "pay later" preferred reservation before the pick up time. The e-receipt shows that the car was checked out for a full day in my name and driven 100 miles. Did someone drive the car with my name on the contract? Don't know if I'm being scammed, or Avis employees at PHL handed my contract and keys to another customer. I contacted the Avis call center and they see that the car was rented, but won't tell me what happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.