Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) and Chargebacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Avis has been doing this for years - I had exactly the same problem. I even had a copy of the contract that I DIDN'T check the I'll pay in my local currency box. They still refused me and charged it in my local currency.

I don't care how much but this act is simply a scam. I have contacted Avis but there is nothing I can do.

Next time - you may consider using your CC to draw cash and pay cash upon return - that's the ONLY way to avoid DCC by Avis.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please update below and save any changes to ensure your profile has been updated.

Type of Card: [drop box]
Card Number: [editable field]
Expiration Date: [drop boxes]

Note: International travelers using a MasterCard or Visa charge card have the opportunity to be billed in their local currency:

I only have a Wizard account, I have no idea what Preferred will do to me.

I realised an old card was on my profile when a rental last weekend got booked against the wrong card.

I fixed the rental, but I also updated my Wizard profile to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The above options do not appear for Visa/MC against my Wizard profile. Must be a Preferred "privilege"

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 7, 2013 at 9:28 am
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
I only have a Wizard account, I have no idea what Preferred will do to me.

I realised an old card was on my profile when a rental last weekend got booked against the wrong card.

I fixed the rental, but I also updated my Wizard profile to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The above options do not appear for Visa/MC against my Wizard profile. Must be a Preferred "privilege"
Yes - 'Preferred' customers in the US, but in Europe (at least) we are forced to DCC in our 'home' currency.

I was told at LAX Avis that the only way I could avoid the forced DCC is to settle the bill in cash upon returning the rental.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Mine is there, but only when press Edit.

It looks like this before I press Edit:
Type of Card: Mastercard
Card Number: ************nnnn
Expiration Date: Month, 20nn
It looks like this after I press Edit:
Please update below and save any changes to ensure your profile has been updated.

Type of Card: [drop box]
Card Number: [editable field]
Expiration Date: [drop boxes]

Note: International travelers using a MasterCard or Visa charge card have the opportunity to be billed in their local currency:

[ ] I choose to have Avis bill all my future rental charges in the currency of my Avis profile credit card.

I understand that if I am renting at a location at which the currency differs from my credit card issuing currency, Avis will convert my rental charges to my card issuing currency. Immediately after I return my rental car, Avis will use the prevailing conversion rate. Any converted amount will be billed to my credit card. The conversion will be conducted by the Avis location. The international currency selection fee is three percent. If you disagree please unselect checkbox.
Cancel | SAVE
In my case, that was checked! (I got billed in local currency the last time I rented internationally, which was in September 2012, so I presume they added this online and made it opt-out after that!)

I just unchecked it, of course!

Thanks a lot for this information, makos and piyush!
Unfortunately that doesn't help, I picked up a car in London and even though
I had made sure to uncheck that box I got a contract which said that I had choosen to pay in local currency
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
I had made sure to uncheck that box I got a contract which said that I had choosen to pay in local currency
You want to pay in local currency.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paying in local currency is avoidance of DCC.

DCC is paying in your own currency.

So it seems like it did help!

(Or else you wrote up something other than what the contract says. )
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:00 pm

No, my bad written in a hurry, I meant my local currency referring to the line above where it says.

The contract had the usual
I confirm that I was offered a choice of payment in £ but choose...

This has now happened twice, both times in England, first at Heathrow and
then at Manchester airport.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has now happened twice, both times in England, first at Heathrow and
then at Manchester airport.
Same as Avis in France - I even checked the box that I wish to be billed in EURO. I had a copy of the contract and sent it to them and appealed to Avis and they denied it
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:48 am

Did you complain to VISA/Mastercard? they can amed it

I always ask them to change it when I pick up the car, there's never
been a problem except that it's wating time.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, Avis charged me wrongfully for some other things and they refunded me more than that amount for DCC so I didn't do anything.

Afterwards, I did a charged back for the DCC amount and was denied by a very stupid Swedish bank.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:26 am

This just happened to me by Avis.

I hate DCC. Earlier in the year, I rented a car in Toronto and was charged in USD instead of Canadian. That is when I found out about the "check box" in my wizard profile, which I promptly unchecked.

Subsequent rentals in Toronto have gone ok and I was charged in Canadian.

But that wasn't the case last month with a rental in France. Returned the car to CDG airport and was given a receipt showing I paid in Euro. No mention of any DCC, or me being given a choice. No mention of USD anywhere. I was pleased.

Imagine my surprise to see the charge post anyway in USD. Went online to my Avis profile and receipt is still in Euro. In this case the local Avis manager must have done the change manually.

I am disputing it with Avis (on my 4th email) and with Visa.

This is a scam and has to stop!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
This just happened to me by Avis.

I hate DCC. Earlier in the year, I rented a car in Toronto and was charged in USD instead of Canadian. That is when I found out about the "check box" in my wizard profile, which I promptly unchecked.

Subsequent rentals in Toronto have gone ok and I was charged in Canadian.

But that wasn't the case last month with a rental in France. Returned the car to CDG airport and was given a receipt showing I paid in Euro. No mention of any DCC, or me being given a choice. No mention of USD anywhere. I was pleased.

Imagine my surprise to see the charge post anyway in USD. Went online to my Avis profile and receipt is still in Euro. In this case the local Avis manager must have done the change manually.

I am disputing it with Avis (on my 4th email) and with Visa.

This is a scam and has to stop!
Yes that's the very same happened to us - asked to be billed in EUR and I even checked the box that I want to be billed in EUR - I had hard copy of the contract but Avis refused to accept that.

Another time I disputed it with Visa about Avis DCCed me again for my rental in the US but they turned it down because 'I used the service'. I asked for the different that they DCCed me but it was refused.

Today when I was clearing out trash I found an Avis receipt saying something like 'I had a choice to be billed in USD or SEK but I chose to be billed in SEK, and that Avis will charge a fee of 3%'.

There was no where I could sign or decline it. The only thing I could do was to pay cash when I return the car

This is the price to pay for being Preferred. I was told that if I weren't Preferred I could avoid all these - but in return I'll have to queue and then try to sell me paid upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Ugh. I can't believe I fell victim to this. I thought I did everything right.

I made sure that my preferences were to NOT be billed in my home currency on my Wizard profile months ago. (though when I go back to try to check it, even after pressing EDIT on my credit card profile, it doesn't give me the same options to opt-out of DCC anymore?)

My contract printed out with the standard, "I had the option to be billed in GBP, but I chose to be billed in USD. SIGNATURE ON FILE". Which I promptly told the agent I didn't agree with. She typed something into her computer and said it was fixed.

When I returned to the counter to drop it off, I confirmed I was being billed in GBP and she confirmed it. My receipt is in GBP.

But, on my credit card statement, they billed it in USD. When I called AVIS International Customer Service, they said there was nothing they could do. That my signature on file said I had agreed to the conversion. I told them my profile specifically said not to, and I told the agent picking it up and dropping it off to bill in British Pounds. The phone rep said I would have to opt out of the preferred program in order to avoid the auto conversion; that because I was preferred the contracts are generated automatically that way.

w.t.f?!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by bkafrick

I made sure that my preferences were to NOT be billed in my home currency on my Wizard profile months ago. (though when I go back to try to check it, even after pressing EDIT on my credit card profile, it doesn't give me the same options to opt-out of DCC anymore?)

I just checked my profile and the box was there, but it is not checked.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sosafan
I just checked my profile and the box was there, but it is not checked.
Where?

I log into my Wizard account.
I click on credit card - it shows Type of Card, Card No, and Exp Date.
I click on "edit" and it allows me to modify these values, but nothing else.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.