FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) and Chargebacks
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:26 am
Hannibal Lecter

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Mine is there, but only when press Edit.

It looks like this before I press Edit:
Type of Card: Mastercard
Card Number: ************nnnn
Expiration Date: Month, 20nn
It looks like this after I press Edit:
Please update below and save any changes to ensure your profile has been updated.

Type of Card: [drop box]
Card Number: [editable field]
Expiration Date: [drop boxes]

Note: International travelers using a MasterCard or Visa charge card have the opportunity to be billed in their local currency:

[ ] I choose to have Avis bill all my future rental charges in the currency of my Avis profile credit card.

I understand that if I am renting at a location at which the currency differs from my credit card issuing currency, Avis will convert my rental charges to my card issuing currency. Immediately after I return my rental car, Avis will use the prevailing conversion rate. Any converted amount will be billed to my credit card. The conversion will be conducted by the Avis location. The international currency selection fee is three percent. If you disagree please unselect checkbox.
Cancel | SAVE
In my case, that was checked! (I got billed in local currency the last time I rented internationally, which was in September 2012, so I presume they added this online and made it opt-out after that!)

I just unchecked it, of course!

Thanks a lot for this information, makos and piyush!
Unfortunately that doesn't help, I picked up a car in London and even though
I had made sure to uncheck that box I got a contract which said that I had choosen to pay in local currency