Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2x1 is back!, But now with more miles!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by csdyyz
I've bought miles recently from LifeMiles using a 140% bonus from OMAAT. Everything went fine until I discovered that LifeMiles has done the same transaction twice. After my e-mails they reverted the miles, but have NOT refunded my money. It's been a week and they have stopped responding to my e-mails. I think I'll dispute the transaction through Amex tomorrow. Any advice my friends?
To be fair, LM can be a little slow, but they do know that they’re doing. It took two weeks for them to sort out a major problem with miles on my account (my fault in the first place) but they came through.

Not a bad idea to dispute the transaction anyway, especially if there are any currency conversion issues.
csdyyz likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Just be careful with disputing a CC transaction. I did one 3 years ago through VISA and Lifemiles cancelled (closed) my account without notice.
I opened another one which I still have.

Maybe give it another week.
If you do plan to dispute, make sure you know the time limits imposed by your CC company.
csdyyz likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, Air Canada Aeroplan
Back in May 2018, I've bought miles from LifeMiles using a 140% bonus from OMAAT. Everything went fine until I discovered that LifeMiles has done the same transaction twice. After my e-mails they reverted the miles, but have NOT refunded my money. It's been a week and they have stopped responding to my e-mails.

An update: after 2 weeks of bombarding LifeMiles with e-mails, they finally agreed to refund my money within the next 20-30 business days!
imslippy likes this.

Last edited by csdyyz; Jun 8, 2018 at 4:47 pm Reason: adding details
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:26 pm

Unfortunately I missed out on the 140% bonus offer by a day and was planning on using those miles for a family trip to SYD this summer. Anyone know how often these offers come up?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itravel
Unfortunately I missed out on the 140% bonus offer by a day and was planning on using those miles for a family trip to SYD this summer. Anyone know how often these offers come up?
Every two to three months on average. But it can be longer sometimes. .

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jun 11, 2018 at 12:14 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:05 am

I understand about the buying miles when making a booking - but is there another way to acquire miles on the cheap aside from waiting for promos?

Am needing 18,000 miles (which I will then use to buy additional miles through a booking) - and don't particularly want to pay full freight.

I have spied the "club lifemiles" but this isn't going to deliver what I need in time.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baggyred
I understand about the buying miles when making a booking - but is there another way to acquire miles on the cheap aside from waiting for promos?

Am needing 18,000 miles (which I will then use to buy additional miles through a booking) - and don't particularly want to pay full freight.

I have spied the "club lifemiles" but this isn't going to deliver what I need in time.
Not that I know of. A friend was in a similar position recently, just had to suck it up and buy the base 40% (actually 41 % or something) and then top up from there.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Not that I know of. A friend was in a similar position recently, just had to suck it up and buy the base 40% (actually 41 % or something) and then top up from there.
Bugger

I have used a loophole in the past with IHG - but with avianca's cancellation fees - buying points via a redemption and cancelling isn't worth it

Anyone know if Avianca's cancellation fee applies in the first 24 hours?

Last edited by baggyred; Jul 4, 2018 at 2:13 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Anyone know if Avianca's cancellation fee applies in the first 24 hours?
My own experience says no. You can call in an hour after ticketing (not after booking, since ticketing is not instantaneous), and request for a free cancellation. when they ask where you are calling from, say a city in the USA.
I have used a loophole in the past with IHG - but with avianca's cancellation fees - buying points via a redemption and cancelling isn't worth it
It is not a loop hole, but a feature!
Essentially, you don't need 100% of the miles for a redemption, only 40%. So, if you want to fly first class LAX-ICN, you can ticket it with only 36,000 miles in your account, and pay the rest in cash valuing points at 1.5CPM instead of the required 90,000 miles for the award.
So, your cash co-pay would be around 810 USD to "purchase" the outstanding 60%, i.e. 54,000 miles.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:52 am
Original Poster

I understand about the buying miles when making a booking - but is there another way to acquire miles on the cheap aside from waiting for promos? Am needing 18,000 miles (which I will then use to buy additional miles through a booking) - and don't particularly want to pay full freight.
Points transfers from partners.
SPG points come to mind. full story with Lucky's blog (link)
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Essentially, you don't need 100% of the miles for a redemption, only 40%. So, if you want to fly first class LAX-ICN, you can ticket it with only 36,000 miles in your account, and pay the rest in cash valuing points at 1.5CPM instead of the required 90,000 miles for the award.
So, your cash co-pay would be around 810 USD to "purchase" the outstanding 60%, i.e. 54,000 miles.
Just for completeness, the sweet spot is a little over 40% to get the 1.5c - more like 41/42%.

but I think what was being referred to was buying a smaller award, topping up with points and pay (at 1.5c), then cancelling, and using the newly acquired miles as the base 40-42% of a new award. This might work depending on (a) cancellation fees (if any) and (b) time taken to refund the miles.
baggyred likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:32 pm

My own experience says no. You can call in an hour after ticketing (not after booking, since ticketing is not instantaneous), and request for a free cancellation. when they ask where you are calling from, say a city in the USA.
It is not a loop hole, but a feature!
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Just for completeness, the sweet spot is a little over 40% to get the 1.5c - more like 41/42%.

but I think what was being referred to was buying a smaller award, topping up with points and pay (at 1.5c), then cancelling, and using the newly acquired miles as the base 40-42% of a new award. This might work depending on (a) cancellation fees (if any) and (b) time taken to refund the miles.
Yep - LHR has it right - twas thinking about making a dummy booking ex-USA - ie buying 8000 points and then using those 8000 points to buy a 20000 point award.

Once booked - cancel the booking immediately and get back the booking fee and taxes (maybe a week later - no biggie) and then using the 20000 points as my baseline for a non-USA flight.

I've actually crunched the numbers and it works out anyway - regardless of whether I have to cough up the $25USD booking fee and the $100 USD cancellation
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:31 pm

Points transfers from partners.
SPG points come to mind. full story with Lucky's blog (link)
I think that link goes to another story - but managed (i think) to find what you were suggesting.

So a quick precis is - buy the SPG points (at a current discount) and then transfer to lifemiles 1:1. Pity I missed the 25% bonus in June.

The lifemiles award I want is 40000 points - so the way I see it i have two options.

Buy 20000 SPG points, transfer and get the 5000 bonus - then use that 25000 plus buy 15000 points plus pay

Or buy 17500 points (adding on a few i already have - and buying another 22000 with points plus pay.

I think the first one works out best.

Just checking - Is it possible to transfer SPG in lots of 500?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster

125% bonus promo email just in.

Donīt miss this special promo! Buy one and get two miles + bonus up to 25%
Promotion valid until 14th July
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:52 am

I am having to same problem I had the last time I took advantage of the bonus promo. No matter what CC I use, and no matter what of the 3 browers I try, LifeMiles does not complete the transaction. So frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.