Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by zagy
Redeemed a LH ticket 3 hours ago. PNR created, miles taken from account ...

I can now see the etix numbers on LH.com but not on CheckMyTrip. Is this normal?

also... can't seem to select seats on LH.com. I'm clicking the "select seats" button but nothings happens.
I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable about LH would reply to you here, but I will say that if you have ticket numbers, you're golden. The lack of ability to select seats could be a glitch in LH's system, and issue with the version of browser you are using or even a policy that doesn't give seat selection as an option on award tickets until check in.

If I were in your shoes, I would try another browser and see if the problem persists. With your PNR and ticket number handy, LH has your reservation, so just call them and ask why it isn't working. I'm sure they'll either fix it or explain it.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by zagy
Redeemed a LH ticket 3 hours ago. PNR created, miles taken from account ...

I can now see the etix numbers on LH.com but not on CheckMyTrip. Is this normal?

also... can't seem to select seats on LH.com. I'm clicking the "select seats" button but nothings happens.
This is a known issue. Try selecting seats using the LOT website (or other partner).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Trying to book a SIN/LAX and IAH/SIN in October.. Initial flight page shows up Ok, but when I try to select a flight for SIN/LAX, it gives an error. Actually, all the flights on that date in Oct (5 options) give an error.. Then when I searched again, that date was shown as full.

Then for IAH/SIN.. the flight I wanted gave an error but all other options were fine..

Any ideas whats happening?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by tango3
Trying to book a SIN/LAX and IAH/SIN in October.. Initial flight page shows up Ok, but when I try to select a flight for SIN/LAX, it gives an error. Actually, all the flights on that date in Oct (5 options) give an error.. Then when I searched again, that date was shown as full.

Then for IAH/SIN.. the flight I wanted gave an error but all other options were fine..

Any ideas whats happening?
phanton availability on SQ. Nothing new. There are no award seats to be had, although the first page mistakenly shows that there are. In reality, no seats available to Lifemiles
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
phanton availability on SQ. Nothing new. There are no award seats to be had, although the first page mistakenly shows that there are. In reality, no seats available to Lifemiles
Same will happen if you pick the BR (Eva) flight from/to LAX via TPE to SIN. Phantom availability for LAX-TPE or TPE-LAX on 773ER a/c with the newest Biz cabin. If it is too good to be true then it usually is
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by demue
Same will happen if you pick the BR (Eva) flight from/to LAX via TPE to SIN. Phantom availability for LAX-TPE or TPE-LAX on 773ER a/c with the newest Biz cabin. If it is too good to be true then it usually is
Although BR flights in I on SIN-LAX route do tend to show up more routinely at T-14 - sometimes with the first SIN-TPE sector on SQ ( longer connection time in TPE), sometime all BR metal. And now a days lots of Air China availability T-14 SIN to USA, but Air China Business class experience has not been good for family
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
T-14 is okay if you got the flexibility I agree. I usually need it further out to coordinate travel plans and lock in leave so will have to compromise in what carriers and seat product I can book in Biz well in advance. Air China is a no-go with the Missus.

If the cancellation wasn't such a b*tch one could lock in an alternative itinerary and then get a better option once inventory opens up, but I try to avoid that headache as much as I can.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: TK Elite
These oddities are so weird, did 2 searches, SIN-AKL-SIN-TYO with SQ in J, the AKL-SIN-TYO segments errors out after showing availability. I did the same search replacing AKL with CHC and that one worked all to way to the payment page! So bug or intentional ghost availability? (AKL-SIN works as a single one way and so does SIN-TYO)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
yes i been getting this a lot. when i try to book from tpe-lax it shows but when i try to book it, i keep getting error. but i can see the flight on united website though . do you think calling to book it will help?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by frankpark9
yes i been getting this a lot. when i try to book from tpe-lax it shows but when i try to book it, i keep getting error. but i can see the flight on united website though . do you think calling to book it will help?
Calling in will not help. They see what you see, warts and all
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:49 am

T-14 is okay if you got the flexibility I agree. I usually need it further out to coordinate travel plans and lock in leave so will have to compromise in what carriers and seat product I can book in Biz well in advance. Air China is a no-go with the Missus.

If the cancellation wasn't such a b*tch one could lock in an alternative itinerary and then get a better option once inventory opens up, but I try to avoid that headache as much as I can.
I have found cancellation is not as bad as some other people's experiences.

Why don't you use SQ KF miles as back up to lock in flights first, then if LM opens up T-14, cancel the SQ award flights (easy to do, and minimum cost to cancel and redeposit) that way you can control the process better. But then of course you need SQ KF miles, but since you are SIN based, that should be easy to do ( 4 miles per S$1 spend with some cards, most others give you 1.8 to 1.6 easily per S$1 spend)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by frankpark9
Surprisingly, I managed to book the flights I wanted on the new BR cabin. A couple of emails with the relevant screenshots with the error, they booked it for me, and called me for the payment! Fantastic service, I have to say that LM service has tremendously improved over the past year.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by tango3
Surprisingly, I managed to book the flights I wanted on the new BR cabin. A couple of emails with the relevant screenshots with the error, they booked it for me, and called me for the payment! Fantastic service, I have to say that LM service has tremendously improved over the past year.
Interesting one. Thanks for sharing. Now if they could only fix the website then and it would be golden. The one thing I did though was compare the BR "phantom" availability to ANA tool and it came up blank over there for same days/ routes that LM showed as supposedly available. Strange one. Will keep an eye on it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
I have found cancellation is not as bad as some other people's experiences.

Why don't you use SQ KF miles as back up to lock in flights first, then if LM opens up T-14, cancel the SQ award flights (easy to do, and minimum cost to cancel and redeposit) that way you can control the process better. But then of course you need SQ KF miles, but since you are SIN based, that should be easy to do ( 4 miles per S$1 spend with some cards, most others give you 1.8 to 1.6 easily per S$1 spend)
I'm with you on the SQ KF award backup scenario. It is just turning into a bit of a headache to secure 2 KF Saver award biz seats on SQ for SIN - US (even far out) and then I need to bring in the credit card points with the clock on the 3 years expiration starting to tick. Also I wanted to burn my LM mileage stack first. Let's see. I found some other decent options in C for SE Asia to US that I'll try too. Travel is only planned for Sep/Oct 2015 so still some time before award inventory will be loaded.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Am I the only one seeing less availability than usual today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.