Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Korean Air Seeks to Buy Asiana (Recent News Article)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Link to Korea Times article
Print Wikipost

Korean Air Seeks to Buy Asiana (Recent News Article)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Regardless, I think we may be expending more energy on this than is really warranted, because there's not a huge amount of overlap. As far as I can tell, the merger likely only impacts CDG, FRA, and FCO (LHR is now out of EU jurisdiction, so would be a matter for UK regulators rather than EU). It's not like there are dozens of routes that would be of concern to regulators. For reference, the AC-TS case that ran in to difficulties with the EU earlier this year had over 30 markets that were of concern.
Agreed, the US are more interesting because you would have markets like JFK, SFO, LAX, SEA and HNL, which are all major routes to ICN. To be honest, I am just bracing for the impact at this point, don't think the merger can be stopped. I still think the Korean government is wrong to go for that merger instead of proposing the same merging conditions to HDC instead of the conditions they initially proposed.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Seriously, it's become fairly clear that HDC would've been more than happy to grow through with the conditions offered to KE. I don't understand why this is happening, and a lot of Koreans who care are also in that same mode.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The breach of EU competition law occurs when a prohibited merger is executed. I don't know that pulling out of the market altogether (which hurts EU consumers) cures the breach like you're suggesting it does. I think that pulling out would place them beyond the effective reach of penalties from the EU, but I don't think they could pull out and just wipe the slate clean. Otherwise it would be easy for any foreign anti-competitive merged entities to simply pull out of the EU briefly to avoid the penalties then jump right back in with their newfound market power.
This is not what I meant. I meant genuinely exiting the market for good. I don't think that competition authorities would treat jump out and jump back in as genuinely exiting the market.
If an airline genuinely has no business at all in the EU, then there is simply no infringement of EU competition law at all. Nothing in EU competition law compels an airline to keep providing air services in the EU for eternity.

Regardless, I think we may be expending more energy on this than is really warranted, because there's not a huge amount of overlap.
Agreed and, as far as the EU is concerned, even to the extent that there is overlap, the commitments that could typically be asked for to approve the merger (eg: releasing slots if a potential competitor wants to serve the route concerned) are unlikely to be a major problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:38 pm

Would any of you have a second thought about booking a seat for LAX<-->ICN with miles on OZ for early- to mid-2022, assuming availability is there?

Edit: I think I found the answer to my question. I probably should have searched before asking but I have not really followed this story for more than a year, and there have been some twists and turns.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; May 26, 2021 at 3:59 pm Reason: Added link
Old May 29, 2021, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Would any of you have a second thought about booking a seat for LAX<-->ICN with miles on OZ for early- to mid-2022, assuming availability is there?

Edit: I think I found the answer to my question. I probably should have searched before asking but I have not really followed this story for more than a year, and there have been some twists and turns.
oh yeah NOTHING is gonna change for the consumer for YEARS so I wouldn't worry one bit for a looooooooooooooong time
zippy the pinhead and Gasolin like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:35 pm

Stumbled on this:

More of the same here; I've not really followed the story.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Korean Air?s plan for integrated airline with Asiana to cost W600b

Promotions for holders of OZ mileage sounds promising...
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:59 pm

Does this mean that Asiana will be out of SA very soon?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I don't think quite soon. But I think it will be out in a few years.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.