Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Korean Air Seeks to Buy Asiana (Recent News Article)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Link to Korea Times article
Print Wikipost

Korean Air Seeks to Buy Asiana (Recent News Article)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
They can't. It just wasn't being discussed publicly too much in Western media. This is of no shock to anyone in Korea their situation.....and IMO even if "Stakeholders" object, the government has a VERY strong hand in everything business here and basically the businesses must follow the govt.
The government has played its hand by cutting the cost of OZ and sharing the subsidy structure to KE. By doing that, HDC can now go back and say "give us the same deal and we will take it". It's a deal that is allowing HDC to get a higher % of OZ with 50% less funds, basically. A huge boost.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by downinit
FYI, if you live in the USA, UA is offering the Infinite Card, which provides lounge access, for no fee for the first year. There is no telling how long this promo will last, but it would provide a year of 'select' *G lounge access while building up miles in another program, since OZ could exit *A at any moment. I changed the FF on my current trip from OZ to TK, but it will be hard for me to hit 40k miles until Asia opens up.
IMO, the UA Business Club Card is a better long term deal. It has a lower annual fee (but it has a gee the first year). The chief difference is you earn 1.5 miles per $ spent.

https://www2.theexplorercard.com/business-cards/club
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:21 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is there any news on this front? Has the deal gotten regulators approval? TIA.

LAX
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by LAX
Is there any news on this front? Has the deal gotten regulators approval? TIA.

LAX
Just did a Google News search for Korean Air in English and this popped up Korean Air gets 1st approval for the Asiana Airlines corporate merger review - Korea IT Times

Overall, "Everything" is not gonna "be finalized" for a loooooooong time. I wouldn't expect any change for consumers for at least 3 years.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:51 pm

"Asiana Airlines brand to disappear after Korean Air take-over".

Just discovered this article by journalist Mr David Flynn, which appeared today on Executive Traveller.

Article Link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-air-take-over
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:00 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Yonhap reports in the Korea Times that the merged entity should have synergies of at least the equivalent of USD$250 million+ once fully in place.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tec...74_306401.html

Some of those will no doubt come from the merger of the frequent flyer programs.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:09 am

Hopefully this means I have until 2022 to get *G with another airline. At what point does KE step in and try to entice the OZ members to switch over to Skypass? Surely, they must realize that many of us are looking to stay in *A, so the sooner, the better, if they actually want to gain our patronage? Or perhaps we are just another liability they are keen to shed? ICN is a great gateway to Asia from LAX, but no better than TYO. TPAC flights are out of the question for most of us for now, but so is switching back after I earn 40-50k miles in a different program while flying TATL and around NA this year.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Hopefully this means I have until 2022 to get *G with another airline. At what point does KE step in and try to entice the OZ members to switch over to Skypass? Surely, they must realize that many of us are looking to stay in *A, so the sooner, the better, if they actually want to gain our patronage? Or perhaps we are just another liability they are keen to shed? ICN is a great gateway to Asia from LAX, but no better than TYO. TPAC flights are out of the question for most of us for now, but so is switching back after I earn 40-50k miles in a different program while flying TATL and around NA this year.
I'll just wait for getting KE status and then status match to another *A airline, perhaps TK.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'll just wait for getting KE status and then status match to another *A airline, perhaps TK.
That was my plan initially, but the fine print on the TK status match leaves a lot to be desired. I will just achieve TK status the old fashioned way, which seems to be the preferred method for most people. Of course, once I start earning in TK, it will be a much harder sell to make me consider earning with KE.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:29 pm
LAX

That was my plan initially, but the fine print on the TK status match leaves a lot to be desired. I will just achieve TK status the old fashioned way, which seems to be the preferred method for most people. Of course, once I start earning in TK, it will be a much harder sell to make me consider earning with KE.
What fine print are you referring to? It's not good for a full year?

LAX
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by LAX
What fine print are you referring to? It's not good for a full year?
I cannot say exactly, as my decision was based on reading numerous posts here and in a few other threads over the last 6 months, but there are quite a few hoops that make it less than desirable. The first flight must be on TK metal, the miles earned in the first year do not qualify for renewal, the second year requires 37500 miles (vs the normal renewal at 30k). It just seems a lot easier to hit 40k *A miles in the first year and be done with it, especially since I already have a *G card from OZ that I can use in the meanwhile.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hopefully this means I have until 2022 to get *G with another airline.
Why not just wait for the status matches? You can be sure that some other *A airline will extend a status match offer to Asiana status members once Asiana leaves |*A.

At what point does KE step in and try to entice the OZ members to switch over to Skypass?
You won't need to be "enticed" over. Members of Asiana's programme will automatically find themselves members of whatever new joint/replacement programme may result from the merged airline.

Surely, they must realize that many of us are looking to stay in *A, so the sooner, the better, if they actually want to gain our patronage?
If flyers want to stay with *A, there is nothing KE can (or will) do to try to keep you.

Short of having KE decide to jump ship from Skyteam and instead join Star Alliance - what kind of "enticement" had you in mind that would keep you flying on Asiana/KE flights?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You won't need to be "enticed" over. Members of Asiana's program will automatically find themselves members of whatever new joint/replacement program may result from the merged airline.
Details about exactly how and when we will be able to transfer to the new program would be useful, rather that being stuck in limbo for 2-3 years. Most of us have not been flying much lately, so we will be close to losing our status by the time the merger takes place. Any kind of retention offer (e.g. maintain status in Skypass for xx months after transfer) would be useful. Will we all need to start over at square one? Will we only have a couple months to earn enough miles to retain status? As it is, my status is set to expire at the beginning of '22. If they make the switch a month or two before that, will I still have the same expiration date? What will the qualification requirements be? There are just too many unknowns, and given the poor financial position of KE, along with the fact that they no longer have a domestic competitor, there is no reason to expect that any changes to their program will be for the better. I'm not looking for a bribe, but it would be nice to get some reassurance that we will receive a soft landing and a welcome mat, if I am to stay loyal to a dying program. A retention offer hardly seems to much to ask for, even if the 'offer' is just in the form of information.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Details about exactly how and when we will be able to transfer to the new program would be useful, rather that being stuck in limbo for 2-3 years.
I think you are really over-thinking things.

Asiana Club members will have their accounts automatically ported over to whatever new programme will eventually be used by the joint airline. It is highly unlikely that, as a result of being ported over to the "new" programme, any Asiana Club member will lose status simply as a result of the changeover.

Of course, there will come a date where these members arriving from Asiana Club will lose the ability to earn and redeem points on Star Alliance carriers; some "conversion" of your existing mileage balance will be announced, but it is unrealistic to have full details of all such topics given 2 or 3 years in advance.

Even if, as it seems, you are already pretty sure you will be fleeing to some other Star Alliance programme, it still makes sense to stick where you are until you are in possession of more information. There seems little point in already now deciding to try starting from scratch in some other Star Alliance programme (you likely won't find any Star Alliance programme that will currently match from Asiana, but if you just wait, they probably nearly all will match your status). Of course, any of those status matches to other *A programmes will not give you any credit or recognition of whatever mileage balance you may be leaving behind with Asiana.

This is another reason to just leave things as they are. You will be given advance notice of the terms of the "changeover"; not only will you receive the same/similar status in whatever new programme the new KE will have, but you will also receive some corresponding starting balance, in recognition of your "closing" Asiana Club balance. (Of course, you may be better off spending your Asiana Club miles on a redemption, possibly on *A carriers, prior to losing the ability to spend your existing Asiana miles on *A flights).

Most of us have not been flying much lately, so we will be close to losing our status by the time the merger takes place. Any kind of retention offer (e.g. maintain status in Skypass for xx months after transfer) would be useful. Will we all need to start over at square one? Will we only have a couple months to earn enough miles to retain status? As it is, my status is set to expire at the beginning of '22. If they make the switch a month or two before that, will I still have the same expiration date? What will the qualification requirements be? There are just too many unknowns, and given the poor financial position of KE, along with the fact that they no longer have a domestic competitor, there is no reason to expect that any changes to their program will be for the better. I'm not looking for a bribe, but it would be nice to get some reassurance that we will receive a soft landing and a welcome mat, if I am to stay loyal to a dying program. A retention offer hardly seems to much to ask for.
Many of these issues are more to do with the Covid disruptions and the corresponding inability of flyers to meet (re-)qualification targets.

Of course, those are important considerations too, but that's almost a separate issue. The current Asiana rules - including their evolving status retention extensions etc - will continue to dictate those questions.

It is highly likely that all Covid extensions and waivers will have come to an end by the time Asiana Club comes to an end.

As long as you "play" by current/evolving Asiana Club rules, you will be fine. There simply is no question that an Asiana status member will be at an immediate disadvantage when being "status matched" into KE's new programme. If you have status at the time Asiana Club ends, you can assume that you will have the same or similar status in the new programme. You can also assume you will have some pro-rata recognition of your requalification progress, i.e. you won't merely be matched in status, and find that you have little to no time left in that new programme to accomplish a full 12 or 24 months qualification period's worth of flying to retain that status again.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:10 pm
LAX

I cannot say exactly, as my decision was based on reading numerous posts here and in a few other threads over the last 6 months, but there are quite a few hoops that make it less than desirable. The first flight must be on TK metal, the miles earned in the first year do not qualify for renewal, the second year requires 37500 miles (vs the normal renewal at 30k). It just seems a lot easier to hit 40k *A miles in the first year and be done with it, especially since I already have a *G card from OZ that I can use in the meanwhile.
I am ok with mileage requirement backloaded, but it's not easy for me to get a TK metal flight being based in NA, especially if it must be the first to maintain the match.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.