Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus changes - do they impact earning OZ points or just UA status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus changes - do they impact earning OZ points or just UA status?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,
I've read several blog articles about the upcoming changes to the United FF program. Everything I read seems to be about how the changes will make qualifying for elite status more difficult. But what about earning mileage? Will passengers still earn the same number of miles for flights? (e.g. 50% of distance flown for K class, etc?)
Thanks very much for your insight, Flyertalk experts!
J

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmacleantaylor
Hi there,
I've read several blog articles about the upcoming changes to the United FF program. Everything I read seems to be about how the changes will make qualifying for elite status more difficult. But what about earning mileage? Will passengers still earn the same number of miles for flights? (e.g. 50% of distance flown for K class, etc?)
Thanks very much for your insight, Flyertalk experts!
J
There are no significant changes in 2020 to the earnings of award miles. Note that you have not earned award miles as a fraction of the distance traveled on United-operated flights for quite some time.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi Findark,
Thanks very much for your reply! I realize that I didn't provide all of the info I should have. I actually keep my points with Asiana Airlines, though I frequently fly with United. One segment I recently flew with United was SFO to SIN, a distance of 8,430 miles according to the Webflyer calculator. The United ticket was sold as K class and I earned 4,221 miles (50% should've been 4,215.... but that's pretty close!) I had assumed I was earning based on a percentage of distance. Is that because I'm earning with Asiana? If I were keeping my points with United MileagePlus I would be earning differently?
Thanks for your patience. The web of alliances and earning rates is so complex and I appreciate people sharing their knowledge so much.

https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...alliance-miles
Cheers,
J

Last edited by jmacleantaylor; Oct 31, 2019 at 2:54 pm Reason: adding a link
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had assumed I was earning based on a percentage of distance. Is that because I'm earning with Asiana? If I were keeping my points with United MileagePlus I would be earning differently?
Thanks for your patience. The web of alliances and earning rates is so complex and I appreciate people sharing their knowledge so much.
Yes, that would be because you are accruing your miles with Asiana (OZ). The rules for getting OZ miles are almost entirely up to OZ (not UA) and so UA changing the MP program has no effect on your earning with the OZ program.

If you were accruing to UA MP instead, you would have earned five times the fare paid for that segment as "miles" assuming you had no UA status.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, that would be because you are accruing your miles with Asiana (OZ). The rules for getting OZ miles are almost entirely up to OZ (not UA) and so UA changing the MP program has no effect on your earning with the OZ program.

If you were accruing to UA MP instead, you would have earned five times the fare paid for that segment as "miles" assuming you had no UA status.
Thanks so much for clarifying that, Findark! So essentially, I'll continue to earn miles with OZ as per the info posted on their website regardless of what changes United makes. (If I'm understanding you correctly). That's very helpful.

I do have one more question, if you're up for it! I see that there can be both Economy Standard and Economy Basic fares sold as K class. Regardless of that difference, if the only earning rate for K class with United listed on Asiana's site is 50%, that's what I'd earn for an Economy Basic trip?

Thanks again!
James
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much for clarifying that, Findark! So essentially, I'll continue to earn miles with OZ as per the info posted on their website regardless of what changes United makes. (If I'm understanding you correctly). That's very helpful.
Correct. The only "catch" is secondary -- there is usually a bilateral agreement regarding monetary compensation between the airlines for the mileage credit, so massive changes on one end usually portend changes on the other. In this case, I wouldn't really expect much. And if anything changes, it would be reflected on the Asiana site.

I do have one more question, if you're up for it! I see that there can be both Economy Standard and Economy Basic fares sold as K class. Regardless of that difference, if the only earning rate for K class with United listed on Asiana's site is 50%, that's what I'd earn for an Economy Basic trip?
This is a better question for the Asiana forum perhaps, but I would expect to earn K class regardless of the fare "type". Asiana doesn't have a "Basic Economy" equivalent yet, so they aren't set up to understand the distinction. This is the sort of thing that will eventually change one day.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:20 am

Domestic United BE is sold as N class, which supposedly is in a black hole that may not earn redeemable miles or status, see
United Basic Economy (fare class N) credit to Asiana

TATL United basic economy isnt sold as N (its sold the same way as before - K, T, S, L, W, V and will be reported as such)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-possible.html

Note that Air Canada has basic economy(nonflex)/flex fare under the same fare class and OZ does distinguish them... So it's possible for UA TATL BE to be reclassified/distinguishable/"enhanced" if OZ/UA chooses to do so

Credit AC econ fares to Asiana

Also, AC sells TPAC BE..United doesn't sell TPAC BE (yet???)

Last edited by paperwastage; Nov 1, 2019 at 4:16 am
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
This is a better question for the Asiana forum perhaps, but I would expect to earn K class regardless of the fare "type". Asiana doesn't have a "Basic Economy" equivalent yet, so they aren't set up to understand the distinction. This is the sort of thing that will eventually change one day.
Findark is correct: no matter what United "names" a particular fare, you earn OZ miles by the fare class code. Currently K class with UA earns 50% for OZ. If/when that changes, there will be a change noted on OZ's webpage for earning with Star Alliance partners, under UA.

There are data points that UA basic economy (N code) earns both 50% status and award miles, which contradicts OZ's somewhat...difficultly written wording. Again, as Findark noted: that may change at any time, just like the earning for K coded fares.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
On another note, face class A at UA is not 100% miles but earns 100% with OZ, and it's even a Premium Eco seat so that's interesting!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
On another note, face class A at UA is not 100% miles but earns 100% with OZ, and it's even a Premium Eco seat so that's interesting!
?

Flying UA metal and accuraling to UA is either

1) 5x-11x fare$ for redeemable miles dependable on status
2) bulk ticket earns 100% redeemable for fare class A

And PQM accural to UA is 150% for fare class A
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
The UA status changes have no impact on earning OZ status flying UA, however, since the last chart adjustment, many of UA's other partners/competitors have slashed discount Y earning from 50% to 25% or 0% so that could be the next change we see. Right now UA is basically industry leading in terms of ability to earn miles with partners flying discount Y fares, and we all know UA doesn't like to be industry leading in anything.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:44 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Did not want to start a new thread as my question is related. After the recent UA MP changes, I am planning on posting miles to OZ in 2020 so that I am *G in 2021 and on. Signed up and changed details on all 2020 bookings. I am only looking for lounge access when flying domestic in the US. That is my primary motivation. I am not looking for any other perks.

Currently have a UC membership, but plan to cancel it after I make *G on OZ. UA won't give lounge access without membership when flying domestic.

So, my question is, has anyone shifted their *G run from UA to OZ? Did it work? Any regrets?

Wondering if it will work for me. Will I be missing anything? Are the OZ miles of much use to book across *A or will it be a pain?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by planes&trains
Did not want to start a new thread as my question is related. After the recent UA MP changes, I am planning on posting miles to OZ in 2020 so that I am *G in 2021 and on. Signed up and changed details on all 2020 bookings. I am only looking for lounge access when flying domestic in the US. That is my primary motivation. I am not looking for any other perks.

Currently have a UC membership, but plan to cancel it after I make *G on OZ. UA won't give lounge access without membership when flying domestic.

So, my question is, has anyone shifted their *G run from UA to OZ? Did it work? Any regrets?

Wondering if it will work for me. Will I be missing anything? Are the OZ miles of much use to book across *A or will it be a pain?
I did in 2015 when UA went to revenue based RDMs. Premium fares on OZ don't earn that much, and to book an award ticket, you have to call their US call center open only during normal business hours in LA (and they close for lunch too). Redemption rates are attractive, but miles aren't easy to come by besides flying. Also, domestic tickets can only have 1 segment, int'l can have 3 but they enforce MPM and charge YQ. And you can only book for yourself or family and you have to send them proof that you are family for them to allow you to book for family.

But yes, qualifying for *G is easy and you get UA Club access any time you fly UA on departure.

I switched because I wouldn't have made the requirements for UA*G under the PQD system as most of my flying is discount Y TPAC....some of which I shifted from UA/NH to OZ after switching FF programs....I quite like them although they aren't as good as they once were, they're still miles ahead of UA in all cabins.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:16 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I did in 2015 when UA went to revenue based RDMs.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. Looks like my second thoughts were not needed. I will stick to the plan. I have never flown them. Maybe will try ICN one of these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.