Credit AC econ fares to Asiana

Old Jul 17, 19, 9:17 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 23
Credit AC econ fares to Asiana

Hi All,
I booked AC K International basic economy fare a few months ago and I'm flying in a week. I've been crediting AC's K (basic economy) to OZ and getting 50%.

It seems as per OZ chart from 15 July 2019, AC's K earns three ways?! Are they becoming like Aeroplan shxtty accrual ratios?

OZ chart now says M, U, H, Q, V, W, G,
S, T, L, A, K
Normal: 100% (+ Y & B)
Discount: 50%
Special: 25%

The categories are as confusing as AC econ fares (basic, standard, flex can all share the same fare class). This is especially confusing when you book through third party.

I'd appreciate it if fellow FTers could kindly share their crediting info of AC to OZ post 15 July.

Thanks!!
hkgyyzcdg is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BOS, YYZ, HKG, TPE
Programs: OZ Diamond|DL Gold|Hilton Honors Diamond|Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 259
Seems like they are going the way of the Branded Fares...

Doesn't really matter though, even if you bought an M standard economy fare, AC would send the booking code as 'T' or equivalent to OZ for mileage purposes

Edit: just realized the 'special' fares only get 25% miles now?? I hope special=basic
DreamHigh is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 3:10 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by hkgyyzcdg View Post
Hi All,
I booked AC K International basic economy fare a few months ago and I'm flying in a week. I've been crediting AC's K (basic economy) to OZ and getting 50%.

It seems as per OZ chart from 15 July 2019, AC's K earns three ways?! Are they becoming like Aeroplan shxtty accrual ratios?

OZ chart now says M, U, H, Q, V, W, G,
S, T, L, A, K
Normal: 100% (+ Y & B)
Discount: 50%
Special: 25%

The categories are as confusing as AC econ fares (basic, standard, flex can all share the same fare class). This is especially confusing when you book through third party.

I'd appreciate it if fellow FTers could kindly share their crediting info of AC to OZ post 15 July.

Thanks!!
OP, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm also wondering how this will affect me. How am I suppose to know if I'm getting 50% or 25%? Sucks that 25% is now for K fares. Sometimes AC have really cheap fares to Asia. I guess I might have to fly UA now?
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 3:12 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by DreamHigh View Post
Seems like they are going the way of the Branded Fares...

Doesn't really matter though, even if you bought an M standard economy fare, AC would send the booking code as 'T' or equivalent to OZ for mileage purposes

Edit: just realized the 'special' fares only get 25% miles now?? I hope special=basic
AC have introduced basic for a lot of international flights including to Asia. The fare is still listed as K. So does that mean 25%? If so, then I guess I should fly CA since the fare is usually cheaper and it'll get 25% anyways.
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:01 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
AC have introduced basic for a lot of international flights including to Asia. The fare is still listed as K. So does that mean 25%? If so, then I guess I should fly CA since the fare is usually cheaper and it'll get 25% anyways.
I assume basic is 25% and standard is 50%. Basic has yet to spread to PVG/PEK although it seems to have spread to all other routes in Asia so I assume it's only a matter of time although I started a thread in the AC form talking about how horribly uncompetitive they are at 25% miles with no free seat selection or changes for a fee compared to their Asian competition.
1353513636 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:14 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
OP, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm also wondering how this will affect me. How am I suppose to know if I'm getting 50% or 25%? Sucks that 25% is now for K fares. Sometimes AC have really cheap fares to Asia. I guess I might have to fly UA now?
We're on the same boat. That's the thing, I'm just guessing very likely basic K, standard K & flex K will earn 25%, 50% and 100% respectively.
Some third party sites don't even show if they are basic, standard or flex. I can only tell when it's basic cuz it has no baggage included.
I'm planning to book UA more too if that's the case although I really don't wanna fly UA :P.
hkgyyzcdg is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:31 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by hkgyyzcdg View Post
We're on the same boat. That's the thing, I'm just guessing very likely basic K, standard K & flex K will earn 25%, 50% and 100% respectively.
Some third party sites don't even show if they are basic, standard or flex. I can only tell when it's basic cuz it has no baggage included.
I'm planning to book UA more too if that's the case although I really don't wanna fly UA :P.
So far all of my AC K flights have given me 50%, but they were all done before July 15th. I have one more booked next month, but I don't remember if it's basic or not. I didn't care if it was basic or not at the time of booking because I wasn't accruing AP miles. How can I check?

One other thing that I've noticed is that domestic AC K fare will start accruing miles on OZ?

Where will you be flying next week? I guess we'll find out soon. How do you book AC flights on third party sites? Don't they all lead to AC's website? Doesn't basic still include luggage on trans-pacific flights?

The problem with UA is that there are no direct international flights. Occasionally I see a good fare going to SIN/PEK via SFO.
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
I assume basic is 25% and standard is 50%. Basic has yet to spread to PVG/PEK although it seems to have spread to all other routes in Asia so I assume it's only a matter of time although I started a thread in the AC form talking about how horribly uncompetitive they are at 25% miles with no free seat selection or changes for a fee compared to their Asian competition.
Unfortunately basic have spread to HKG and I think even NRT. Not sure about TPE, but it would sucks if it did. At the prices that AC is charging for BE, if it's 25%, then I'll just fly CA even if I have to change flights in PEK. The price difference is substantial. I've flown CA to HKG via PEK for $550. The lowest fare I've seen for AC going to HKG is about $780, but I got 50% so I could put up with it. At 25%, it's a massive ripoff unless one values the direct flight.
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:04 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
So far all of my AC K flights have given me 50%, but they were all done before July 15th. I have one more booked next month, but I don't remember if it's basic or not. I didn't care if it was basic or not at the time of booking because I wasn't accruing AP miles. How can I check?

One other thing that I've noticed is that domestic AC K fare will start accruing miles on OZ?

Where will you be flying next week? I guess we'll find out soon. How do you book AC flights on third party sites? Don't they all lead to AC's website? Doesn't basic still include luggage on trans-pacific flights?

The problem with UA is that there are no direct international flights. Occasionally I see a good fare going to SIN/PEK via SFO.
You can check by entering your booking reference in My Bookings on AC's site.

AC domestic K accrues 50% only if it's OZ's "Normal". AC domestic K that is OZ's "Discount" earns 0%. Again... what's Normal? what's Discount? AC names them basic, standard, flex, comfort, latitude.

I'm flying to Paris next week so I'll report here. Sometimes I use search engines and they direct me to third party sites. Basic Asia comes with bags. I usually fly Basic to Europe and it doesn't come with bags.
hkgyyzcdg is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by hkgyyzcdg View Post
You can check by entering your booking reference in My Bookings on AC's site.

AC domestic K accrues 50% only if it's OZ's "Normal". AC domestic K that is OZ's "Discount" earns 0%. Again... what's Normal? what's Discount? AC names them basic, standard, flex, comfort, latitude.

I'm flying to Paris next week so I'll report here. Sometimes I use search engines and they direct me to third party sites. Basic Asia comes with bags. I usually fly Basic to Europe and it doesn't come with bags.
Was that always the case? I think prior to July 15th, it was pretty hard finding an economy fare class that would get me miles on OZ. Whether it was K or L, I think it was 0.

This is starting to remind me of WS and DL. Very hard to figure out.

It takes a few days for things to be posted. I think the fastest that I've seen is about 3 days.
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 2:10 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 40
Does anyone know which fare on the Air Canada website corresponds to Normal, Discount and Special bins on the Asiana mileage chart?
LMYRMQ622003250 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 2:15 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 40
For Air Canada flights operated by Air Canada Rouge, are those flights eligible for mileage credits with Asiana Club?
LMYRMQ622003250 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250 View Post
For Air Canada flights operated by Air Canada Rouge, are those flights eligible for mileage credits with Asiana Club?
yes
1353513636 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 19, 11:17 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 515
I used to get 50% or the minimum miles on AC, now I wonder what will happen... and they say some domestic flight will accrue miles? I just did a YQB /> YYZ on 7/18, hope to see the miles then hahaha.

Mea Culpa, I think I flew Westjet for this leg... anyway, we will see.
Gasolin is offline  
Old Jul 21, 19, 1:52 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
I used to get 50% or the minimum miles on AC, now I wonder what will happen... and they say some domestic flight will accrue miles? I just did a YQB /> YYZ on 7/18, hope to see the miles then hahaha.

Mea Culpa, I think I flew Westjet for this leg... anyway, we will see.
You don't remember which airline you flew on that route? It was only 3 days ago...
lsquare is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: