Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold

I have a booking on flights 601/602 to and from SYD in May. When I booked a few weeks ago, the flights were marked as operated by an A333, and the seat map was in a 2-2-2 arrangement.

I just checked, and now it says that the flights are operated by a 77L. The seat map for both flights looks like the one I've attached, but OZ does not have them marked as Smartium. On top of that, none of the 777 seat maps look exactly like this one.

Should I be hopeful that we might get lucky, barring any last minute swap?

Last edited by MrDplus; Dec 7, 2016 at 6:04 am
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:47 am

I saw a Smartium seat map on flight from ORD - ICN in december. Is this a permanent change?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
I saw a Smartium seat map on flight from ORD - ICN in december. Is this a permanent change?
Yes. In fact, all non-smartium 777s are either in conversion (remove F, upgrade C to smartium) or in retiring. As long as the equipment doesn't change (for instance, 777 to 747), it won't happen. In fact, newest 350 may come to ORD by that time.

http://flyasiana.com/CW/ko/common/pa...pageId=PC_0696

Although only Korean webpage has been updated, it states that from May 8th, both CDG and FCO routes will be operated by smartium fleet. ORD is from Mar 10th.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Yes. In fact, all non-smartium 777s are either in conversion (remove F, upgrade C to smartium) or in retiring. As long as the equipment doesn't change (for instance, 777 to 747), it won't happen. In fact, newest 350 may come to ORD by that time.

Although only Korean webpage has been updated, it states that from May 8th, both CDG and FCO routes will be operated by smartium fleet. ORD is from Mar 10th.
Great! I might just fly Asiana this year then. The only thing that would hold me back is their food choices...... I prefer ANA food, Japanese, over Korean food.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL

Can't believe that 6 years on, they still haven't completed the refurb!

I remember flying an unrefurbished 772 without AVOD on SYD-ICN back in 2013, thinking that these old seats are well into their sunset years. Boy was I wrong
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Can't believe that 6 years on, they still haven't completed the refurb!
Asiana has rarely been transparent with their plan. Currently one 777 fleet is reportedly in conversion in Taiwan... I'm just praying it doesn't turn out to be 10-abreast.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:24 pm

Asiana has rarely been transparent with their plan. Currently one 777 fleet is reportedly in conversion in Taiwan... I'm just praying it doesn't turn out to be 10-abreast.
I highly doubt they'll ever complete the conversion...at least until the A350s start showing up (at which point the 777s should start disappearing)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond

Do you happen to know anything about the CDG Smartium situation? As when I look for flights on the website it shows CDG-ICN is still not Smartium, but this should have been changed this past May.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
Do you happen to know anything about the CDG Smartium situation? As when I look for flights on the website it shows CDG-ICN is still not Smartium, but this should have been changed this past May.
When are you flying? CDG is officially a Smartium route but as long as those 2 non-smartium still flies, there's always a risk. Even two days ago, one of these flew to CDG.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
When are you flying? CDG is officially a Smartium route but as long as those 2 non-smartium still flies, there's always a risk. Even two days ago, one of these flew to CDG.
Yeah I had seen that as well. Odd that it is officially a Smartium route as when buying a ticket there is a small icon that appears next to Smartium flights, and this doesn't appear for the CDG flights. But I can imagine this may not have been updated. And the plan is to fly in the spring of next year.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
Yeah I had seen that as well. Odd that it is officially a Smartium route as when buying a ticket there is a small icon that appears next to Smartium flights, and this doesn't appear for the CDG flights. But I can imagine this may not have been updated. And the plan is to fly in the spring of next year.
Those non-Smartium 772s will surely be retired by then, but 747, another non-Smartium, appears on long hauls at times. Odds are very low, though.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Those non-Smartium 772s will surely be retired by then, but 747, another non-Smartium, appears on long hauls at times. Odds are very low, though.
Hey bobbybrown, what are your thoughts about the HNL (currently scheduled 77L) and SYD (currently scheduled 380) flights in March? You sound confident that the 777 fleet will be standardized by then?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Hey bobbybrown, what are your thoughts about the HNL (currently scheduled 77L) and SYD (currently scheduled 380) flights in March? You sound confident that the 777 fleet will be standardized by then?
777 will be standardized soon and winter schedule is confirmed, so you'll be fine. Since HNL and SYD is within 330 range, OZ may seasonally swap the fleet but that may happen only April 2018 or later.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
SYD-ICN will revert back to 772 with Smartium at the latest by the start of April. I have a trip in Dec-Jan is A380, while my trip in the first week of April is a Smartium-equipped 772

I was hoping they'd fly the a350 on the ICN-SYD route, but that's just wishful thinking on my part :P
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sol95
SYD-ICN will revert back to 772 with Smartium at the latest by the start of April. I have a trip in Dec-Jan is A380, while my trip in the first week of April is a Smartium-equipped 772

I was hoping they'd fly the a350 on the ICN-SYD route, but that's just wishful thinking on my part :P
350 on the route would be nice

I've read that they have previously taken the 380 off ICN-SYD earlier (end of Feb) than scheduled. Really hope it sticks around through early March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.