Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali-Expediting Immigration & Customs Processing?

Bali-Expediting Immigration & Customs Processing?

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
This expediting of the arrival processing only started after VOA was introduced, resulting in much longer lines.

The paid VOA has been relaxed - so many countries that visit Indonesia no longer need to pay for a VOA but just get a 30 day non negotiable visa on arrival.

Hence the lines do not exist

Its not really necessary anymore, I used to use this service and it was great but not really worth the $$ anymore
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Any recent experiences? I'm wondering if I need to book this service for my next trip to Bali. First timer, no idea what to expect. Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by adampenrith
This expediting of the arrival processing only started after VOA was introduced, resulting in much longer lines.

The paid VOA has been relaxed - so many countries that visit Indonesia no longer need to pay for a VOA but just get a 30 day non negotiable visa on arrival.

Hence the lines do not exist

Its not really necessary anymore, I used to use this service and it was great but not really worth the $$ anymore
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jbeans
Any recent experiences? I'm wondering if I need to book this service for my next trip to Bali. First timer, no idea what to expect. Thanks in advance!
US Citizens get a free 30 day VOA. Unless you need longer than this the lines usually aren't worth trying this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:42 am

I have been told that this service is still available but I would wait until you arrive.

If the airport is busy - the Imigrasi will slow down - to promote this service - so jump out of line approach a wandering officer and ask for an expedited service, tip them well - they might suggest a price and away you go.

I understand they pool all the tips, hence the slow down of working pace.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:16 am

If you can, I would highly recommend the APEC business travel card. Depending on your sponsoring country, it can be relatively easy to get... or very difficult....
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by adampenrith
I have been told that this service is still available but I would wait until you arrive.

If the airport is busy - the Imigrasi will slow down - to promote this service - so jump out of line approach a wandering officer and ask for an expedited service, tip them well - they might suggest a price and away you go.

I understand they pool all the tips, hence the slow down of working pace.
It's illegal to bribe a government official.

Sure, people might get away with it, but there have been a lot of government crackdowns.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:18 pm

Yeah it might illegal, BUT it is how the system works in Indonesia.

I was in a taxi cab one day and as per usual was chatting to the driver, as always they are asking about you, I said I worked in law enforcement, the driver said his son wanted to be a Police Officer BUT there was no way that he could afford to pay for his son to be accepted in the Police Force.

So I asked the question - how much does it cost to get in.

The official entry is pass the entry requirements - same as any job anywhere in the world.

Unofficially the bribe to get a job was 5 x the taxi drivers annual income.

So what tends to happen is families will take a loan to get the money, most likely from a Islamic source (bank or private lenders) and then pay interest on it.

So once the young man gets in, and starts to work - he needs to pay back this loan. So the only way he can afford to do this is to find a way to make some extra income.

So where does this extra income come from - Bribes.

I would love to see a bribe free world, but its not likely to happen, when it is in the culture.

I am not saying it is the right way to live or to do business, I am saying this is how it is, and this is why it exists.

Up to you if you want to stand in a long line up at Imigrasi - maybe waste an hour or two of your holiday - or if you want to expedite your arrival processing and help a family pay off their loans.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Was in Bali a few months ago. Easy process to get through Immigration. Only issue is the time wait. Not a big deal for me in the scheme of my 2 week holiday. I thought I read that the VIP or fast pass type of thing through Immigration was cancelled due to potential for bribs.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
***Off Topic rant deleted***
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:09 am

Offically its not happening.

There used to be companies like VIPBALI that provided this service, you could book it online and they would be waiting at the entrance to the arrivals hall with your name on a board - and they would look after you

from what I can gather and this information is all anecdotal is that the Imigrasi are now running this program (scam) so when its busy it appears that some of the officers stop working their booths - and start patrolling the lines - and when someone says something about the line ups - the expedited service is available for a price

it seems to be more prevelant in the evening bank of arrivals - say from 2100 - when many flights arrive prior to the evening bank of departures from 2200 - 2400.

I am arriving early afternoon in early November- will update with what I discover
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Used VIP service

Booked via:

Paramita Sari
Customer Service
[e] [email protected]
[p] +62 (361) 755136

Met them at desk just before VOA. Taken to fast track lane for passport. Then though customs to lounge where waited for bags

Booked expecting the worse but there was no wait for anyone this was arrival around 1700

Would recommend if arriving at busy time
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
..happy to report a smooth, unassisted arrival

Originally Posted by gav0106
Booked expecting the worse but there was no wait for anyone this was arrival around 1700

Would recommend if arriving at busy time

My first ever international arrival at DPS, and this thread had got me nervous about getting to the hotel before my bedtime

Got in just before 18:00 from Kuala Lumpur. Bus transfer and last off bus, QR passengers were already ahead of us, yet I was through immigration in no time. Seems silly to have to say it, but don't follow the crowd, head for the empty lines !!

There was a ten-minute wait for bags, filled by trying to use Bluebird's new "Uber-style" app (forget it !! pretty but useless, at least at DPS).

I'd never be tempted by a meet and greet service (though for those requiring visas, there might be an advantage), but it's reassuring to see it as redundant.
Jaimito Cartero and jbeans like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Bumping this thread. Interested in any updated opinions on this. We are arriving 8/25 - Saturday at 15:15 pm and wonder what immigration is likely to be and whether considering some sort of expedited service is worth worrying about. We are flying business and will have a driver from the hotel in Ubud to meet us, but know from past travel that standing in some very long line after a 3 plane,flight 2 connection over many hours, and then another hour of driving is not something I am eager to do. Grateful for any advice!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I think it's a "good bump".... we are returning in October, and from what I'm hearing from people on the ground there, the airport has returned to its old ways, especially around the crucial 3 pm time when so many planes land all at once. I am hearing of big lines for immigration, and then even longer waits for baggage. It is a shame that Bali cannot get their airport working like 99% of the airports in the world today.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by goldengate
I think it's a "good bump".... we are returning in October, and from what I'm hearing from people on the ground there, the airport has returned to its old ways, especially around the crucial 3 pm time when so many planes land all at once. I am hearing of big lines for immigration, and then even longer waits for baggage. It is a shame that Bali cannot get their airport working like 99% of the airports in the world today.
Yikes. Worse than I feared. For some reason I thought 3 pm on a Saturday might be a "slow" time .

So back to the original question, what about expediting services?? Do any good ones exist? I found Royal Airport Concierge Service on the web, but they look expensive and no idea anything about them. Would really appreciate any recommendations for one or any experience with using any way of getting through immigration less painfully! I am not interested in bribing airport/immigration workers, but am talking about legitimate services.

Last edited by mstraveler; Jul 25, 2018 at 9:03 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.