Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/new...uMszE3Kgaykv4U

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday (March 18) announced that as confirmed cases of Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) continue to stream in, all foreign visitors will be barred from entering the country effective Thursday (March 19).

During a press conference held on Wednesday morning, Health Minister and CECC head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) announced that starting Thursday, all passengers arriving in Taiwan must undergo a 14-day quarantine.

Taiwan's Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) then announced that all foreign nationals will be barred from entering Taiwan, with the exception of persons holding an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC, 居留證), diplomatic officials, and businesspeople with special entry permits, also effective on Thursday.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
There are passengers that are only transiting through Taiwan on their way to another country as their final destination?
This scenario is not mentioned in the article.
Does anyone know if this ban also applies to transit passengers?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Note that it is technically "foreign nationals" that are not allowed, with the exception of ARC holders.

Originally Posted by hxhbk
There are passengers that are only transiting through Taiwan on their way to another country as their final destination?
There was a post in BR forum suggesting transit is still allowed, from the thread Effective 00:00 19 Mar - No Foreign Passport Holders Allowed into Taiwan (ARC OK):

Originally Posted by LittleBird
Just received email from Chicago office and as of 1530 CDT on 18 March transit is NOT affected, the email did state that "everyday the rule is changing so please see the website etc"

Last edited by gengar; Mar 19, 2020 at 9:43 am
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Friend just picked up daughter who flew BR LAX TPE HKG
​​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hxhbk
Please note transit through Taiwan will now be banned 24 March - 7 April: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21908W

Taiwan further tightened travel controls on Sunday to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, suspending the transit of airline passengers through Taiwan from March 24 until April 7...
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:11 am
Suspended

There might be flight disruptions, but I think it's great that they are closed for all foreign visitors, at least it will reduce the spreading of the virus.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pepperlater
There might be flight disruptions, but I think it's great that they are closed for all foreign visitors, at least it will reduce the spreading of the virus.
Yeah, feelin' pretty good about living in Taiwan right now. Seems like the best place to be. At least, for now.

I saw an article in the local news about an American exchange student whose home university in California abruptly canceled the exchange program, and instructed the students to return to CA immediately. She went to the Taiwan immigration office to beg them to find a way to get her a new visa so she could stay in Taiwan. She felt a lot safer here than she'd be in CA. But unfortunately, they couldn't help her at the time. The day after she flew home, however, the govt announced a program that would give automatic visa extensions to foreigners already in Taiwan. But it was too late for her.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pepperlater
According to CECC data, 95%+ of the recent surge in imported cases have been Taiwanese nationals returning from overseas - and that figure does not include foreign nationals who are essentially residents, e.g., ARC holders or those working in Taiwan (which does represent some of the remaining cases, again according to CECC data).

Given the facts, it's very difficult to believe a foreign national ban will have any impact at this point, especially as imported transmission begins to turn into local transmission - all the while a substantial portion of the recent surge of cases were from tour groups that visited known heavily-infected regions, which just boggles the mind. Taiwan has done incredibly well (so far) at containing the spread and I'm very happy about that, but it appears also down to a great deal of luck given questionable priorities.
ProleOnParole likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 25, 2020 at 6:33 pm
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Given the facts, it's very difficult to believe a foreign national ban will have any impact at this point
This. I'm quite surprised they're going at it this way as Taiwan's response to the virus seems very pragmatic and targeted otherwise, and arguably it's been working well so far without any of the broad-stroke measures being implemented elsewhere.

In other news, Computex was postponed too, until the last week of September (source): that's Taiwan's largest trade show.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Any info if the ban on transit passengers, supposed to end on April 7th, will be extended or not?

The airlines have created their own dates, I just saw. China Airlines' ban on transit passengers extends to April 30.

Last edited by Freebird; Apr 4, 2020 at 10:04 am
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Freebird
Any info if the ban on transit passengers, supposed to end on April 7th, will be extended or not?

The airlines have created their own dates, I just saw. China Airlines' ban on transit passengers extends to April 30.
It was already extended to 30 April three days ago by CECC; it was not up to the airlines. https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...bgg?typeid=158
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Any predictions on how viable a trip ex-US would be in September?

I do agree they have handled this very well.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Update re. transit at Taiwanese airports: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202004230013

"The CECC said its ban on the entry of airline transit passengers, which was imposed March 24 to April 7 [30, actually], will also be extended indefinitely."
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:14 am

This sucks. Kills so many flight options that transited in Taiwan. Outright ban hurts, could have at least just set maximum flights per week for airlines so at least some traffic could reach Taiwan.

Last edited by givionte; Apr 27, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Freebird
Update re. transit at Taiwanese airports: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202004230013

"The CECC said its ban on the entry of airline transit passengers, which was imposed March 24 to April 7 [30, actually], will also be extended indefinitely."
I wonder what the end point will be.
At this point, there're hardly any new cases of Coronavirus in Taipei. They are being extremely careful.

I've got YVR-TPE-KIX in late July. What conditions would satisfy Taiwan enough to have lifted bans on certain countries by that point?
I just don't think new incidences of Coronavirus will be eliminated in either Canada or Jpn this summer.
Do you guys think my flight's more likely not happening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.