Reload this Page >

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:21 am

Will Taiwan ever reopen? Where does this lead to?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I wonder what the end point will be.
At this point, there're hardly any new cases of Coronavirus in Taipei. They are being extremely careful.

I've got YVR-TPE-KIX in late July. What conditions would satisfy Taiwan enough to have lifted bans on certain countries by that point?
I just don't think new incidences of Coronavirus will be eliminated in either Canada or Jpn this summer.
Do you guys think my flight's more likely not happening?
Yeah, I'm booked for KHH-NRT-SEA in late June. Not planning on going at this point, but I'm still waiting for them (JL) to officially cancel the flight so I can request a refund. Rescheduling the trip is not an option for me. Currently, they only have their modified schedule posted through May 31st.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I really, really, REALLY want to go back to Taiwan later this year. I'm hoping things stabilize so I can go in the fall or in December - but the way things in the US are going, I wouldn't blame Taiwan for banning entry to Americans for a good long time. Sigh.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by givionte
This sucks. Kills so many flight options that transited in Taiwan. Outright ban hurts, could have at least just set maximum flights per week for airlines so at least some traffic could reach Taiwan.
It also tends to kill the airlines based in Taiwan. No one can use them for international travel unless Taipei is the origin or destination: no connections, and for most people, no stopovers in Taiwan either.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It also tends to kill the airlines based in Taiwan. No one can use them for international travel unless Taipei is the origin or destination: no connections, and for most people, no stopovers in Taiwan either.
I think the government said they will back the airlines. So they will not go under, period.
BR was very good at refunding and very quick, much better than probably any other airline in the world. They actually proactively offered a refund. And after I applied it took a week, just like they said (maybe sooner) for it to hit my credit card.

So I'm not quite sure "kill" is the right word.

If you look at the frequency of their flights though it is crazy. I'm still seeing 3x flights daily from TPE to LAX (BR, CI has one flight that random day I picked).
Old May 5, 2020, 11:10 am

As we discovered on another thread here, flights carrying cargo-only seem to be operating with passenger-flight designations, so it looks like there's a lot more passenger service out there than there really is.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by 889
As we discovered on another thread here, flights carrying cargo-only seem to be operating with passenger-flight designations, so it looks like there's a lot more passenger service out there than there really is.
Really? Choose a date, like Jun 9. They are selling seats on 3 flights. TPE LAX
Old May 5, 2020, 3:00 pm

We're not talking about the situation a month out. We're talking about today.

Look at all the flights HKG-TPE that show on the HKIA official website for departures/arrivals today, May 6: there are ten passenger flights arriving HKIA. Can you book all of those right now?
Old May 5, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 889
We're not talking about the situation a month out. We're talking about today.

Look at all the flights HKG-TPE that show on the HKIA official website for departures/arrivals today, May 6: there are ten passenger flights arriving HKIA. Can you book all of those right now?
I'm not looking at flights showing up on some board on an airport's website. I'm talking about looking at ITA Matrix or tickets on an airline's website. They seem to have a lot of flights when everybody else has cut them.
Now maybe it'll change later this month, when it is closer to June, and they will cut them. But CX and SQ are flying 3 times a week, and BR supposedly will go to 3x daily in June.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:03 pm

Well, if you're interested in the actual first-hand on-the-ground situation today, then "some board on an airport's website" showing the arrival gate and assigned luggage carousel is about as good as you'll get. As to weeks from now, everything is hypothetical.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:14 am

Taiwan keeps its borders shut despite virus success

Mr Chen [Shih-chung, the health minister] said that [...] the barrier for Taiwan’s return to normality would be particularly high. “It is hard to imagine,” he said in response to a question whether a return to normal cross-border travel was possible this year.

The possibility of reopening Taiwan to foreign travellers depended on when a safe vaccine or drug for treatment of the disease becomes available, said Mr Chen.

https://www.ft.com/content/0705d2eb-...e-1aef5685eb58
Old May 6, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Taiwan keeps its borders shut despite virus success

Mr Chen [Shih-chung, the health minister] said that [...] the barrier for Taiwan’s return to normality would be particularly high. “It is hard to imagine,” he said in response to a question whether a return to normal cross-border travel was possible this year.

The possibility of reopening Taiwan to foreign travellers depended on when a safe vaccine or drug for treatment of the disease becomes available, said Mr Chen.

https://www.ft.com/content/0705d2eb-...e-1aef5685eb58
A better headline might read: "Taiwan keeps its borders shut--because it's working"
Old May 13, 2020, 2:09 am

EVA's web site and United MileagePlus is still selling tickets for flights from Singapore via Taipei to the U.S in June. Will transit be possible in June? I want to know if I can book these flights or not.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by treepuppy
EVA's web site and United MileagePlus is still selling tickets for flights from Singapore via Taipei to the U.S in June. Will transit be possible in June? I want to know if I can book these flights or not.
Impossible to say right now. The general consensus here is that Taiwan will remain closed to visitors until a vaccine is available. Whether they open up for transit passengers before that is anyone's guess.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by treepuppy
Will transit be possible in June? I want to know if I can book these flights or not.
I think it's unlikely. They'll reconsider the restrictions when they have to decide what to do with Computex, which was rescheduled to the end of September. Mid-June is too early for that so I wouldn't expect any change in the current policy by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.