Reload this Page >

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by chipmaster
... people go to work ( ALL WITH MASKs), unlike the twisted thinking in many countries somehow mask curtail freedom...
Just to note that Taiwan actually did not start its mask mandate until December 1st.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, but a fairly high percentage of the population have been wearing masks for several decades...
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes, but a fairly high percentage of the population have been wearing masks for several decades...
When they're on scooters maybe.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
Just to note that Taiwan actually did not start its mask mandate until December 1st.
Not exactly true. They expanded the mask mandate on Dec 1st, making it mandatory in more places. But there have been mask mandates for many venues since the beginning of the pandemic. And, as mentioned above, even where not mandated, people have been pretty religious about mask wearing in public since COVID started.
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Not exactly true. They expanded the mask mandate on Dec 1st, making it mandatory in more places. But there have been mask mandates for many venues since the beginning of the pandemic. And, as mentioned above, even where not mandated, people have been pretty religious about mask wearing in public since COVID started.
My statement was 100% true as I was referencing Taiwan and that was the context of the post I responded to as well. The Dec 1st mandate was a national mandate and was not an "expansion" of a national mandate; any existing mandates were made at the city level by city governments, not the national government (specifically, the mask mandates existing immediately prior to Dec 1 were in Taipei/New Taipei, Taichung, and Tainan - and those were only enacted in ~August 2020 anyway). The only prior national use of the CDCA (Communicable Disease Control Act) that I'm aware of was to require masks on public transport (including TRA, THSR, buses, various MRTs) beginning ~April 2020, but this was ended ~June 2020. (Don't quote me on the dates precisely, just off memory).

Let's not forget that the current CECC mask mandate doesn't even apply to restaurants, so the rules are much more lax than other countries (and I mean... why shouldn't they be).

Last edited by gengar; Mar 6, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
This does not match the reality at all as anyone who has ever been to Taiwan knows. I spent almost half of 2019 in Taiwan and mask wearing was rare. One of the cultural shocks for me was that usually the only people who wore masks were people who were sick which is in itself something entirely foreign to a lot of Westerners who typically would stay home.

In fact I happened to be in Taiwan when COVID-19 got serious elsewhere in the world and there was severe mask shortage in Taiwan. To the point where the government had to ration masks. It was quite embarrassing really as my colleagues made a big deal about presenting myself and other foreigners masks since we were not eligible for the government mask rationing. National ID was required to be rationed out. The media in Taiwan made a big deal about companies there having to dramatically increase production to meet the new demand of masks.
uanj and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by strife
This does not match the reality at all as anyone who has ever been to Taiwan knows. I spent almost half of 2019 in Taiwan and mask wearing was rare. One of the cultural shocks for me was that usually the only people who wore masks were people who were sick which is in itself something entirely foreign to a lot of Westerners who typically would stay home.
Same thing in Japan. What has always really bugged me about mask-wearing in Taiwan/Japan is how many people I encountered who have been perfectly fine going out for purely leisure purposes even when they knew they were sick, but just put a mask on and culturally felt that made it OK. (I suppose not much better to do the same thing for work purposes, but I guess I have more empathy when the employers in those countries tend to treat their workers like garbage.)
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
It was in the Taiwan press today that a new 2-phase plan is in the planning stages. Possibly starting sometime in April, travelers (including foreigners) who have been vaccinated (and with negative tests) may apply for 7-day quarantine (vs. 14-day). Once the Taiwan population is 60% vaccinated, the quarantine requirement may be lifted.

Acceptable vaccines include Chinese ones.

Article (in Chinese) from the Liberty Times:

https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/life/paper/1439670
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:04 pm

How easy is it for a tourist from the U.S to apply to enter Taiwan? I really want to come back to Taiwan and I've been fully vaccinated for a month.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
How easy is it for a tourist from the U.S to apply to enter Taiwan? I really want to come back to Taiwan and I've been fully vaccinated for a month.
Tourism is not a valid purpose for travel, you'd have to find another reason. (Neither is visiting friends but if you have relatives in Taiwan, that could help.)

Currently you'd have to spend 14 days in quarantine, which can easily add T$20k+ to your trip expenses. Short-term business visitors can apply for less time in quarantine if visiting from certain countries but US is not on the list.

The current regulations in a gist:

Current country eligibility list for reduced quarantine period (short-term business visitors only):
  • Low risk (5 days): Bhutan, Brunei, Fiji, Laos, Nauru, New Zealand, Macau, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Palau, Timor-Leste
  • Moderate risk (7 days): Australia, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
There are other restrictions too, so this route is only viable in very specific circumstances, even if the country list were to be expanded eventually (it's supposed to be updated every two weeks).
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I would wait for details of the new policy to come out, and check again.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Gold (pre-pandemic). Amex Platinum card member
When do we expect Taiwan to open back up? I was there in March 2020 just the week before they closed everything down. It was absolutely MAGICAL. No one was there and we felt like we had the whole country to ourselves.
JNelson113, LETTERBOY and ek9 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:42 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by bradysimpson
When do we expect Taiwan to open back up? I was there in March 2020 just the week before they closed everything down. It was absolutely MAGICAL. No one was there and we felt like we had the whole country to ourselves.
IMHO I’d venture next year? They have little vaccinations so the whole population is vulnerable.

The economy as well as life is doing great.

Wife and I are in week three of unrestricted local travel after 2+1 week quarantine, now shortened. I can see the prevailing climate to be more conservative than aggressive.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:29 am

Some news at last:

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202104260016

Shorter quarantine for COVID-19-vaccinated arrivals from mid-May: CECC

Taipei, April 26 (CNA) Arrivals in Taiwan who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 could be allowed to shorten their quarantine from 14 to seven days as soon as mid-May, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.

These arrivals would be able to apply to cut their quarantine short if they became fully vaccinated more than one month prior to visiting Taiwan, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who also heads the CECC, at a press briefing in Taipei.

Further eligibility requirements include having to present proof of a negative COVID-19 test result before their flight and another negative test for COVID-19 on the seventh day after their arrival.

They must also be tested for antibodies in Taiwan, although the CECC has not yet decided how such a test would be carried out, Chen said.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Will all vaccines be accepted or only selected ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.