Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Will all vaccines be accepted or only selected ones?
No specific info yet, but from another source (in Chinese) it says gov't will focus on efficacy of vaccine, not country of origin.

https://www.chinatimes.com/newspaper...7-260102?chdtv

外界關心認可施打的疫苗是否不限廠牌、不限國別?陳時中僅表示,「我們不走這樣的路」,並未正面回應。發言 人莊人祥表示,會用檢驗確認疫苗效力,不限疫苗廠牌。
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Pity, 7 quarantine's days are a lots anyway, IMHO. Especially for a vaccinated person.
I was hoping that a vaccine has enough (or, If necessary vaccine + an antibody test) for leaving the quarantine requirements... not a good news at all.
Need, LETTERBOY and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Shorter quarantine for COVID-19-vaccinated arrivals from mid-May: CECC
Originally Posted by :D!
Will all vaccines be accepted or only selected ones?
Originally Posted by AZ112
Pity, 7 quarantine's days are a lots anyway, IMHO. Especially for a vaccinated person.
I was hoping that a vaccine has enough (or, If necessary vaccine + an antibody test) for leaving the quarantine requirements... not a good news at all.
And please note this is hugely speculative, since, as stated, the government hasn't even decided how to determine vaccinated status. I would not expect the CECC to make any commitment until there is guidance from WHO - so the notion of a "mid-May" policy implementation seems farfetched.

I'd also be wary of [antibody] tests determining vaccination status - [antibody] tests are notoriously unreliable (esp. sensitivity) and if the [antibody] test is to take place after arrival in Taiwan, the CECC would have to make known what the consequence of "failing" the [antibody] test would be (e.g., would a person after a single [antibody] test "fail" then need to do the standard full 21-day regimen of quarantine plus self-monitoring).

Last edited by gengar; Apr 27, 2021 at 7:13 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
I'd also be wary of antigen tests determining vaccination status - antigen tests are notoriously unreliable (esp. sensitivity) and if the antigen test is to take place after arrival in Taiwan, the CECC would have to make known what the consequence of "failing" the antigen test would be (e.g., would a person after a single antigen test "fail" then need to do the standard full 21-day regimen of quarantine plus self-monitoring).
Actually, antigen test and antibody test are two different tests that are used for different porposes.
Antigen Test has a similar utility of a PCR test: it's used to see if a person has a covid infection (it's more rapid than a PCR but least efficient);
Antibody test is used to see if the person has the antibodies, so if he is protected from the infection of Covid-19.
As I've understood, the government wanna check the antibody at the airport once landed (and not the antigen)...that's why I'm asking why to introduce 7 days of mandatory even if vaccinated with an antibody test done.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Actually, antigen test and antibody test are two different tests that are used for different porposes.
Antigen Test has a similar utility of a PCR test: it's used to see if a person has a covid infection (it's more rapid than a PCR but least efficient);
Antibody test is used to see if the person has the antibodies, so if he is protected from the infection of Covid-19.
As I've understood, the government wanna check the antibody at the airport once landed (and not the antigen)...that's why I'm asking why to introduce 7 days of mandatory even if vaccinated with an antibody test done.
I meant antibody, and have edited my post accordingly. My post was correct for the intended meaning of antibody; they are notoriously poor in sensitivity.

The policy currently being reported in Taiwanese media as being considered by CECC for the shortened 7-day quarantine is 2x PCR (negative test before boarding, once after quarantine) plus some antibody test (to determine vaccination status).

Last edited by gengar; Apr 28, 2021 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:54 pm

Whatever the case, things are at least moving in the right direction. I think this is the way the world will open up again, in fits and steps rather than in one fell swoop.
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:42 am

I meant antibody, and have edited my post accordingly. My post was correct for the intended meaning of antibody; they are notoriously poor in sensitivity.
Uhm... I don't think so. If you have some antibody, the antibody test (witu blood semple) are 100% accurate. The antibody test will show you the exact quantity of antibody that your body has reached.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
This is welcome news even if just as a step in the right direction.

Uhm... I don't think so. If you have some antibody, the antibody test (witu blood semple) are 100% accurate. The antibody test will show you the exact quantity of antibody that your body has reached.
There is a BMJ study on various serology sensitivity. I recall many including Roche were in 80% range.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:57 pm

It's just not that simple. There's a reason why, for example, the CDC does not recommend existing antibody tests for vaccination immunity assessment (see, e.g., [1], [2] under section "Laboratory testing", etc.).

This is why I think the supposed mid-May date is totally farfetched, because no one has established a metric for that assessment.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:01 am

If they're waiting for the equation "risk = 0" they could open on 2024, at least.
I think that countries have to do their best to balance the minimization to spread the covid-19 and the opportunity to reopen - with certain rules - to some people their borders (note: some people, not some countries).
But obviously, I've understood their reason.
YariGuy and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:33 am

I think the supposed mid-May date is totally farfetched, because no one has established a metric for that assessment.
You called it. And given the recent spike in local infections and the vaccine hesitancy in Taiwan, it's not going to open for a long time in my opinion.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You called it. And given the recent spike in local infections and the vaccine hesitancy in Taiwan, it's not going to open for a long time in my opinion.
Vaccine hesitancy in Taiwan has suddenly evaporated. Even my physician brother-in-law can't get an appt for a jab.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Vaccine hesitancy in Taiwan has suddenly evaporated. Even my physician brother-in-law can't get an appt for a jab.
I guess the problem now has become lack of vaccines.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I guess the problem now has become lack of vaccines.
...and now everyone wants a jab. Before, there was no urgency, since there was no community spread. Now...suddenly things are different.
Old May 17, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Skyman65
...and now everyone wants a jab. Before, there was no urgency, since there was no community spread. Now...suddenly things are different.
But in any case, this looks like a "two steps back" kind of development. With the US roaring back, I think a lot of the Taiwanese-American COVID refugees will be going back to the US for the start of the fall schoolyear. This will be a (probably slight) negative hit to Taiwan's GDP, and to the PR story.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.