Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Minimum connection time at Jakarta (CGK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,

Hi all.

I'm planning a routing from HKG to DPS.

I'm able to book CX from HKG to CGK using avios then plan to book with Lion or the hop over from CGK to DPS.

Being that they will be separate tickets, we shall have to clear customs at CGK and collect luggage before checking in for the short flight to DPS.

Does anyone have any recent experience of a comfortable connection time for this airport given what we have to achieve?

I've found flights that would give us exactly two hours but I'm not sure if that'd be enough.

In case it has any bearing on being early into an immigration queue, I'm planning on booking First class with CX from HKG

Many thanks for any thoughts

Chris
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:32 pm

Chris. Although I can't give you an exact time, two hours may not be enough One thing you will have to factor in is changing terminals from int'l to domestic. While there is a shuttle service between terminals, it may operate a bit slower based on time of day. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AP 75k
If the shuttle is slow, a taxi works well. I've done the connection in 2 hours.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:49 pm

2 hours is a bit risky. If the CX flight delay or longer than expected time to pass through the immigration and to get the luggage, or even need to queue for the taxi or wait for the shuttle bus, either one of them can make you miss the connecting flight.
I will suggest at least leave 3 hours in between, given you need to transfer to another terminal.

Also, from my experience, better avoid Lion Air if you can. Travelled a few times with them, near all flights are delayed. The only exception is the one which was the first flight of the day, which was the only time it was on time.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ctb213ctb213
2 hours is a bit risky. If the CX flight delay or longer than expected time to pass through the immigration and to get the luggage, or even need to queue for the taxi or wait for the shuttle bus, either one of them can make you miss the connecting flight.
I will suggest at least leave 3 hours in between, given you need to transfer to another terminal.

Also, from my experience, better avoid Lion Air if you can. Travelled a few times with them, near all flights are delayed. The only exception is the one which was the first flight of the day, which was the only time it was on time.

what is the official MCT at CGK? I’ll be taking QF41 arriving 1730 at T3, looking to book MH722 depart at 1825 from T3.
Carry on only, would 55 minutes be feasible and within MCT?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Ausriver
what is the official MCT at CGK? I’ll be taking QF41 arriving 1730 at T3, looking to book MH722 depart at 1825 from T3.
Carry on only, would 55 minutes be feasible and within MCT?
MCT for International to International is 1 hour, so you not qualify on 1 ticket.
I would not suggest you try it on 2 tickets.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Have been warned not to even try it on a same-plane turnaround.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Stuckdowntheback
Hi all.

I'm planning a routing from HKG to DPS.

I'm able to book CX from HKG to CGK using avios then plan to book with Lion or the hop over from CGK to DPS.

Being that they will be separate tickets, we shall have to clear customs at CGK and collect luggage before checking in for the short flight to DPS.

Does anyone have any recent experience of a comfortable connection time for this airport given what we have to achieve?

I've found flights that would give us exactly two hours but I'm not sure if that'd be enough.

In case it has any bearing on being early into an immigration queue, I'm planning on booking First class with CX from HKG

Many thanks for any thoughts

Chris
Not sure about the advantages of first-class flight into Jakarta connecting to a budget-carrier operating out of another terminal.

It might be better to consider Garuda, or at least its lower-cost offspring Citylink, for the CGK DPS link. That would avoid the clunky terminal hop.

Even within the same terminal, visa processing, baggage collection and a new check-in is clunky enough. Unless you have reasons for the rush to get to Bali, it's far better to give yourself a more relaxing less sweat-inducing connection time: otherwise CX has direct flights between Hong Kong and Bali or you can arrange seamless online connections through the likes of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.