Wiki Posts
Search

trip to myanmar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Thoughts? Yup, start by calling it Burma and take it from there.
Why? The locals refer to it as Myanmar. As for flights, Thai flies widebodies in twice a day, it's a pretty comfortable way to spend the extremely short flight.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Why? The locals refer to it as Myanmar.
Most locals call it Burma because the new name Myanmar was something that the military government gave to them. They dont like the goverment, so they dont use the new name.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:18 pm

This topic is so popular that there is a wiki page about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Burma

Other recent news articles:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...s-use-of-burma
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ama-name-visit
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec...-name-20121224
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by 31570324
Most locals call it Burma because the new name Myanmar was something that the military government gave to them. They dont like the goverment, so they dont use the new name.
Whenever I said Burma to a local, they corrected me and said Myanmar...just my experience.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA
My understanding is that the term Myanmar is more inclusive of other ethnic groups, whereas Burma refers to the Bamar ethnic group.

I'm fine with using a more inclusive term, and no, that does not mean I support the junta.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: various
With any governmental entity or officialdom including post office, bank, etc. use Myanmar. When talking to locals, ask what they prefer you to use. Their answer will tell you something about where their feelings lie. Most of the locals I interacted with preferred "Burma" even if that was not their ethnicity.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Mandira
Does this mean you just e-mail them and they will give you a lower quote? According to a couple of threads in this forum, booking domestic Myanmar tickets through travel agents is cheaper than booking directly from the airline.
I sent them an e-mail, and got some quotes on Air Bagan which looked like more or less the same prices as on the website with ~10 % taxes added (added in the payment window when booking through the website). Maybe a few dollars chaper than the website quote for one of my flights, but then Air Bagan was one of the more expensive options. The other TA I've been in contact with quoted something similar. If nothing else shows up, I guess I'll just place a booking online at OWAY with credit card. No need to carry around more cash than necessary if I can avoid it, I get a say in choosing my flights, and I'll get a better USD rate through Visa than when changing cash.
What price should be expected for a, say, RGN-NYU flight nowadays? Seems like most resources on Myanmar/Burma are a bit outdated when it comes to prices (especially my 2011 edition Lonely Planet).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:37 pm

Wikipedia

In English, the country is popularly known by either of its short names "Burma" or "Myanmar". Both these names are derived from the name of the majority Burmese Bamar ethnic group. Myanmar is considered to be the literary form of the name of the group, while Burma is derived from "Bamar", the colloquial form of the group's name.
Originally Posted by freezefactor
My understanding is that the term Myanmar is more inclusive of other ethnic groups, whereas Burma refers to the Bamar ethnic group.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mandira
What price should be expected for a, say, RGN-NYU flight nowadays? Seems like most resources on Myanmar/Burma are a bit outdated when it comes to prices (especially my 2011 edition Lonely Planet).
I would say USD 100-120
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
I stand corrected.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I haven't used a travel agent in years, but when we emailed hotels in Yangon for availability they were very prompt to reply. I'm talking about hours, not days.

BTW, the bus was pretty easy to Bagan and then to Mandalay. But I'm a budget traveler. (One word of advice, pre-book your bus. Don't just show up at the bus "station".)
How long was the bus ride? Is it one of those buses that you have to climb on top of the roof? (Like that some trains in India)
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by kan148
How long was the bus ride? Is it one of those buses that you have to climb on top of the roof? (Like that some trains in India)
Yangon Bagan about 9 hours in the night, you will arrive very early in the morning. 15000MMK. And no, you have your own seat and nobody will sit on the roof of the bus or at the aisle. But it will be very cold, so take a jacket in your handluggage and if you have also a blanket.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:39 am

My ticket from Bagan to RGN was 13,000 Kyat -- it was cheap enough that I went and booked two seats for myself so that I could sleep more successfully on the overnight trip, and it was well worth it to me. The main annoyance on the trip were the rest stops, and the very annoying Burmese pop music blaring over the speakers. Thankfully they turned off the music sometime around 10 or 11pm.

The Aung Mingalabar bus station in Yangon was unlike anything I'd ever seen when we rolled in at 4am. Crazy, crowded and chaotic. I didn't stick around for long, but it basically seemed like a large field to me with an insane number of buses and cars all over the place.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:19 pm

Yes ticket from Yangon to Bagan is 15000, other direction is 13000.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by freezefactor
The Aung Mingalabar bus station in Yangon was unlike anything I'd ever seen when we rolled in at 4am. Crazy, crowded and chaotic. I didn't stick around for long, but it basically seemed like a large field to me with an insane number of buses and cars all over the place.
^^^ It should be on Amazing Race. It's more like a bus city than a bus station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.