Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'll be arriving in KUL later this week. Our party will be 4 adults and one toddler with a medium amount of luggage. (1 checked bag, and 1-2 smallish hand carry bags each)

What's a reasonable price to pay for a van transport to the Hyatt? I see 200 or so ringgit quoted but was hoping for something a little better.

Any other tips for a leisurely day tour of the city, and things to do near the Hyatt?

RM200 is about the going rate for a van from the airport to the Hyatt with 1 large travel bag and 6-8 other smaller bags and 4 adults and 1 toddler.

I doubt you can do much better than that.

Hyatt is next to KLCC shopping center. There is the aquarium directly behind the Hyatt, and a short underground walk to the KLCC shopping center..lots of food choices at the food court, cinema, shopping and of course the trip up the twin towers which is interesting.

You can take the special walk way from the Hyatt across to Pavillion shopping center with the over head walk way (the entrance to this is also behind the Hyatt..use the back entrance/exit) and then across to Bukit Bintang shopping center...

Book a van and do a day trip tour of the Batu Caves, and if you are interested, to Genting Highlands. This is usually a 8 hour day (1 hour st Batu Caves, 1.5 hour journey to Genting), maybe 2-3 hours at Genting and then another 1.5 hour journey back to your hotel depending on traffic).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Can you really get a Van for RM 200 from KUL? I asked when I arrived at the taxi counter and they said the cheapest they could offer is 2 taxis for RM 275.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Like airfares, there is the book in advance rate and walk up rate. KUL to the business district has always been around RM200 for the microvans and less for a car.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Driver in Sandakan

We're going to Sandakan and our plan was to rent a car for a day (or two) at SDK airport. Then, make our way towards Kinabatangan area and back to Sandakan city with stops as we like. Now, I foolishly forgot to take my int'l driver's license with me.
Can anybody recommend a (taxi) driver in the Sandakan area that can be hired for a reasonable fee? Organized (day) tours from Sandakan appear to be priced absurdly.

Thank you!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yes, we beat 200 Ringgit for the van to the Hyatt. 199.80.

We booked it on the lobby floor, KLIA2. One of the taxiprepay booths, and they took credit cards. Would fit 6-7 adults, plus luggage. I think they call them "Family vans". Counter 8 or 9.

The receipt shows cab2klia2.com

It took less than hour from the airport to the vicinity of the hotel. Unfortunately traffic was horrible at this point, and the police wouldn't let the van enter one entrance. It took another hour to actually get in. Thankfully it was a flat rate.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:21 pm

Hi everyone..... usd to ringgit best exchange rate at airport or elsewhere?

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:51 am

Travel to Tanah Rata/Cam Highlands; KL Sentral luggage storage; overnight room at STB

Hi All,

This is a great thread. I am an upcoming 3 week trip to Malaysia and so. Thailand for a late honeymoon in December/January. I just want to tie up a few loose ends about this.

(1) We have 3 nights in Tanah Rata near the end of the trip. There is a bus from Puduraya to Tanah Rata in about 4 hours, but it seems like there might be problems getting adequate bathroom breaks. Also, my wife can get car sick, so I don't know if this is best.

Another approach is to take the ETS train to Tapah Road or to Ipoh, and get a bus or car rental there. How is the bus ride or the drive from Tapah via Route 59 from the south vs. the bus ride or the drive from Ipoh via Route 185? Would either be an easy approach for an American driver? I am avoiding any drive in KL if I can help it.

(2) When we return to KL from the highlands, we might choose to spend some time shopping and dining before our trip to the airport. TripAdvisor mentions luggage lockers in KL Sentral being a good option. The thread is closed though. Are the lockers still a good option for those who don't have a hotel near Sentral?

(3) We have an 8AM flight on All Nippon to Tokyo Narita. I believe we will depart from the Satellite Terminal Building (STB). The Sama Sama Express Hotel is inside the terminal which seems like an easy stress free option to be at the terminal before our flight. Does airport security at MTB or STB and the Aerotrain run at all hours? If we need to be going through security by some time, we need to be sure of what time to leave KL Sentral by train.

Thanks!
Michael
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Johore Bahru.... safety in....

For various reasons, I need to go to Johore Bahru but not to/from Singapore. My sister tells me that it's like the wild west there (not sure if it is Singapore government propaganda to keep SGD retail spending at home) and dangerous.

Any truth to it? Same source told me driving in Malaysia was dangerous (maybe Singaporeans can't drive on highways) and we were fine driving in peninsular Malaysia.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:28 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I was watching the BBC series Indian Summers on Masterpiece Theatre and it was fun to see that it was filmed in and around Penang.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
For various reasons, I need to go to Johore Bahru but not to/from Singapore. My sister tells me that it's like the wild west there (not sure if it is Singapore government propaganda to keep SGD retail spending at home) and dangerous.

Any truth to it? Same source told me driving in Malaysia was dangerous (maybe Singaporeans can't drive on highways) and we were fine driving in peninsular Malaysia.
Statement coming from Singapore towards Malaysia needs to be taken with the grain of salt because people in Singapore have siege mentality - I know what I am talking about - I have been living in Singapore for 4 years.

If you use standard common sense - do not go at night in unfamiliar places which you have not checked/researched, do not show off your cash/wealth, do not get drunk and pass out in public, do not leave your stuff in car visible, do lock you car even when you need to get our and walk 10m, do not attract attention, etc, etc - you will be fine.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Statement coming from Singapore towards Malaysia needs to be taken with the grain of salt because people in Singapore have siege mentality - I know what I am talking about - I have been living in Singapore for 4 years.

If you use standard common sense - <snip> - you will be fine.
That's what I thought/would have thought. What I have also heard is that there is (recently) more ethnic strife given the Malay PM's alleged corruption troubles. Any truth in that?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What I have also heard is that there is (recently) more ethnic strife given the Malay PM's alleged corruption troubles. Any truth in that?
You can go Yahoo Singapore Page and read about this. In short, as usual there is more media sensational coverage than reality. It is not 1967 or 1998 Jakarta situation. No one will allow situation to reach that level.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
It is not 1967 or 1998 Jakarta situation. No one will allow situation to reach that level.
Thanks. Dealing with older people who were young adults during that period and have long memories.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Malaysia has moved on a lot since the 1969 riots (Spore had some too, just wikipedia Race Riots of Singapore). Politicians (yes mainstream) who cannot justify their existence would use the race card but Malaysia is a lot more balanced now, with other Malay opposition parties who just dont endorse this kinda rubbish, and also Bornean Malay parties who hold together the balance of power, who are more moderate.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Just to let everyone know - KL and the valley's coffee scene is just buzzing. Unfortunately not all are in the city centre but in other neighbourhoods. Different types of roasts and beans from all over (and indy shops, not chains), all types of healthy food. Worth a try outside the usual KLCC/Bkt Bintang areas. Timeout KL has a good listing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.