Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by p111111
Hi everyone..... usd to ringgit best exchange rate at airport or elsewhere?

Thanks
KL city center would be your best bet. I don't believe I've seen an airport exchange rate that's decent in my travels (not only limited to Malaysia, but most places around the world where airport forex has one of the widest spreads).
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Often ATM withdrawl gets the best exchange rate ... but it depends on what fees your bank may add to foreign ATM usage (zero for my bank, but can be huge for some other banks). I only every use non-ATM when all the ATMs are not working
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Best Forex places are Mid Valley mall (concourse, you cant miss 2 queues in middle where ppl are queuing) and Wisma Central ground floor (the old building beside KLCC, have to walk past the Four Seasons being constructed). Forget KLCC, very pricey.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
(2) When we return to KL from the highlands, we might choose to spend some time shopping and dining before our trip to the airport. TripAdvisor mentions luggage lockers in KL Sentral being a good option. The thread is closed though. Are the lockers still a good option for those who don't have a hotel near Sentral?

Lockers still there, not sure of hours tho.

(3) We have an 8AM flight on All Nippon to Tokyo Narita. I believe we will depart from the Satellite Terminal Building (STB). The Sama Sama Express Hotel is inside the terminal which seems like an easy stress free option to be at the terminal before our flight. Does airport security at MTB or STB and the Aerotrain run at all hours? If we need to be going through security by some time, we need to be sure of what time to leave KL Sentral by train.

Yes, 24 hour airport. But express train from KL Sentral only starts early morning, check website. Aerotrain (inside airport and NOT the express train from KL Sentral) works all the time. Or if stopped, buses will ferry u, never a problem before.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Michael Collins
Hi All,

This is a great thread. I am an upcoming 3 week trip to Malaysia and so. Thailand for a late honeymoon in December/January. I just want to tie up a few loose ends about this.

(1) We have 3 nights in Tanah Rata near the end of the trip. There is a bus from Puduraya to Tanah Rata in about 4 hours, but it seems like there might be problems getting adequate bathroom breaks. Also, my wife can get car sick, so I don't know if this is best.

Another approach is to take the ETS train to Tapah Road or to Ipoh, and get a bus or car rental there. How is the bus ride or the drive from Tapah via Route 59 from the south vs. the bus ride or the drive from Ipoh via Route 185? Would either be an easy approach for an American driver? I am avoiding any drive in KL if I can help it.

(2) When we return to KL from the highlands, we might choose to spend some time shopping and dining before our trip to the airport. TripAdvisor mentions luggage lockers in KL Sentral being a good option. The thread is closed though. Are the lockers still a good option for those who don't have a hotel near Sentral?

(3) We have an 8AM flight on All Nippon to Tokyo Narita. I believe we will depart from the Satellite Terminal Building (STB). The Sama Sama Express Hotel is inside the terminal which seems like an easy stress free option to be at the terminal before our flight. Does airport security at MTB or STB and the Aerotrain run at all hours? If we need to be going through security by some time, we need to be sure of what time to leave KL Sentral by train.

Thanks!
Michael
Why not stay the night at KL Sentral at a hotel there, take the 5.30am train from KL sentral to KLIA (40 minutes)? Check in, and get to your gate with time to spare.

The Sama Sama hotel in the sat building for international flights was really disappointing last time I stayed there on transit. Save your money and just stay at KL Sentral.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Michael Collins

Thanks!
Michael
Lockers are plentiful at KL Sentral, and available 0400 to midnight daily.

They are located at the northern end of the concourse, in a corridor with toilet facilities at either end and a paid shower at the western end.
Small lockers are RM5, larger for RM10 upwards - get a token from the change machine.

They are a convenient service, a fraction of the cost of left luggage at KLIA, and totally worth it to dump bags before exploring the city.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Hi. Thanks for this amazing thread.

I'm arriving into KUL at 16:25, on a wednesday afternoon, and leaving again at 01:20 that night.

I would like to see some sights in KUL - can anyone recommend a cheap but reliable tour guide for a solo traveller, which would include airport pickup and drop off?

I have seen only a quote for 190 USD.

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: CX MPC, EK Skywards, KR Skypass, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Using KUL as Transit

Hello Everyone,
It's been a while I've been to KUL (15yrs to be exact). I have a flight to Dhaka, from Manila.
I was wondering if the transit is easy in KUL?
I am seeking options in my travel (via CX, SQ, or TG).

Thanks in Advance!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by thebedouin10
Hello Everyone,
It's been a while I've been to KUL (15yrs to be exact). I have a flight to Dhaka, from Manila.
I was wondering if the transit is easy in KUL?

Thanks in Advance!
All the airports you're considering (HKG, SIN, BKK, KUL) have straightforward transfer procedures.

At SIN and KUL, you get off the plane, go to the gate of the onward flight, and clear security there before boarding. HKG and BKK have centralised security checkpoints so you clear security after stepping off the plane before going upstairs to departures.
thebedouin10 likes this.

Last edited by SilverChris; Mar 23, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by thebedouin10
These airlines do not route through KUL from Manila to Dhaka.

AirAsia does, and I believe the procedure is different, but I do not know.
thebedouin10 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: CX MPC, EK Skywards, KR Skypass, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Hello SilverChris and CrazyInteg!

Many thanks for the response.
My fault on not giving the full information.
I'm currently choosing flights to go to Dhaka.
CX = MNL-HKG-DAC
SQ = MNL-SNG-DAC
TG = MNL-BKK-DAC
MH = MNL-KUL-DAC

I usually take CX for all my Asian Flights but I have seen that the arrival time in DAC comes around Midnight Local time. Which to me is abit late as I need to go to the office earlier.
I am now choosing between SQ and MH as these are the best (?) viable times that I can get a goodnights rest while before going to work.

Thanks again for the response.

Last edited by thebedouin10; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:52 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:15 pm

Hello guys,

I'm flying to Malaysia on Jan/Feb next year - is that true that the trails in Taman Negara, which are deeper in the jungle, are closed due to the monsoon season? I found a lot of misleading information here and there...

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ll be arriving at KUL this weekend, and don’t want to take the train to the Doubletree. A few years ago we took a minivan, which I recall was fine. On the Hilton thread they mentioned a flat rate service that didn’t charge an airport surcharge and was 80 ringgit or so. I went to the site, but they don’t list current prices.

I’m fine with Uber or Grab, as long as it’s not a subcompact. Toyota Corrolla or larger size vehicle is fine. Two adults and one kidlet. A few bags.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ll be arriving at KUL this weekend, and don’t want to take the train to the Doubletree. A few years ago we took a minivan, which I recall was fine. On the Hilton thread they mentioned a flat rate service that didn’t charge an airport surcharge and was 80 ringgit or so. I went to the site, but they don’t list current prices.

I’m fine with Uber or Grab, as long as it’s not a subcompact. Toyota Corrolla or larger size vehicle is fine. Two adults and one kidlet. A few bags.
At least a few months ago Uber had divied up their cars into multiple categories. The cheapest, and smallest, started at 72 MYR (IIRC) and the next level, for 4-6 people and/or multiple bags (UberXL ?? ), was 112 MYR (again, IIRC) so there was a way to accurately choose your car.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
We got the standard Uber (Flash). The driver didn’t seem to like our one 25” roller bag, and 2x 22” carryons, and was trying to tell us to get an Uber XL. I’ve gone in similar Ubers with an extra bag or two (Honda City), and he finally just put them in the trunk.

Rate was 74.8 Ringgit. Traffic for a Saturday wasn’t bad until the exit for the Doubletree. Maybe an hour from the airport.

I stand firm in my dislike of KLIA terminal 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.