Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:25 am

Ipoh food > everywhere else in malaysia
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am currently working on some trip logistics and was wondering on getting from KL Sentral (we're lodging at the Hilton) to Malacca. I've been reading that a taxi runs about 200+ MYR between KL and Malacca. Any recommendations on companies to book through? I am guessing that it would be cheeky to punch the info into Grab!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I am currently working on some trip logistics and was wondering on getting from KL Sentral (we're lodging at the Hilton) to Malacca. I've been reading that a taxi runs about 200+ MYR between KL and Malacca. Any recommendations on companies to book through? I am guessing that it would be cheeky to punch the info into Grab!
Why not take a bus? It's a whole lot cheaper. I've used Easybook in the past to get from KL to Singapore.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Nothing wrong with GRAB you could be surprised...there's always drivers lokking for that big trip. We used "Genting Cabs" quite a bit - don't be put off by their name - they will take you anywhere in Malaysia...should be RM 200/250 range...which is really cheap converted to our bucks!!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by calbear2005
Why not take a bus? It's a whole lot cheaper. I've used Easybook in the past to get from KL to Singapore.
The equivalent of US$50-60 isn't too bad, especially when split between 2 people, per below.

Originally Posted by curiouspax
Nothing wrong with GRAB you could be surprised...there's always drivers lokking for that big trip. We used "Genting Cabs" quite a bit - don't be put off by their name - they will take you anywhere in Malaysia...should be RM 200/250 range...which is really cheap converted to our bucks!!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:29 pm

[FYI] - Google lists the official website of KLIA as www.klia.com.my ...this address is now kaput...MHAB in their wisdom (??) has moved things to https://airports.malaysiaairports.com.my ...took me a long few hours to track this down...
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Transit in KUL (KLIA1) question

It looks as if in a few days, I'll have a transfer in KLIA1. It looks the flight I'm arriving on mostly uses a C gate in the satellite. The departing flight (SQ5303 op. by SilkAir) mostly uses a gate in G/H. (For my exact date, SQ's booking confirmation gives Terminal M as the departure gate, I suppose that stands for main terminal building).

From what I researched, I will need to take the Aerotrain to get from the satellite to the G/H gates. Any suggestions on the best route? The connection is a bit tight.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 8mh
It looks as if in a few days, I'll have a transfer in KLIA1. It looks the flight I'm arriving on mostly uses a C gate in the satellite. The departing flight (SQ5303 op. by SilkAir) mostly uses a gate in G/H. (For my exact date, SQ's booking confirmation gives Terminal M as the departure gate, I suppose that stands for main terminal building).

From what I researched, I will need to take the Aerotrain to get from the satellite to the G/H gates. Any suggestions on the best route? The connection is a bit tight.
what's to say? If you need to switch terminal just follow the signs for the inter-terminal rain. Make your way to the front carriage for a srategic exit.
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The connection should be fine. Not too long a walk to the shuttle, though only one is working during off-peak hours. May take a few minutes longer.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by 8mh
KUL is like SIN T1, T2, T3 - security is done at the gate for intl. to intl. transfers. The train runs every 2-5 minutes (2 minutes during peak period which is most of the day), but I doubt you'll need it. MI almost always depart from the C gates. Foreign carriers rarely use the G/H gates at KUL.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:16 pm

I guess bumping up this thread for a highly specific question. Can't seem to find this info online. Is it possible to buy a Celcom SIM card at Langkawi airport? Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2022, 12:42 pm

Is there any SIM card available in Malaysia that would also work (for voice & data) in Thailand?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by puchong
Is there any SIM card available in Malaysia that would also work (for voice & data) in Thailand?
Hotlink (Maxis's pre-paid brand) SIMs charge MYR10 per day to roam in Thailand.

Conversely, True's pre-paid SIMs charge THB350 a day to roam in Asia outside Thailand but you'd buy a roaming package for 10 days for THB399 which is a lot more reasonable.

I don't know of any pan-Asian SIMs that let you roam within the region as though you're in the home country like you can do across the EU however the roaming charges are reasonable between these countries. Or just get local pre-paid SIMs in each country and pay the relatively trivial domestic data pack rates. At one point I had active SIMs in Malaysia, Thailand, and Singapore and I wasn't the only one swapping them over on planes.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:50 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
What's the best operator if I'm staying on Pulau Mabul (East Sabah) ? Maxis? Celcom? Do they offer eSIM for their pre-paid plans?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:59 am

eSIMs make things easier on my trip to Sarawak. I downloaded the app called Yoodo, registered and uploaded my passport details and bought an eSim plan that suit my needs that was less than 10 USD. Of course you'll need a phone that supports eSIM. I tried Tunetalk too but couldn't get it to register for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.