Reload this Page >

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:17 am

Hi Dolphinyong, it's a nice thread to promote our country. Yeah, I'm from Malaysia.

CT

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Great, more opinions mean more information=) Are you Malaysian as well?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Aha, great. It's a nice property. Hope you enjoy your time in Malaysia=) If you could give your feedback after your trip about Kuala Lumpur, it would be useful for the rest of the FTers here=)
Not too much to add in this thread. I came, used the VIP KLIA Express service, slept, had meetings and went back to the airport and back to Bangkok. Pretty uneventful.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:25 am

Bukit Bintang - Chinatown/Central Market free shuttle

I realized that most of the tourists like to stay in Bukit Bintang area, from there you could take this free shuttle bus to the Chinatown, it's a flee market (please bargain, I felt angry whenever I saw some foreigner being asked for a price 100% or 200% that a local will get, just said that your Malaysian brought you there last year, and you got price of xxx for this fake LV bag). All the stuff (bags whatsoever) sold there are not genuine though, but look nice Try the local food there, they are nice, not need to bargain for food though

http://centralmarket.com.my/?p=2346

CT^
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by CoupleTraveler
I realized that most of the tourists like to stay in Bukit Bintang area, from there you could take this free shuttle bus to the Chinatown, it's a flee market (please bargain, I felt angry whenever I saw some foreigner being asked for a price 100% or 200% that a local will get, just said that your Malaysian brought you there last year, and you got price of xxx for this fake LV bag). All the stuff (bags whatsoever) sold there are not genuine though, but look nice Try the local food there, they are nice, not need to bargain for food though

http://centralmarket.com.my/?p=2346

CT^
Thanks for the tip, I'll be in KL in late March, and I'm looking for interesting things to do. Free is always nice ^
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I will be arriving/departing on MH on an international flight (booked in Business Class) to/from KUL, and would appreciate information and advice on the following:

(a) How long should I plan after arrival to clear immigration, customs, and collect baggage? I need to provide a pickup time for a car that will pick me up at KUL. I'm arriving on a Thursday morning at about 6:30 AM, if it matters.

(b) How long will it take from the Westin in downtown KL to KUL airport on a Sunday early evening? My flight is at 7:30 PM, and I need to plan a departure time from the Westin that will get me to the airport in time to comfortably check-in and relax for about 30 minutes in the lounge.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Hi, glad that you like this thread. There are certainly more information that I should gain in order to make this thread better.

3. I looked on the hotel's location, it's situated near the city centre, and it's by the beach if not mistaken. So, it's perfect=)

Enjoy yourself. And if possible, do give us some feedback after your trip. It would certainly help the others=) Thanks a lot.

Regards.
As requested here's our feedback:

We had a nice stay at the E&O hotel in Penang. Good location, friendly staff, and a nice breakfast spread. The rooms are comfortable and we enjoyed having a separate sitting room. The hotel has a shuttle to their sister property, Lone Pine, which worked well for a few hours of beach time.

Eating Asia helped plan our dining and we did a fun walking tour with Robyn. I highly recommend Robyn as she was informative and very easy to work with. The best thing is she taught us how to order food from the stalls.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 am

Hi, I saw some other thread about 'ask us about Phuket', so I decided to start this thread to answer your questions regarding hotels, transport etc for traveling in Malaysia=)
thank you so much for this thread.off to malaysia on the 27th and would like to explore kl more
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:08 am

hello dolhpinyong,would you be able to give me the location of the bus depot in the airport to take a bus to sitiawan please many thanks
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Skywards
KLIA transit questions

We are flying into KLIA from HKG and then on to LGK.

HKG - KUL on CX (reward ticket) and then KUL - LGK on MH (revenue ticket) so 2 different tickets.

We arrive at 12.30 and depart at 14.15 I know this is tight but hope that if we can check bags through to LGK it is doable.

First question is: can we check our bags through to LGK? Or do the bags have to go through customs at the first point of entry into Malaysia? I think I remember checking bags though from LHR to LGK a few years ago although that was all on MH.

Because the short flight isnt expensive I have booked us on the 18.15 KUL - LGK flight as insurance but obviously we hope to make the first flight.

I assume on the return journey that checking bags through from LGK to HKG will be more straightforward? We have 2.5 hours layover in KUL on the way back.

Thank you for any thoughts.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any suggestions for a car service for a private transfer (for two) from KUL airport to Melaka?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
My friend and I are traveling to Singapore for the first time in mid February (Feb 14 to 24). We'd like to spend a few days in Singapore and then spend the rest of the time exploring Malaysia. Are there interesting sights in Malaysia close to Singapore or would you recommend going up closer to KL?

We'd also like to get some beach time in, so we were considering Langkawi or Tioman for that. Are either of these destinations gay friendly? Are there any gay friendly destinations in Malaysia?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
My friend and I are traveling to Singapore for the first time in mid February (Feb 14 to 24). We'd like to spend a few days in Singapore and then spend the rest of the time exploring Malaysia. Are there interesting sights in Malaysia close to Singapore or would you recommend going up closer to KL?

We'd also like to get some beach time in, so we were considering Langkawi or Tioman for that. Are either of these destinations gay friendly? Are there any gay friendly destinations in Malaysia?

Try looking here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=15406863

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=15406882
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
thanks. I did that search already. Most of the info on GLBT travel for Malaysia centers around KL, but I'd like to get out of the city as well.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
thanks. I did that search already. Most of the info on GLBT travel for Malaysia centers around KL, but I'd like to get out of the city as well.
Oh well, worth a shot. I'll be in Singapore and KL in late March...eating my way through both countries. ^
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:51 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Dear Experts,

I am planning a luxury trip to Singapore and Malaysia (first-time visit) with my wife in May this year.

The planned itinerary is currently:

Singapore (3 nights)
Malacca (1 night)
Kuala Lumpur (2 nights)
Penang (1 night)
Langkawi (6 nights)

I would like to travel between the destinations with private car transfers and by ferry from Penang to Langkawi. At the end of the trip, we plan to fly from Langkawi to SIN and back to Europe.

I would appreciate following feedback:
- Is May a good/suitable travel time?
- Does the itinerary make sense (stress should be minimized)
- Any other stops we should make on the way?
- Is the ferry a safe/suitable/comfortable mean of transportation? Are there better/worse ferry companies? Or is it better to take a plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.