Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Must...Fly!
However I have heard that Sentral is a bit of a dodgy area i.e. lots of pickpockets etc.

Do you have an opinion on this and also where I should stay? I will be arriving late on Thursday and departing Monday afternoon - so Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be spent out at Sepang. I will have the evenings to have a small look around KL though, I have never been to Malaysia before.
Any of the hotels you mentioned are alright, Sentral is as dodgy as any transport depot you will vist. In Melbourne last week a very huge overweight character confronted me and demanded a dollar for some food, then wouldn't take no for an answer. I was shaken more by that , than having a baby thrown at me in Rome, the Malaysian beggars are rather tame in comparison, they have a lot to learn!!

I would stay in town, and catch the train out, it's more fun and there are things to do
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Thanks BKKROP, that is reassuring.

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi, if you are not interested in KL downtown at all (shopping, pub etc), then maybe you can just spend your time in quiet Sepang area, like the 5-stars Pan Pacific hotel, but I don't think you have anything else to do in Sepang besides the race.

Alternatively, you can have a look of Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside, which is about 20minutes to Sepang. It's a resort, so you would have something to do outside the race-time.

Or you can just stick with Le Meridian KL, it's connected to the KL central station (5minutes walk)...It's through that you have to watch out for pickpockets and some teenagers asking for 'charity donation' around downtown KL (just ignore them, it's a well-known scandal around that area), but it doesn't make much difference which part of KL you wanna stay at. Perhaps, Le Meridian KL would be safer as it's connected right to the station...

Hope it helps, and do report back about your trip=)

Regards.
Thank you so much, this really helps! The pullman is an interesting option but I wanted to keep the costs down as much as possible and Le Meridien is a fair bit cheaper.

Is it relatively easy/safe to get to the others parts of the city (e.g. golden triangle) from where the Le Meridien is, particularly at night?

Last edited by Must...Fly!; Nov 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Hi, glad that I could help=)

I would say it's not much difference to go to the Golden triangle during the daytime or at night...You have to be aware of pickpockets, especially in the LRT...Golden triangle/Bukit Bintang is very crowded and lively at night, shopping malls all around you, pubs etc, I think it's safer than some quiet district area...

I would say, it shouldn't be a problem if you choose to stay at Le Meridian as it's right next to the LRT station, so you don't have go through some dark small street to get to your hotel...

Originally Posted by Must...Fly!
Thanks BKKROP, that is reassuring.

Thank you so much, this really helps! The pullman is an interesting option but I wanted to keep the costs down as much as possible and Le Meridien is a fair bit cheaper.

Is it relatively easy/safe to get to the others parts of the city (e.g. golden triangle) from where the Le Meridien is, particularly at night?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I need to fly from TWU-TPE one-way (connection at BKI) in March. AK seems to regularly offer tantalizing sales, although I'd have to piece together TWU-BKI and BKI-TPE segments, ticketed separately. My preference, however, would be to fly MH, primarily because of the availability of an afternoon/evening connection. The MH fare has been holding constant at around 956 MYR for months on end. Can I ever expect MH to have a big fare sale and, if so, any idea when (are there particular months or particular holidays that typically yield MH sales), or am I realistically looking at the fare not moving down?

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Nov 27, 2012 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Not sure whether this could help (I'm not very familiar with MH). Well, Malaysia school holidays fall on Nov and Dec, then another long holiday will start from 10 Feb till 17 Feb, if your travel date falls on these dates, then I don't think you could get cheaper price even if MH is gonna to have some sales...It's a trend in Malaysia that, the air ticket fare during the holidays is still the same although they are on 'sales'. And this is the school and public holidays calender in Malaysia for the year 2013 : http://www.onestopmalaysia.com/holidays-2013.html

Regards.

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I need to fly from TWU-TPE one-way (connection at BKI) in March. AK seems to regularly offer tantalizing sales, although I'd have to piece together TWU-BKI and BKI-TPE segments, ticketed separately. My preference, however, would be to fly MH, primarily because of the availability of an afternoon/evening connection. The MH fare has been holding constant at around 956 MYR for months on end. Can I ever expect MH to have a big fare sale and, if so, any idea when (are there particular months or particular holidays that typically yield MH sales), or am I realistically looking at the fare not moving down?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Happy New Year=)

Happy New Year, everyone. Hopefully, Malaysia is in your list of travel plan for 2013=)

Please do report back here if you guys have visited Malaysia=) Different people, different perspective ; More opinions, more benefits=)

And just wanna share with those who plan to travel to Kuala Lumpur, not to scare you off of course, but it's a little tips. Recently, a Singaporean tourist's bag was snatched by motorcyclist around Twin Towers area and it happens at 3pm on Sunday. So please, ladies, if possible, don't carry your handbag around and gentlemen, always walk/stand at the side of your partner with her handbag in between both of you.

Last week, a couple was robbed at the carpark of Sunway Shopping Centre (one of the largest shopping mall in Malaysia located about 45minutes from the Bukit Bintang area, your hotel front desk might suggest you to shop there). That happens around 1am and the victim's girlfriend nearly got raped, the robbers gave up after the victim handed over more money to them. As what I know, Pavilion shopping center in Bukit Bintang has well-maintained security, where there's security guards (several of them) guarding the lift to the carpark after midnight, so I should say that's quite secure. There're several pubs located near to Pavilion shopping mall, that area is quite safe so far, but still, I wouldn't recommend the ladies to walk alone around that area at late night.

All in all, everyone should stay alert and be responsible for his/her own safety when travelling in a foreign country. Hopefully these news and tips would alert you guys and help you guys to have a pleasant and safe travel in Malaysia.

Regards,
Dolphinyong
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:08 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Have a one night stay in KL tonight. Any opinions on Traders vs One World hotel?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:33 am
lpp

Traders more central, beside KLCC, more for tourists / people that do not know KL well. One World out of the way residential area close to big shopping malls and Ikea etc, more for locals.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Agree to the advice above.

To simplify :
If your purpose of stay in KL is shopping only, go for One World hotel, the 1 Utama Shopping Mall is right next to the hotel, it's one of the largest shopping mall.

If you wanna go for the tourist spots, Traders should be your choice=)

Another point to be taken into consideration is that the traffic around One World Hotel is less heavy compared to KL central area=)

Regards,
Dolphinyong

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Have a one night stay in KL tonight. Any opinions on Traders vs One World hotel?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:37 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks. Actually a business trip. I'll have to ask my colleague why he chose One World. In the end I was able to get into the Sheraton.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Aha, great. It's a nice property. Hope you enjoy your time in Malaysia=) If you could give your feedback after your trip about Kuala Lumpur, it would be useful for the rest of the FTers here=)

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Thanks. Actually a business trip. I'll have to ask my colleague why he chose One World. In the end I was able to get into the Sheraton.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
The location of JWM KL (and Westin KL which is next to each other) is perfect, shopping malls and nice eateries (Lot 10 and Jalan Alor local food) are all within walking distance=)

Do report back after your trip, it surely helps the others=)
Just came back from 6 nights in Malaysia. We had a great time as it was our first trip and will definitely return. Everyone is our party agreed that Malaysia is more interesting and lots cheaper than Singapore.

We stayed in Singapore for 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt Singapore before heading to KL. We decided to try the bus from Singapore to KL. I booked tickets online with Transtar. The double decker bus has 18 single pod (Solitaire) style seats, similar to airplane business or first class seats, AVOD and lunch provided, we paid 60USD per person. The ride was 6 hours from Singapore Golden Mile complex to Bukit Bintang.

In KL we stayed at JW Marriott. I contacted the hotel prior to arrival and was assigned a Junior Suite as a Platinum guest. Just as Dolphinyong reported I experienced great service from this property. I had dinner at both Lot10 and Pavilion across from JW. Food at Lot10 was cheaper, but the Pavilion food court has more varieties and better ambiance. I would definitely stay at JW again when coming back to KL.

We went to Penang for a few days after KL. Penang was a very interesting town, especially Georgetown. While we enjoyed KL, Penang was the highlight of our trip. We stayed at the Traders in Penang and took the free hotel shuttle to their sister property, Golden Sands Resort in Batu Ferringghi for some beach time and night market.

Over all, we had a great time in Malaysia and will definitely be back.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:50 am
Original Poster

I'm so glad that you enjoy your time in Msia and hopefully my advice did help a bit or so. Thanks a lot for your trip report, appreciate it very much.

Originally Posted by imm2b
Just came back from 6 nights in Malaysia. We had a great time as it was our first trip and will definitely return. Everyone is our party agreed that Malaysia is more interesting and lots cheaper than Singapore.

We stayed in Singapore for 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt Singapore before heading to KL. We decided to try the bus from Singapore to KL. I booked tickets online with Transtar. The double decker bus has 18 single pod (Solitaire) style seats, similar to airplane business or first class seats, AVOD and lunch provided, we paid 60USD per person. The ride was 6 hours from Singapore Golden Mile complex to Bukit Bintang.

In KL we stayed at JW Marriott. I contacted the hotel prior to arrival and was assigned a Junior Suite as a Platinum guest. Just as Dolphinyong reported I experienced great service from this property. I had dinner at both Lot10 and Pavilion across from JW. Food at Lot10 was cheaper, but the Pavilion food court has more varieties and better ambiance. I would definitely stay at JW again when coming back to KL.

We went to Penang for a few days after KL. Penang was a very interesting town, especially Georgetown. While we enjoyed KL, Penang was the highlight of our trip. We stayed at the Traders in Penang and took the free hotel shuttle to their sister property, Golden Sands Resort in Batu Ferringghi for some beach time and night market.

Over all, we had a great time in Malaysia and will definitely be back.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:13 am

I can contribute to this thread as well, it's time to make contribution after being long time lurker=)

CT
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Great, more opinions mean more information=) Are you Malaysian as well?

Originally Posted by CoupleTraveler
I can contribute to this thread as well, it's time to make contribution after being long time lurker=)

CT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.