Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your information. I don't really recommend to take the bus from LCCT to Salak Tinggi then take the train from there to KL Centre, and so on. It certainly takes more time and it costs more or less the same if you take the shuttle bus straight away from LCCT to KL Centre. The train that you took from Salak Tinggi is the means of transport that I personally don't like the most, they are always not on time, slow and sometimes can get very crowded. And pickpocket happens from time to time at the train, so must be careful.

More information/feed back are highly appreciated=)
Regards=)

Originally Posted by RussellJ
Just to give you some experience of what we encountered in March when we landed at LCC (approx 2.30pm) & stayed at Berjaya Times Sq-every connection went as well as it could & it still took us 2hrs to get to hotel. This is what we encountered-Flight departed on time & landed a few minutes early. We disembarked down stairs & it was a long walk to the terminal but 99% under cover. No immigration form, received a stamp, some bags were already taken off the carousel by the time we arrived to collect! We then walked straight out of the airport - no checks seemed be happening.

LCCT to Berjaya Times Square Hotel
We opted for the combined bus/transit train to Sentral & then monorail & purchased bus/train ticket on the way out of airport. Found the bus ok (it was just pulling up) & then a 20 odd minute ride to Selak Tinggi Station for the transit train- very quiet & we were there about 15 minutes before the train arrived. Train was modern & clean, plenty of room for bags but no racks. Arrived at Sentral & had to make a bit longer walk around to monorail as there were building works going on. Purchased tickets for monorail (get a blue token) & did the quick 4 stop trip to the station that is linked to the hotel. The connections all worked well although the reality was it was 2hrs from touchdown until we walked in the hotel door.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: All of them
Hey Dolphinyong,

Thanks for starting this thread. It's a huge help for people who aren't familiar with Malaysia. I've got 2 questions for you.

1) What what be a good amount of time for a family to spend in KL for their first visit? 5 days? more? less?

2) Would you say the Sheraton Imperial or the Westin would be a location for getting out a walking around where the action is?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platiumum Lifetime, Star Alliance Gold
We were in KL last summer, the Sheraton Imperial is 2 blocks from the subway, very central. The Westin was more central but a higher category, not worth the extra $ in my mind. We spent 3 days, seemed enough but are heading back as using air asia you have to at some point transition through KL. TIP - Watch the return fare from the hotel, if you leave early (i.e before 6 am - we had an 8 am flight out) you will pay dearly. Taxi meter rates double (?100USD to airport?). You cannot negotiate. Also, the hotel can send someone to line up for your tickets to the Petronas Towers - the cost doubles but who wants to get up at 5 am to line up for tickets when on holiday, still reasonable... You can also request a view of the towers, we did and were accommodated. The Batuu caves would be a good spot for your trip too - accessible via subway and very cool (you may see monkeys and can opt to pay as we did for the bat caves - watch the roaches underfoot)...

Dolphin, we would like to visit a second spot, Kota Kinabalu seems to offer quite a lot (attractions, beach, mountains etc). Would you think this a good second city to visit?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malty.one
We were in KL last summer, the Sheraton Imperial is 2 blocks from the subway, very central. The Westin was more central but a higher category, not worth the extra $ in my mind. We spent 3 days, seemed enough but are heading back as using air asia you have to at some point transition through KL. TIP - Watch the return fare from the hotel, if you leave early (i.e before 6 am - we had an 8 am flight out) you will pay dearly. Taxi meter rates double (?100USD to airport?). You cannot negotiate. Also, the hotel can send someone to line up for your tickets to the Petronas Towers - the cost doubles but who wants to get up at 5 am to line up for tickets when on holiday, still reasonable... You can also request a view of the towers, we did and were accommodated. The Batuu caves would be a good spot for your trip too - accessible via subway and very cool (you may see monkeys and can opt to pay as we did for the bat caves - watch the roaches underfoot)...

Dolphin, we would like to visit a second spot, Kota Kinabalu seems to offer quite a lot (attractions, beach, mountains etc). Would you think this a good second city to visit?
Thanks a lot for your stay review, Malty.one, it certainly helps. The taxi shouldn't cost that much, the best may be to ask about the hotel shuttle if your flight is that early, it wouldn't cost 100usd. Or else you can always take a taxi to KL central station, and from there, take the airport shuttle. The distance from hotels in Bukit Bintang to KL central is not very far, so even you met some dishonest taxi driver, the cost wouldn't be so high. The shuttle starts as early as 3am, the journey would take approximately 1 hour, and the price is still the same as the daytime price.

Kota Kinabalu is a fantastic city. As you said, the beaches are one of those most beautiful in the world. Reserved forest there worth a visit too. TAR marine park and Sipadan island are wonderful place to relax yourself. I have to tell you that it happens some ten years ago a mass caucasian kidnap case at Sipadan island by the rebellious army from Philippines. Can't comment about the security now at this island.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goAsia
Hey Dolphinyong,

Thanks for starting this thread. It's a huge help for people who aren't familiar with Malaysia. I've got 2 questions for you.

1) What what be a good amount of time for a family to spend in KL for their first visit? 5 days? more? less?

2) Would you say the Sheraton Imperial or the Westin would be a location for getting out a walking around where the action is?
1. It actually depends on what kind of pace you prefer. Usually my gf and I like to have slow pace of travelling, we would go back the hotel in the afternoon to have a short nap, then continue till night for example. With your plan to stay at Seraton/Westin, I supposed you prefer the relaxing way of trip. If so, 4days 3nigts should be enough. The weather in Malaysia is kinda hot nowadays, having a bath and nap in the afternoon might make your trip more relaxing and less tiring.

2. Westin KL is right in the heart of the Bukit Bintang, shopping malls are all around you. Sheraton is not far to those shopping malls too actually, but might require some walking. However, if you plan to have a visit to Petronas tower, the National Mosque and some 'Must Visit' tourist spots, you will need the LRT somehow. Both hotels are within walking distance to LRT stations, so it came to the question of how much you would like to spend for your accommodation.

Sorry for late reply, was busy last few days=)

Last edited by Dolphinyong; Jul 6, 2012 at 4:22 am
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: All of them
Thanks, Dolphinyong. That helps me a lot with our travel plans. I tried looking at maps to get a feeling for where the SPG properties were but never could tell exactly where how far stuff was from them. I think we may go with the Westin.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Good to know this thread.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Nice thread Dolphinyong, thanks for your kind assistance!

I am thinking of 13 days in Malaysia. I know I want 3 days in Penang, and at least 3 days on the island of Borneo.

One question: If I have four days to spend between Melacca and KL, should I split it 2 and 2 or should I do Melacca as a day trip from KL?

Another question: Should I spend some time in Langkawi or spend longer than 3 days in Kota Kinabalu (or somewhere else in Eastern Malaysia).

(I've looked at the East Coast of Western Malaysia, but because of the time of year, February, I'm afraid the snorkeling won't be good due to choppy water).

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Nice thread Dolphinyong, thanks for your kind assistance!

I am thinking of 13 days in Malaysia. I know I want 3 days in Penang, and at least 3 days on the island of Borneo.

One question: If I have four days to spend between Melacca and KL, should I split it 2 and 2 or should I do Melacca as a day trip from KL?

Another question: Should I spend some time in Langkawi or spend longer than 3 days in Kota Kinabalu (or somewhere else in Eastern Malaysia).

(I've looked at the East Coast of Western Malaysia, but because of the time of year, February, I'm afraid the snorkeling won't be good due to choppy water).

Thanks!
You're welcome, it's my pleasure to help=)

1 : I will suggest you to spend 1day in Melacca and 3days in KL. Visiting the historical part of Melacca would be sufficient, and 1day is enough.

2 : 3days for Penang island is enough. You can take the ferry to Langkawi island. Snorkeling at Langkawi island during February is a nice choice as it's hidden from the monsoon season, it's a shopping heaven as well. Kota Kinabalu is a nice city, you can visit the rain forest there at Mount Kinabalu, it's fabulous. However, one of the nicest island there like the Sipadan island will be affected by the monsoon season in Feb. But you might wanna spend some time to visit the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (islands) at the Borneo, it's not affected by the monsoon season in Feb. So, it's up to you whether you wanna have snorkeling + shopping or a more near to nature snorkeling.

Hope it helps. Regards.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Would like to report back on last trip to KL.
1. I took train from KLIA to Sentral. Then taxi from KL Sentral to bukit bintang, since i had big luggage and not feeling lugging it around to monorail.
BIG MISTAKE.
True to Dolphinyong report, traffic to Bukit Bintang was really a nightmare on Friday evening (5:30pm). And to top it off, the taxi stand in Sentral is really awful.
They "sold out" on the cheapest option, and only have the "premium" one.
(sorry, i forgot the exact fare, i think it might be > RM 40). And we had to wait really long too. Not sure what's premium about the ride, it's an old, beat-down car.
Bottom line: If you want taxi, might as well took it from KLIA. It came up cheaper (RM 75 total i believe), and no hassle waiting taxi in Sentral.
Otherwise, take train, then switch to monorail.

2. If you're with big family, might be cheaper to hire a transport/van. We got got a number from a friend, for a guy with a van. His van is pretty big, and it fits 11 adults + 1 kid with a lot of luggage.
He does hourly (i think RM 40-50?). and i think RM 100 to KLCC from bukit bintang. Way cheaper than any other alternative, since there's 12 of us.
PM me if you'd like his #.

3. Accomodation, we stayed at Westin and DoubleTree. I highly recommend both.
Westin is location is perfect, in the middle of Bukit Bintang. But regular price is too expensive for KL i think (i used cash+point). Nice large room and bathroom.
DT on the other hand, is really cheap (around $90). Really nice/new property, and they treat Diamond/Gold really well. It's short walk from monorail station (ampang?).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Her are some nice websites selling restaurants, hotels or spa vouchers from time to time. It saves me some money when I travel in KL=) Read the fine print carefully though.

http://www.milkadeal.com/
http://www.groupon.my/deals/klang-va...-one/716133948
http://www.mydeal.com.my/deals/kuala...-Piccolo-Mondo
http://www.ilovediscounts.my/klang-valley/
http://www.jackcow.com/

Send me your email if you're interested, so I can send you referrals and I can earn some credits=)

Regards
Livingsocial also has KL deal (and a couple other cities in malaysia i believe).
I got some, and it got honored just fine.
(also remember, Livingsocial always has buy 3 get 1 free. So just refer to yourself if you want even better deal Essentially another 25% off)
Also, always note the valid date of those vouchers.
I almost got burned when i realized the validity is like 2 weeks after my trip. Good thing LS voucher took a while to process, and i managed to cancel once i noticed a couple of days later.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Hi, tomy77, thanks a lot for your trip report. It surely helps the others. A million thanks=)

I overlooked your last post on this thread before you left for KL, sorry for that. Looking back on it, you asked isn't the KLIA express cost you RM12.50, is it true? On the website it's RM35...

1. Sorry to hear that you got stuck in the massive traffic, 5.30pm is like the ultimate peak hour, walking on foot might be faster right...I got stuck twice there, it's unimaginable...However, I think you got 'robbed' by the taxi station, there's no such thing as cheap or premium taxi...Get only 'Metered-taxi' or get a hand written notice from the KL sentral information counter that you are looking for a Metered-taxi...Or the other trick is ask any Malaysian around you to get you a taxi, there will not be any 'premium' taxi then.

Taking LCCT taxi straight away to Bkt Bintang can be the option, but you have to avoid the traffic as well.

2. Agree on that. I have posted the link for some car/van rental, for those who are interested, do email them to ask about the price beforehand=) Not necessary to tell them that you are from US or any foreign country, to avoid any 'robbing'...Just tell them you are arriving from East, North, or South Malaysia.

3. Glad that you found the vouchers valuable. Pay attention to the fine print though=)

Once again, thanks a lot for your feedback. Hw's your trip overall?

Regards.

Originally Posted by tomy77
Would like to report back on last trip to KL.
1. I took train from KLIA to Sentral. Then taxi from KL Sentral to bukit bintang, since i had big luggage and not feeling lugging it around to monorail.
BIG MISTAKE.
True to Dolphinyong report, traffic to Bukit Bintang was really a nightmare on Friday evening (5:30pm). And to top it off, the taxi stand in Sentral is really awful.
They "sold out" on the cheapest option, and only have the "premium" one.
(sorry, i forgot the exact fare, i think it might be > RM 40). And we had to wait really long too. Not sure what's premium about the ride, it's an old, beat-down car.
Bottom line: If you want taxi, might as well took it from KLIA. It came up cheaper (RM 75 total i believe), and no hassle waiting taxi in Sentral.
Otherwise, take train, then switch to monorail.

2. If you're with big family, might be cheaper to hire a transport/van. We got got a number from a friend, for a guy with a van. His van is pretty big, and it fits 11 adults + 1 kid with a lot of luggage.
He does hourly (i think RM 40-50?). and i think RM 100 to KLCC from bukit bintang. Way cheaper than any other alternative, since there's 12 of us.
PM me if you'd like his #.

3. Accomodation, we stayed at Westin and DoubleTree. I highly recommend both.
Westin is location is perfect, in the middle of Bukit Bintang. But regular price is too expensive for KL i think (i used cash+point). Nice large room and bathroom.
DT on the other hand, is really cheap (around $90). Really nice/new property, and they treat Diamond/Gold really well. It's short walk from monorail station (ampang?).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:18 am

Hi, tomy77, thanks a lot for your trip report. It surely helps the others. A million thanks=)

I overlooked your last post on this thread before you left for KL, sorry for that. Looking back on it, you asked isn't the KLIA express cost you RM12.50, is it true? On the website it's RM35...

Once again, thanks a lot for your feedback. Hw's your trip overall?

Regards.
Yeah, it's RM 35 with KLIA Express to KL Sentral apparently.
The trip was fun. We enjoyed it.
Thanks,
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:39 am
Suspended

I think you got 'robbed' by the taxi station, there's no such thing as cheap or premium taxi...Get only 'Metered-taxi' or get a hand written notice from the KL sentral information counter that you are looking for a Metered-taxi...Or the other trick is ask any Malaysian around you to get you a taxi, there will not be any 'premium' taxi then.
Taxis at Sentral do not run on meter, and at the KLIA Ekpress arrival hall taxi rank they have both budget (red & white) and premium (blue) taxis. 2 companies are given the exclusive rights to run the budget and premium service respectively, so they each have their own monopoly.

And the fare mentioned for the premium service is the official fare, it is so outreageous I once asked them whether they use a Rolls Royce

The budget taxis are much cheaper but the drivers create an artificial
shortage during peak hours. I once queued up for 1 hr when there were only 2 passengers ahead of me. Some of these drivers would park their taxis round the corner, and they would then approach the passengers with exorbitant fares or try to pool 2 or 3 solo travellers into 1 cab. Others would just sit on the bench smoking and chatting amongst themselves, and yes I can recognize their faces !

Last edited by mario33; Jul 12, 2012 at 7:48 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
Taxis at Sentral do not run on meter, and at the KLIA Ekpress arrival hall taxi rank they have both budget (red & white) and premium (blue) taxis. 2 companies are given the exclusive rights to run the budget and premium service respectively, so they each have their own monopoly.

And the fare mentioned for the premium service is the official fare, it is so outreageous I once asked them whether they use a Rolls Royce

The budget taxis are much cheaper but the drivers create an artificial
shortage during peak hours. I once queued up for 1 hr when there were only 2 passengers ahead of me. Some of these drivers would park their taxis round the corner, and they would then approach the passengers with exorbitant fares or try to pool 2 or 3 solo travellers into 1 cab. Others would just sit on the bench smoking and chatting amongst themselves, and yes I can recognize their faces !
Sorry missed the reply by dolphinyong above.
Mario33 is right. From what i understand in KL Sentral there's no meter taxi. Only 2 "official" taxi stands. and it runs on flat rate.
So true, the "premium" is way too expensive. And the car was so not premium
And there's long wait too (only 1 ahead of me). They said it's due to traffic jam, so no car yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.