Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I'd dare say that the "world's worst terminal" thing is extremely overhyped.

It's actually pretty easy to transit between Terminals 1 and 2. If you time your flights correctly public transportation (buses and jeepneys) connect the two terminals together. There's also the airport shuttle bus, and if necessary, taxis are inexpensive.

If your EK flight is PR-coded, PR provides free transfers to Terminal 1 from Terminal 2 if your flight to SIN is on PR.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Thanks. I've heard that T1 to T2 is even easy to walk, 5 minutes? I'm not worried so much about transit time, but the time to go through Customs, get my bag, transfer, then re-enter through Security. In your experience would 2-3 hours be more than sufficient for that?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mpc7488
Thanks. I've heard that T1 to T2 is even easy to walk, 5 minutes? I'm not worried so much about transit time, but the time to go through Customs, get my bag, transfer, then re-enter through Security. In your experience would 2-3 hours be more than sufficient for that?
Yes, it is possible to walk between Terminals 1 and 2: it should take around 10-15 minutes at most. If you're arriving at Terminal 2 like in the mid-afternoon, you should be fine: that's off-peak hours for MNL and most wide bodies are allocated during that time for domestic flights rather than international ones.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Don't forget to check out this master thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...l-airport.html
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:03 am

Thanks to both of you, that helps a lot. That guide is a wealth of information (esp. since this airport doesn't have a ton of info. on it online).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:20 pm

Thanks a lot for this thread, I'm heading there in two weeks and it's great to see all of the pictures.

One question: I've read that 'Club Manila' is a nice lounge that you can buy a day pass to for about $15 USD, and is also the partner lounge for Emirates and Etihad. True? Does anyone have any experience staying there (or pictures)?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Aside: Great job, KIXman! Salamat. (I added a map and link to airport website.)

I found the transit between Domestic and International not as bad as I thought - I arrived on PR, recovered my luggage, went outside and quickly picked up a Jeepney and arrived much earlier than I thought we would for our CX departure - and was even able to depart on the earlier flight.

The only quirk occurred at Security - some were pulled out of queue to go to a shorter procedure, but the women who were traveling with men targetted (Lady JDiver amongst them) were not allowed to join them and had to process the lengthy queue, with some very autocratic folks directing the entire process.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
(I added a map and link to airport website.)
The website is actually http://www.miaa.gov.ph.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Does anyone know if there is a buy-in pay lounge in Terminal 3??? I have Priority Pass so i get in PAGSTOP lounge in Terminal 1 and am PR Premier Elite so I get in the PR lounge in Terminal 2, but no one loves me in Terminal 3 so I get treated like an orphan there. I have an ANA departure coming up and would happily buy-in to a pay lounge if one were available.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Originally Posted by Akiestar
Okay, since this is the only thread which I think is appropriate to have this, I'll post it here.

If anyone has been following local media lately, there's a big brouhaha over how NAIA (the entire airport) was ranked the worst in Asia and the fifth-worst in the world by Sleeping in Airports (http://www.sleepinginairports.com). Not sure why the media in the Philippines made such a big deal out of it, to the point that local forums are speaking about it as well, but the reaction has led to several calls for improvement of the facilities: improvements which I believe people here have seen when passing through NAIA-1.

The question now is this: do people on FT, especially those that have passed through MNL, think that NAIA is deserving of all the flak it has received over the last 1-2 weeks? Or is it all hype and hot air?
I agree with you. I dont think the airport is that bad. I found it actually a quite pleasant experience. I went to the spa and got a nice massage, also experienced some good shops and pleasant airport staff.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

I'm also interested in an option to purchase access to a lounge in terminal 3.

Last edited by adakat; Feb 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:34 pm

For those who need Visas and did not get them before leaving, depending on your citizenship they are available right at the airport (Term. 1 at least) upon arrival, and the office is open 24 hours/day. I believe that's more expensive than going to a regional office but it is convenient.

Email response from Manila Immigration Bureau: "As the holder of US passports, you may enter the Philippines visa-free and may be admitted with an initial authorized stay of 21 days provided you present passports valid for at least six months and return or onward tickets. Upon arrival, you may apply for a Visa Upon Arrival (VUA) at the airport. For the VUA, there is a payment of $50.00 Visa Fee plus P500.00 Express Fee and P10.00 Legal Research Fee. Thereafter, you may apply for one-month or two-month extensions one week prior to the expiration of your valid stay.

The counters and cashiers are operating 24 hours / day at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport."
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mpc7488
For those who need Visas and did not get them before leaving, depending on your citizenship they are available right at the airport (Term. 1 at least) upon arrival, and the office is open 24 hours/day. I believe that's more expensive than going to a regional office but it is convenient.

Email response from Manila Immigration Bureau: "As the holder of US passports, you may enter the Philippines visa-free and may be admitted with an initial authorized stay of 21 days provided you present passports valid for at least six months and return or onward tickets. Upon arrival, you may apply for a Visa Upon Arrival (VUA) at the airport. For the VUA, there is a payment of $50.00 Visa Fee plus P500.00 Express Fee and P10.00 Legal Research Fee. Thereafter, you may apply for one-month or two-month extensions one week prior to the expiration of your valid stay.

The counters and cashiers are operating 24 hours / day at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport."
I renew my PH visa by doing some R&R in HKG. These visa fees are more than a 5J RT ticket booked in advance.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:40 pm

Can anyone verify if there is a shuttle between all the terminals without having to leave the airport completely (and thus avoid using a taxi and going through the actual city which might take longer) ?

according to: http://www.silent-gardens.com/air-maps.php there seems to be a free shuttle bus connecting all the terminals now
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
There is a shuttle but it is very infrequent and quckly fills up with the locals. It is almost always better to get a taxi! You will spend a few dollars more but it is a short trip and much much quicker than the shuttle. The shuttle is actually just a small van and you probably just end up tipping the driver because he has to stuff your suitcase in the back end. I may be wrong about this but I believe that the shuttle and the taxi take the exact same route which is to exit through the security barriers and go to the public street to get to the other terminals.

Last edited by smith80678; Feb 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.