Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

How long before the Peso collapses (again)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long before the Peso collapses (again)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
Got it. I'm a travel agent sitting 4 1/2 feet from a currency exchange kiosk that can order ARS. I usually get the foreign currency well ahead of time as my budget allows, though I'll wait and do it on arrival at EZE for this trip.
It's always a good idea to have US$ to exchange in case you have trouble using your ATM card (especially if you are limited by the Argentina network in how much you can obtain each day). The airport ATMs are also known to run out of cash on occasion.

If the BCRA can't maintain an orderly devaluation, some merchants may offer a preferential exchange rate (if you pay in US$), so it's a good idea to have cash on hand.

John
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
It's always a good idea to have US$ to exchange in case you have trouble using your ATM card (especially if you are limited by the Argentina network in how much you can obtain each day). The airport ATMs are also known to run out of cash on occasion.

If the BCRA can't maintain an orderly devaluation, some merchants may offer a preferential exchange rate (if you pay in US$), so it's a good idea to have cash on hand.

John
He is Canadi>n and may not want to pay for the US$. But it is a good tip, and he may want one of those "recibos especiales" for his discounted purchase.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
He is Canadi>n ...
Well we won't hold that against him! I suspect quite a few Canucks have some US currency on hand if they travel to the US.

John
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Depending on who you speak to... some prefer the Canadian $$ to the USD considering the current financial mess...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
There was a brief period recently when the Canadian dollar was worth a few cents MORE than the US Greenback. Fortunately I was able to dash over the border to buy lots of books (another story) and it was also handy to buy a bunch of US cash at a profit. Now that the Canuck peso is back to $0.79 I'm using my US cash to advantage in exchange at EZE.

Commander Bob
Then I lose again when I go to Cuba!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
CBob-- you dont have to lose when you are in Cuba.... you just have to stay away from the official money changers and go grey market...

The USD is up one cent again, AR$3.56 offer rate for interbank transactions. Hello crawling peg......
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
$3.51 at the suggested exchange bank at EZE on Sunday. Now, if I could just find a good wine store near Four Seasons.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:42 pm

On the subject of wine... please feel free to PM me and I can provide you with more information.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Starwood PLT, Continental PLT, Virgin GLD
It would seem extremely expensive if you went there today versus 8 years ago. 8 years ago, I stayed at the Park Tower (a true Luxery Collection hotel) or $69 a night. You can hardly get the (and it's worth it) Sunday brunch for that now. It was part of the night's stay in 2001.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Starwood PLT, Continental PLT, Virgin GLD
Wine -- two options

For $15 pesos go to the corner of Suipacha and Diagonal Norte. There is an easily found store on the corner. Add 20% for being in a tourist area but offset the value by walking over to 9 de Julio and getting some exercise and good sightseeing in. For a cheaper and better selection go down to Boca (during the day) and ask a taxi drive to get you to a wine store AWAY from tourist areas (i.e El Caminito) and bargains are everywhere!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by timhall33
It would seem extremely expensive if you went there today versus 8 years ago. 8 years ago, I stayed at the Park Tower (a true Luxery Collection hotel) or $69 a night. You can hardly get the (and it's worth it) Sunday brunch for that now. It was part of the night's stay in 2001.
Its pertinent to add that while everybody loves an amazing deal, prices during the 2001-02 period were not "normal" prices, but rather extraordinary prices brought by the huge financial/economic/political crisis that hit Argentine during those times.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:26 pm

The exchange rate edged up another centavo today:
3.54/3.57 Buy/Sell

John
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The exchange rate edged up another centavo today:
3.54/3.57 Buy/Sell

John
It has been hovering more or less around that point all week.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:48 am

The slow slide continues - up another centavo today - 3.55/3.58 Buy/Sell

John
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:19 pm

The slow slide continues - up another centavo today - 3.55/3.58 Buy/Sell
Grey market Sell is at 3.75 - 3.80 .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.