Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

How long before the Peso collapses (again)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long before the Peso collapses (again)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Are you trying to suggest that people would get a much better and perhaps more enjoyable value (i.e., no worries about early or late check-out) if they rented apartments, on say, Paseo Colon? I have heard that some rental apartments even have hotel soaps and shampoo.
Only if the apartment is tranquilo, muy luminoso, and has at least 300-thread count cotton sheets.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:23 pm

Of course people in-the-know reside in Las Cañitas - like my next door neighbor with his "pied-à-terre on the trendiest street in B.A".

http://nymag.com/guides/changeyourlife/16047/

John
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

John, thats a 3 year old story.....
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

John, thats a 3 year old story.....
He is old, and forgetful, and can't even read "street cleaning" signs

(I fear the reply to this one!)
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:15 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Of course people in-the-know reside in Las Cañitas - like my next door neighbor with his "pied-à-terre on the trendiest street in B.A".

http://nymag.com/guides/changeyourlife/16047/

John
I enjoyed the story even though it is three years--and about 200-300% inflation-wise--out-of-date.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:56 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by boar
Obviously there is a huge difference in a 7-14 day holiday & a longer term stay. BA is cheap if you rent an apartment. There are very few other cities in the world that can match the BA apartment market for value. This make long term stays incredible value. Naturally most tourists opt for hotels
As I'm planning a first visit to Buenos Aires soon, where can one find a good site or local agent to book an apartment say for a month? I would assume a month is about the minimum?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
As I'm planning a first visit to Buenos Aires soon, where can one find a good site or local agent to book an apartment say for a month? I would assume a month is about the minimum?
You can rent an apartment for a week - no 1 month minimum. Many apartments have a weekly rate and then a discounted rate if you rent for a whole month.

I won't personally make any recommendations about which agency to use but you will find some ideas in this recent thread amongst others:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...nos-aires.html
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I would suggest you consider renting with Buenos Aires Habitat. As I understand it, they have a one week minumum rental... not one month.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:46 am

The Greenback hit AR$3.50 (offer) today... closing at the highest level in almost 6 years. The only time the Peso was at this level was around the 2002 meltdown, where it hovered over AR$4.00 for a few weeks.

Analysts are looking to see what the Argentine Central Bank will do this week (in terms of intervention)..... so lets wait and see.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: None-Airline employee
This article below shows the risk of default of selected countries. Argentina tops the list.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1162...tinues-to-rise
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:28 am

The Dolar is at AR$3.55 today... some analysts are talking about a controlled devaluation throughout the rest of this year, with the Dolar getting to A$3.90 - 4.00 by the end of this year.

Details in this story... (Spanish only):

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1101604
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The Dolar is at AR$3.55 today... some analysts are talking about a controlled devaluation throughout the rest of this year, with the Dolar getting to A$3.90 - 4.00 by the end of this year.

So I should wait until much closer to my June EZE trip to buy my peso, correct?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tcook052
So I should wait until much closer to my June EZE trip to buy my peso, correct?
You should wait until you get there. If you are flying in, the Banco de la Nacion at EZE is going to give you pretty much the official rate (or as close as you will get, even from a no-fee ATM). AR$ aren't really something you find for sale in most parts of the world. Many might consider investing in GM or Chrysler more appealing.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You should wait until you get there. If you are flying in, the Banco de la Nacion at EZE is going to give you pretty much the official rate (or as close as you will get, even from a no-fee ATM). AR$ aren't really something you find for sale in most parts of the world. Many might consider investing in GM or Chrysler more appealing.
Got it. I'm a travel agent sitting 4 1/2 feet from a currency exchange kiosk that can order ARS. I usually get the foreign currency well ahead of time as my budget allows, though I'll wait and do it on arrival at EZE for this trip.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:33 pm

On Tuesday, when the peso starting weakening again, some economists predicated that the peso might hit 4.5 by the end of the year (again only in Spanish):

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1100642

The (futures) market indicates an expected rate of 3.68 by the end of June, and 3.90 by years end.

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.