Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Please dont forget Caminito and La Boca as part of the first timers list. Some other optionals are:

1) Malba Museum
2) Museo de Arte Decorativo
3) Plaza de Mayo
4) Cafe Tortoni on Av. de Mayo
5) Teatro Colon (guided tour)
... certainly not to be missed.

Any hotels around Caminito and La Boca that you recommend?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 21, 2005 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
... certainly not to be missed.

Any hotels around Caminito and La Boca that you recommend?
No. This area, in terms of accomodation, would not be on my recommendation list unless one is perfectly fluent in spanish and is on a survival backpacker budget.

Please note that there may be some ultra posh and luxurious boutique hotel I dont know about that may be well worth considering... if someone has a place to point out please do so.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:21 am

Please dont forget Caminito and La Boca as part of the first timers list. Some other optionals are:

1) Malba Museum
2) Museo de Arte Decorativo
3) Plaza de Mayo
4) Cafe Tortoni on Av. de Mayo
5) Teatro Colon (guided tour)
Gaucho100K:

Sure, we did all this. Your opera is great .. we enjoyed Mozart's "Requiem", great performance!

But what is Caminito?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No. This area, in terms of accomodation, would not be on my recommendation list unless one is perfectly fluent in spanish and is on a survival backpacker budget.

Please note that there may be some ultra posh and luxurious boutique hotel I dont know about that may be well worth considering... if someone has a place to point out please do so.
I see you got my point.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Gaucho100K:

Sure, we did all this. Your opera is great .. we enjoyed Mozart's "Requiem", great performance!

But what is Caminito?
Calle Caminito ( which is in the La Boca District of BA) is a sort of "Arts Fair " area. The houses are usually made from metal sheeting and are brightly painted like Valparaiso, often with unsual shapes and angles etc.
Especially on weekends, the street are packed with artists and street performers etc
You will find some great little paintings, metal figurines made from all sorts of unusual stuff at unbelievably low prices. If you need to buy any sort of gifts etc this is the place to go.
Its somewhat comparable to Los Dominicos in Santiago.
mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Jun 22, 2005 at 3:23 pm Reason: spelling (what else?)
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
GF and I are going on our first trip to Argentina the last two weeks of July - AS IAD-SEA-LAX in F, LA LAX-(LIM, SCL)-EZE in J. Just booked it a couple days ago - we're very excited, needless to say. I've read much of this thread and others.

But I have a quick question for the experts, before AS tickets our reservation tomorrow night - we're planning to see BA and Iguazu, and are deciding between a few other destinations for the third and final: Colonia/Montevideo, for a different city scene; Bariloche, for the town, mountains, lakes, and chocolate; Mendoza, for the city, mountains and wine; or maybe elsewhere - we're open to suggestions. (I'd love to ski a day, but GF isn't so excited about that idea.)

For first time visitors, what would be our best option for the last couple of days of our trip?

I ask because it is a possibility to change our award ticket before it's ticketed to an open jaw return out of Mendoza, allowing us to one-way plane or overnight bus there. The other destinations would be r/t's from BA by appropriate means (no award seats available).

Edited to add: We thought about it a bit more and did some further research, and we decided we'd have so much to do between BA and Iguazu, and maybe a day over in Uruguay, that we'd save Bariloche and Mendoza for future trips.

Last edited by DCA-SEA; Jun 23, 2005 at 2:14 pm
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Calle Caminito ( which is in the La Boca District of BA) is a sort of "Arts Fair " area. The houses are usually made from metal sheeting and are brightly painted like Valparaiso, often with unsual shapes and angles etc.
Especially on weekends, the street are packed with artists and street performers etc
You will find some great little paintings, metal figurines made from all sorts of unusual stuff at unbelievably low prices. If you need to buy any sort of gifts etc this is the place to go.
Its somewhat comparable to Los Dominicos in Santiago.
mike
MIKESILV:

Thanks. I was not aware that a street at La Boca was called Caminito.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:19 pm

What are typical fares from California to EZE? I've just started to look at airfares for the last week of August and I've been able to price economy class tickets from SFO-EZE for US$912 rt, including taxes. This is on AA.

Also, LAX-EZE rt around US$800. But I need to fly out of SFO/SJC/OAK.

How much is considered cheap?

Last edited by cornellstudent; Jun 22, 2005 at 8:21 pm
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:23 pm

SFO/EZE fares

Originally Posted by cornellstudent
What are typical fares from California to EZE? I've just started to look at airfares for the last week of August and I've been able to price economy class tickets from SFO-EZE for US$912 rt, including taxes. This is on AA.

Also, LAX-EZE rt around US$800. But I need to fly out of SFO/SJC/OAK.

How much is considered cheap?
Right now the cheapest fares I can find are TAM (Brasil) via MIA and GRU for $ 785 or LAN Peru via LAX and LIM for 812. The fares are ex-SFO
Glad I could help a fellow Cornellie!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
While I havent been in the market for US to EZE fares in a long while now, if the idea is to get lowest possible fares I would not rule out checking with Aerolineas Argentinas.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:07 am

While I havent been in the market for US to EZE fares in a long while now, if the idea is to get lowest possible fares I would not rule out checking with Aerolineas Argentinas.
Thanks. Are there any seasonal variations in airfare? I know that trans-pacific fares are usually more expensive during peak periods (december, the week before xmas). Does this apply to flights between the US and South America? When are good off-peak times to travel?

I'm flirting with the idea of visiting sometime within the 8 months. But the thing that's holding me back is that I would like a travel companion. All my friends either have no money or have no interest in traveling to South America. What a shame Is anyone going during the 3rd week of Aug, perhaps around 8/17-8/22?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornellstudent
Thanks. Are there any seasonal variations in airfare?
Certainly. Dates around the Xmas season are specially difficult, so do book early by all means.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:17 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Mendoza Wineries

I'll be traveling to Argentina for the first time in September (02-Sep-2005 until 10-Sep-2005). I'm currently planning to visit BA for a few days, and then from the 6th to the 9th head to Mendoza. Since I'll be traveling solo, does anyone have any suggestions on how to arrange transportation to visit wineries in the area? Are there any known tour operators that come recommended?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
I'll be traveling to Argentina for the first time in September (02-Sep-2005 until 10-Sep-2005). I'm currently planning to visit BA for a few days, and then from the 6th to the 9th head to Mendoza. Since I'll be traveling solo, does anyone have any suggestions on how to arrange transportation to visit wineries in the area? Are there any known tour operators that come recommended?
I would recommend a small car with a driver. You can of course rent a car and drive yourself, but Im not sure its worth the hassle. Im afraid I cant point you to any travel operator at this point, though. Perhaps someone else can help out in that aspect?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:37 pm

Smile Street Crime

Originally Posted by benjoe
Should the average tourist be wary of street crime in BA? Thanks.
I find Ba As to be a very safe city. We travelled throughout the city (Palermo, San Telmo, Recoleto, Belgrande and Downtown) and never felt unsafe or uncomfortable.
Loved the Palermo area. Charcas Blvd and Colonel Diaz area is excellent and very safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.