Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat/2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist. PA WorldPass
That's an angle I hadn't even thought about... TSA had pretty much got me thinking that locking my luggage was something I'd never do again. But I guess it's not as much of an issue south of the border (very south of the border, in this case).

I'm on a single ticket, SCL-EZE-JFK. Truthfully, I'll only be away for a few days so I may end up carrying on (will require me to scrounge for travel-size toiletries tonight, but perhaps worth the convenience). Are bag storage facilities at EZE convenient upon arrival?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ClipperJCM
That's an angle I hadn't even thought about... TSA had pretty much got me thinking that locking my luggage was something I'd never do again. But I guess it's not as much of an issue south of the border (very south of the border, in this case).

I'm on a single ticket, SCL-EZE-JFK. Truthfully, I'll only be away for a few days so I may end up carrying on (will require me to scrounge for travel-size toiletries tonight, but perhaps worth the convenience). Are bag storage facilities at EZE convenient upon arrival?

Thanks again.
On a similar itinerary of LA for SCL-EZE and then evening AA departure for EZE-MIA/DFW/JFK I had no issue with checking my luggage in at SCL without having to collect it at EZE. That is, you should have the option of checking your luggage in at SCL and not having to claim it until the first port of entry in the US if you so choose.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by rkt10
Now I just have to get a few more ATM cards in case I run into problems with my one (standard, no VISA or MC logo). I don't want to take cash advances against my AMEX or regular AA MasterCard.
I also heard recently from my Citibank banker that you can use debit cards with Visa or Mastercards by going inside a bank and doing a "cash advanced" just like you would do with a creditcard. but since it's a debit card, you won't get hit the high interest rates.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:29 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dmk11
I also heard recently from my Citibank banker that you can use debit cards with Visa or Mastercards by going inside a bank and doing a "cash advanced" just like you would do with a creditcard. but since it's a debit card, you won't get hit the high interest rates.
Interesting option. Still, are you sure that no fees are involved? Nowadays, banks only waive fees for non human related transactions.... if you have to walk up and speak to an actual person I find it hard to believe that all fees will be waived.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: United, HHonors Diamond, SPG, AvisFirst
Can anyone tell me how good/bad the LAN Argentina Business class is, or at least compared to Continental Business.

Thanks in advance. Looking to book a trip and LAN argentina may fit in somehow.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Gaucho100K,

I had not posted in this thread before, but my wife and I will be in B.A. from this coming Sunday 19 Nov until Monday 27 Nov, with 3 days side trip up to Iguazu, and possibly one side trip day to Colonia or perhaps Montevideo.

Looking forward to visiting your lovely country. And have been drinking a few Malbecs while at home to get ready for it! I did take down the info about your restaurant, and a number of your valuable posts.

Very much happily anticipating my first of what I hope will be many visits to South America and specifically Argentina. So much to see, so I'm already planning out miles usage for future trips!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Mark-- happy to hear you will be visiting us down here. Please note that I am not in the restaurant business, Im instead a wine merchant. Hope you have a great trip!!

Originally Posted by MarkXS
Gaucho100K,

I had not posted in this thread before, but my wife and I will be in B.A. from this coming Sunday 19 Nov until Monday 27 Nov, with 3 days side trip up to Iguazu, and possibly one side trip day to Colonia or perhaps Montevideo.

Looking forward to visiting your lovely country. And have been drinking a few Malbecs while at home to get ready for it! I did take down the info about your restaurant, and a number of your valuable posts.

Very much happily anticipating my first of what I hope will be many visits to South America and specifically Argentina. So much to see, so I'm already planning out miles usage for future trips!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Hello all! I am excited that I will be going to Buenos Aires in the summer of '07 (well...winter in BA). I will arrive towards the end of July and spend three nights (two full days). I arrive at 10pm, and then have two full days before flying out in the morning on day three.

Having never been to BA I was hoping for some advice:

First, where should I stay? Being unfamiliar with BA should I stay at an airport hotel my first night and switch hotels the next day, rather than venture downtown late in the evening? Secondly, as far as hotel suggestions, this is part of my graduation present (from Law School) to myself so my budget will be rather tight. I'd rather not stay in hostels, but I can't afford the Ritz. Budget, but quality would be great, and if it had character even better.

Secondly, what should i make sure I hit? I was thinking of spending one whirlwind day touring BA and spend my second in the Delta region, but you guys know more than I!

Thanks for any advice!
-dcstudent

Last edited by dcstudent; Nov 19, 2006 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Stay in the city itself for each and every night your are there, including night of arrival.

There are a good number of options in a variety of budget ranges, but my knowledge of truly budget options is very limited. I know a lot of decent deals are even had on arrival by using the lodging booking facilities of some agencies located landside (right after customs). However, I don't know if they'll be open at the hour you get there or not, so book something before arrival if you can help it.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Hello all! I am excited that I will be going to Buenos Aires in the summer of '07 (well...winter in BA). I will arrive towards the end of July and spend three nights (two full days). I arrive at 10pm, and then have two full days before flying out in the morning on day three.

Having never been to BA I was hoping for some advice:

First, where should I stay? Being unfamiliar with BA should I stay at an airport hotel my first night and switch hotels the next day, rather than venture downtown late in the evening? Secondly, as far as hotel suggestions, this is part of my graduation present (from Law School) to myself so my budget will be rather tight. I'd rather not stay in hostels, but I can't afford the Ritz. Budget, but quality would be great, and if it had character even better.

Secondly, what should i make sure I hit? I was thinking of spending one whirlwind day touring BA and spend my second in the Delta region, but you guys know more than I!

Thanks for any advice!
-dcstudent
I can't help with budget hotels. However, definitely spend your first night in town. BA is a very, very safe city, and the airport is a good 45 minute ride (in not traffic) from the city. BA is also a late night city -- restaurants are deserted at 8 pm, and only start getting busy around 10 pm. One night, we made an 11 pm dinner reservation, and found the restaurant packed, with more people coming in even as we finished our dinner. You'll miss out on a wonderful evening if you spend it at the airport.

I also would spend more than one day in BA. BA is like Paris -- it's a "walking around" city. Just as in Paris, you will want to sit in the many sidewalk cafes, sip an espresso and watch passers by. You'll want to stroll through the many beautiful parks, peak into the many inviting stores, drop in to a tango salon (not the same as the formal shows for tourists) and, generally, just experience this very beautiful city. We spent 8 nights there, and it was not enough.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Mark-- happy to hear you will be visiting us down here. Please note that I am not in the restaurant business, Im instead a wine merchant. Hope you have a great trip!!
Ah, I knew that but then got confused and I think I mis-read another post about someone´s restuarant.

Where is your wine shop? We definitely need to pick up some vino for ourselves and also for a gift for a friend who is watching our dog.

We´re having a lovely time on our first day here.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkXS
Where is your wine shop? We definitely need to pick up some vino for ourselves and also for a gift for a friend who is watching our dog.
We are located in Palermo, I will PM you the details.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thank you GUWonder and PTravel for your recommendations of heading straight downtown. That is what I will do. I'll also reiterate my question as to budget hotels for anyone else who views this board, and also be more specific. I'm probably looking for rooms in the 50-75$ range per night, and would like to trend in the lower end of the range if at all possible. One bed and breakfast that looks promising is the La Otra Orilla in Palermo Viejo (I don't know what that means as far as whether a good negihborhood to stay in or not), www.otraorilla.com but I'd appreciate other suggestions. Thanks again!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Thank you GUWonder and PTravel for your recommendations of heading straight downtown. That is what I will do. I'll also reiterate my question as to budget hotels for anyone else who views this board, and also be more specific. I'm probably looking for rooms in the 50-75$ range per night, and would like to trend in the lower end of the range if at all possible. One bed and breakfast that looks promising is the La Otra Orilla in Palermo Viejo (I don't know what that means as far as whether a good negihborhood to stay in or not), www.otraorilla.com but I'd appreciate other suggestions. Thanks again!
Easy. Stay at the Ibis. I've done it. Cheap, clean, safe and convenient.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
GW Bushes daughter gets her purse snached ,
a secret service guy gets mugged (must be embarrasing )

What area of Buenos Aires were they saying in ?

I thought it was a "safe" city in the tourist zones

Rally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.