Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The best bet is to hire any of the Remis (like private taxi) services inside the airport - just past customs inspection and before you enter the general public area. They are all about the same, except Manuel Tienda Leon's cars could be a bit nicer, and they are more expensive than the others. They all take credit cards. No reservations necessary.
Don't pay with credit card under any circumstances. They bank will charge you the official exchange rate!i I always step outside and get the best deal from competing drivers. They will be also happy to take a payment in dollars. Tell them your return date/time, ask for business card/cell number and claim additional discount for both ways with the same driver. In practical terms, you will not be returning to the airport with the same driver but they will connect with local buddy who will pick you up from the hotel right on time and charge less as agreed upon arrival. Tested numerous times! Have no fear my friend, thousands of people do it everyday!^
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
Don't pay with credit card under any circumstances. They bank will charge you the official exchange rate!i I always step outside and get the best deal from competing drivers. They will be also happy to take a payment in dollars. Tell them your return date/time, ask for business card/cell number and claim additional discount for both ways with the same driver. In practical terms, you will not be returning to the airport with the same driver but they will connect with local buddy who will pick you up from the hotel right on time and charge less as agreed upon arrival. Tested numerous times! Have no fear my friend, thousands of people do it everyday!^
The "official exchange rate" has been substantially similar to the Blue rate for over a year. I "have no fear" (and in fact, have a regular driver that I use), but for a typical tourist, I recommend that people take a vehicle that (1) can be tracked in case anything irregular occurs (including forgetting something in the vehicle), (2) will take the most efficient route, even if it incurs tolls, and (3) will keep you out of the bad areas (which could occur during highway toll-avoidance).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
There is no problem in paying by credit card now. Since December 2015 , the credit card rate is virtually the same as the official rate . The blue rate is only 0.20/0.30 above the official rate at the moment.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by malagajohn
There is no problem in paying by credit card now. Since December 2015 , the credit card rate is virtually the same as the official rate . The blue rate is only 0.20/0.30 above the official rate at the moment.
Exactly, I received 25 basis points higher yesterday $15.50 ARS from a local Cuerva in Palermo Viejo.. I was curious and only cashed $100.. Place was still doing a brisk business..
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Exactly, I received 25 basis points higher yesterday $15.50 ARS from a local Cuerva in Palermo Viejo.. I was curious and only cashed $100.. Place was still doing a brisk business..

Maybe because the banks were closed because of the strike?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Alvear Art Hotel

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:51 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 3, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Alvear properties all have top notch reputations, so Im sure you will be happy with their services. The Sutton family has a long tradition as Hoteliers and they dont cut corners. Their rates are never cheap, but they deliver the goods.... so if you can palate the rates they want, Im guessing you will not be disappointed.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I haven't seen the rooms but the restaurant at the Alvear Art is pretty good and the area around the hotel has become quite "champagne bohemian" over the last few years.

Your other options are the two Sheratons and the Holiday Inn. Based on location and the hall/bar/restaurants, I like the Alvear Art better.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:38 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:47 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 7, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I say we do the Puchero at the new Alvear location !!!!! ^
Old May 7, 2017, 3:27 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:46 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 7, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I will put this on my to-do list for tomorrow and call the Concierge Desk at the Alvear to get the information on this.... will report back once I have further information.

Originally Posted by cyborg
Ok, so do we know when they serve? Is it Sunday like the Plaza or something different?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old May 22, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: WP
Any hotels in BA offering day rate? Searched and found some old threads, not sure if they are still relevant. Will have around 8hrs of layover returning from IPC, landing into AEP around 1235 and leaving from EZE around 2050.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by island82
Any hotels in BA offering day rate? Searched and found some old threads, not sure if they are still relevant. Will have around 8hrs of layover returning from IPC, landing into AEP around 1235 and leaving from EZE around 2050.
An 8-hour layover including changing airports means less than 5 hours at the hotel when you add check in times. I would just go to EZE and spend time at the lounge.

That said, the Holiday Inn off EZE might have day rates and they offer free transfer to EZE.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Marambio
An 8-hour layover including changing airports means less than 5 hours at the hotel when you add check in times. I would just go to EZE and spend time at the lounge.

That said, the Holiday Inn off EZE might have day rates and they offer free transfer to EZE.
Funny - you assume there's lounge access

But back on point - AEP arrival - figure a remote "gate" and by the time you go through immigration, get your bag, and customs, you will be leaving AEP approx. 1330. You can figure transit time of a bit under 60 minutes at that hour. If you leave the city after 1630 or so, plan additional time. If you are flying out in the main cabin of any airline, I suggest a 3 hour prior to departure EZE arrival (1750).

Note that if you are flying an airline that doesn't have a staffed ticket counter during the day, you will get to EZE with almost nowhere to go and nothing to do. If that is the case, I'd check out the HI near EZE. It isn't exactly airport convenient, but it is on the way and with a shuttle, you're in good shape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.