receipt rant

Old Apr 24, 18, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
receipt rant

Honestly, I really want to like Amtrak. But sometimes they just infuriate me and remind me that the US is a third-rate, third-world country.

I booked a trip to DC last week for work. I get an email with the eticket, great. But I realized today when preparing my expenses that I never got a receipt. OK, no big deal. I look at the eticket and go to the website - can't see any way to print a receipt or see the total fare. Then I call Amtrak and get patched through to a phone rep. She tells me that there is literally no way for me to obtain a copy of the receipt on my own due to Amtrak's own internal systems. The phone rep had to take my details down and submit a request for a receipt to some tech department, and she says I should receive one within three days.

W. T. F.? Seriously? How is this even possible?

This seriously pisses me off because it means I can't finish my expenses today before I leave on this trip.
Old Apr 24, 18, 2:17 pm

Typically the email itself contains all the receipt information, such as fare paid. The emails are titled "eTicket and Receipt for your mm/dd/yyyy trip". That email WAS your receipt. Lost it?
DoB840 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 18, 4:57 pm

Right, all my tickets arrive attached to an email that contains the receipt in the text.
Old Apr 24, 18, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Nope. I got an email with one attachment, and that was the eticket. It shows my itinerary, name and rewards number, plus the scannable code for the train conductor, but that's it.

The email has absolutely no confirmation of the price or any other transaction info.

The phone rep told me I should have received two emails, one with the ticket and one with the receipt. That seems to be what I've gotten in the past, if memory serves. But this time I only received the one.
Old Apr 24, 18, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
Honestly, I really want to like Amtrak. But sometimes they just infuriate me and remind me that the US is a third-rate, third-world country.

I booked a trip to DC last week for work. I get an email with the eticket, great. But I realized today when preparing my expenses that I never got a receipt. OK, no big deal. I look at the eticket and go to the website - can't see any way to print a receipt or see the total fare. Then I call Amtrak and get patched through to a phone rep. She tells me that there is literally no way for me to obtain a copy of the receipt on my own due to Amtrak's own internal systems. The phone rep had to take my details down and submit a request for a receipt to some tech department, and she says I should receive one within three days.

W. T. F.? Seriously? How is this even possible?

This seriously pisses me off because it means I can't finish my expenses today before I leave on this trip.
Is there anyway you can get if from your credit card company and remember you won't owe them any money until the bill comes.

Bob H
Old Apr 24, 18, 8:46 pm

They used to do them separately, up until late 2013. Now they do them together. The receipt is in the body of the email, the ticket is a PDF attachment. I travel every week on Amtrak and they all show this way. Not sure why yours is different.

eg, this is the last ticket I purchased:

Old Apr 25, 18, 8:29 am

Sometimes, when Amtrak re-issued the ticket for some reason, I have had what the OP described. For example, if I noticed the fare had decreased and I called to get the cheaper fare, Amtrak would change my room but the new ticket would show only the new accommodation but not show the pricing information. Similarly, if I had booked a roomette but the bedroom price dropped, I might call to switch, and the new ticket would omit the new price.

I'm not saying this happens all the time or even usually, but I have received a new ticket without the fare information.
Old Apr 27, 18, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Well, it's resolved - they sent me two different receipt emails (plus one random one saying my reservation had changed - it hadn't) over the past couple of days.

So utterly bizarre.

Search this Thread